Area D Marching Contest

I, too, am a band parent. I know how much time, dedication, heart, soul, and sweat went into the Round Rock show. They were AWESOME last night!

When I stop to think how far my freshman has come from simply figuring out which end of the horn to blow into, to marching that drill and music in a little over 3 years, I am AMAZED. We shed our tears last night. But today we're holding our heