Area D Marching Contest

So from the scores it looks like Bowie and CP were the obvious top 2 and then 3-7 looks pretty close? Interesting. Should be a fantastic State competition, hopefully I can make it to SA. I think all the Area D bands are capable of finals this year and I fully expect 4 at least. Can anyone post the prelims results?

I don't have the recap sheet, but I looked at it last night and it was wild. All three music judges had Akins out of the top 10 but both marching judges had them third. Also, New Braunfels was in a very close 11th. Both marching judges had them in the top 6, but the music judges killed them.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another thing to add.. I also like how our music really touched some of you guys. Well obviously not the judge... but again its all good...we perform this show for our audience and our families not the judges...sorta, but that's the way i feel every time we perform...i do it for the people.

Edited by EuphBeast09

Actually, no. Churchill should not have been 5th behind west lake and akins. That is the biggest amount of horse **** I've heard in a long time. Some dick judge decided to give em ninth in music behind reagan? wtf? I dont care if i get kicked off this site or whatever, but I'm really starting to lose any faith i had left in the fairness the judges have. It's not subjective, it's vindictive. Whatever judge that was and whoever I'm replying to can go stuff a plume up there ****

You are entitled to your opinions, though they are nothing new. Although, Churchill STILL made it. State has a brand new panel. And I know there are plenty of people reading this thread right now, and people that post on the site, that could personally tell you how their band got "screwed" by the UIL system. Well, it is what it is, and it has its pros and cons.

And thank goodness for the word filter.

Actually, no. Churchill should not have been 5th behind west lake and akins. That is the biggest amount of horse **** I've heard in a long time. Some dick judge decided to give em ninth in music behind reagan? wtf? I dont care if i get kicked off this site or whatever, but I'm really starting to lose any faith i had left in the fairness the judges have. It's not subjective, it's vindictive. Whatever judge that was and whoever I'm replying to can go stuff a plume up there ****

wow, get over yourself. YOU ADVANCED TO STATE, who cares if you were 5th or 6th or 3rd or whatever. You have a chance to go to state and own the dome and change what has happened to you. I cannot believe that you have the nerve to get on here and say that because of one judge you got 5th, big deal. Because of one judge we got 7th, we arent going to state, we have no more chances, but you dont here any Connally kids getting on here and saying lets go get that guy.

You are entitled to your opinions, though they are nothing new. Although, Churchill STILL made it. State has a brand new panel. And I know there are plenty of people reading this thread right now, and people that post on the site, that could personally tell you how their band got "screwed" by the UIL system. Well, it is what it is, and it has its pros and cons.

Ha...yeah...thats it... :lol:

On top of what everybody else has said. If you throw out your odd 9th place, then you have to throw out Akins' odd 9th place as well which means that you are still behind Akins.

I agree.

I mean, it really is terrible what happens to some bands, but I mean, no matter what system you have in place, it won't be perfect.

That's why as much as some of us don't like to hear it, the amount of success you gain in a season is more how you move the audience, and in turn your selves, rather than if you win a trophy or not.

Everyone needs to chill. Finals in this Area is an extremely prestigious achievement. It is THE toughest in the State, so State or no State, being at the big dance is an accomplishment in and of itself. It's disappointing when we fall short of our goals, but it is, after all, not the end of the world. If the performance was great and you are proud of that, in the end that is what you will remember. In a subjective field such as the arts, I think we need to accept inconsistency as part and parcel of the package.

Also, kudos to New Braunfels on their 11th place finish. They are the only other group I've heard about, and to be out of finals by one ordinal point against the likes of Leander and Reagan is impressive for one of our new 4A-5A bumps. I can't imagine it was easy for them driving home and not performing in finals. Think perspective, guys.

wow, get over yourself. YOU ADVANCED TO STATE, who cares if you were 5th or 6th or 3rd or whatever. You have a chance to go to state and own the dome and change what has happened to you. I cannot believe that you have the nerve to get on here and say that because of one judge you got 5th, big deal. Because of one judge we got 7th, we arent going to state, we have no more chances, but you dont here any Connally kids getting on here and saying lets go get that guy.

Holy crap... wait i still dont know who this one guy is...haha oh well not like i can make a difference..

Edited by EuphBeast09

I think everyone needs to stop criticizing the judging system. What's done is done. The best bands made it through a really tough Area. Dwelling on something that you can't change really doesn't make it better. Area D will be represented well and that is all that matters. You can't place the blame on judges when the activity has always been built on people's opinions. You don't need to act like this is the first time this has ever happened. Take what you got and be happy because everyone really did give it there all and in my opinion every single band at finals deserved to make it on because everyone put in just as much hard as anyone else. Congrats to everyone who made it. You deserve it.

Sorry. I was frustrated. The same thing happened to us at WGI contests during the Spring. Judges. People don't like Churchill (probably because of people like me). And I am sorry for Connally who deserved to make state. Everyone knows you should have, though. When they announced the placement orders, we thought it was a random order. Later we found out it wasn't.

But I don't think we will redeem ourselves at state. I would trade this opportunity with Connally. We don't have a chance with all this biased ****. And don't think my opinion represents churchill as a whole. I'm an individual dick.

Sorry. I was frustrated. The same thing happened to us at WGI contests during the Spring. Judges. People don't like Churchill (probably because of people like me). And I am sorry for Connally who deserved to make state. Everyone knows you should have, though. When they announced the placement orders, we thought it was a random order. Later we found out it wasn't.

But I don't think we will redeem ourselves at state. I would trade this opportunity with Connally. We don't have a chance with all this biased ****. And don't think my opinion represents churchill as a whole. I'm an individual dick.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I don't think bias has anything to do with it. Akins and Westlake both had a great night. Churchill was a little rough. I imagine it's hard to judge these things when you're performing in one of those shows and watch the other two from behind.

I had a great time watching all the incredible bands perform their hearts out yesterday and wish Cedar Park , Bowie, Westlake, Vista Ridge, Churchill, and Akins the very best of luck. Personally, my favorites were Cedar Park, Vista Ridge and Connally :o Yes, I said the "C" word Connally. I thought their performance was definiately one of the best and I'm a quite shocked they did not advance. I know we rely on just a few judges to determine our fate, but that's the way it is and we must accept it and not place blame. It will not change the outcome.

Good luck to all !!

"Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense. This day is all that is good and fair. It is too dear, with its hopes and invitations, to waste a moment on yesterdays."

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a great time watching all the incredible bands perform their hearts out yesterday and wish Cedar Park , Bowie, Westlake, Vista Ridge, Churchill, and Akins the very best of luck. Personally, my favorites were Cedar Park, Vista Ridge and Connally :o Yes, I said the "C" word Connally. I thought their performance was definiately one of the best and I'm a quite shocked they did not advance. I know we rely on just a few judges to determine our fate, but that's the way it is and we must accept it and not place blame. It will not change the outcome.

Good luck to all !!

"Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense. This day is all that is good and fair. It is too dear, with its hopes and invitations, to waste a moment on yesterdays."

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

i like that quote..but yeah...i really only saw the last 3 i think perform at finals..sorry i wasnt really paying attention..but i wish i was..just to know...

and other thing if shows were rated on the difficulty then the bands would have to pretty much rely on the drill writer and the music arranger...person/people..so it would be really difficult in a way to do that.

Great shows last night. I went to finals last night, and it was truly a great battle. I was a little disappointed that my old high school didn't make finals (Westwood), especially since they were 7 8 7 in music. I didn't get a chance to see their show, but I guess their marching must have been pretty darn bad for one of the judges to give them 29th in marching. Ah well, next time.

The bands that were there were, for the most part, fantastic, and though I was as surprised as anyone about the results, all the bands did a great job. Congrats to all who made state!

There is no "bias." Being from a program like Churchill with all that tradition, you may not realize that many many other bands in this state have indeed improved dramatically. There is no longer a reasonable expectation to place a certain way consistently without earning it. Nobody "deserves" to be somewhere in this state, it is all about executing to the best of your ability and doing what you know you should do. I think most bands give it their all and at this point that is all that matters. At the end of the day, it is in the hands of a few individuals to write what they saw and heard to the best of their ability on THAT performance only. There is no bias towards or against anybody. I think it is unfair to criticize judges. Their role in the spirit of the activity is minimal, it is really about art and the experiences gained through performance. Go out there and have fun, be competitive, enjoy what you are doing. That is what truly matters the most!

Thanks for attempting to ruin what I helped build. You need to get out of here and simply quit talking. The fact that you would even suggest that you represent the high school is shameful. You think you have a lot of gripe about? Go take a look at the other programs across the State that had great runs, yet did not advance to State. You should be grateful to be in the position that you're in. You get to go to State. Kids dream of being there and yet, you take it for granted. As a former alum, I can't say how disappointing this is.

I'll be cheering you guys on, as always. Even more so, I'll be rooting for a change in your awful attitude. It makes me sick. Let this be a notice to all kids who think they were shafted or wronged by the system: Do not get on here and complain about it. You make yourself look horrible when you do it. If you think you were wronged, put the emotion into your work and don't **** about it here on this site. Be humble. For the love of all that is Holy, be humble. A lot of people, including myself, buster their asses off to make the program a class organization. Don't ruin it.

hey, I am a color guard member from Bowie, and I just wanted to say that I appreciated the person who reconized the guard, and how far we have come from last year! I am really proud our team this year, and Congrats and good luck to all the finalists and I will see you at state!

P.S. personally i thought Round Rock should have advanced.

GO MR. Markham

Thanks for attempting to ruin what I helped build. You need to get out of here and simply quit talking. The fact that you would even suggest that you represent the high school is shameful. You think you have a lot of gripe about? Go take a look at the other programs across the State that had great runs, yet did not advance to State. You should be grateful to be in the position that you're in. You get to go to State. Kids dream of being there and yet, you take it for granted. As a former alum, I can't say how disappointing this is.

I'll be cheering you guys on, as always. Even more so, I'll be rooting for a change in your awful attitude. It makes me sick. Let this be a notice to all kids who think they were shafted or wronged by the system: Do not get on here and complain about it. You make yourself look horrible when you do it. If you think you were wronged, put the emotion into your work and don't **** about it here on this site. Be humble. For the love of all that is Holy, be humble. A lot of people, including myself, buster their asses off to make the program a class organization. Don't ruin it.

I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm going to leave now. I feel terrible.

I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm going to leave now. I feel terrible.

OUCH!!

I am a band mom also and sat through the prelims from 3:30pm to the very end. I enjoyed watching all of the bands and talking with parents from all of the different schools-very supportive and encouraging of everyone's performance (tho I heard yet another negative comment about the word "hate" in Churchill's performance ). I know that it was upsetting that Churchill got 5th (I know I have heard it plenty here at home) but seriously I thought that the prelim performance was better than the final performance (sorry but that's how I felt and the audience was not very "supportive" of the final performance truthfully as they were of the other bands-just my feeling). Again, we did make the finals and that's what counts. It's going to be a new day and a whole new round of competitors. What's done is done. Everyone has worked so hard to even get to the area contest-band members, parents, directors-EVERYONE!!

Again, I truly enjoyed myself and all of the bands I got to see-some I have seen at least three times just this month and others for the first time (shocked that Regan didn't make it, tho it is smaller now-watch out in the future for Johnson! and actually felt the stands 'move' when Vista Ridge made it, haha).

I really met some great band parents yesterday and hope to see at BOA and the finals at the Alamodome!!!

Good luck and best wishes to you all!!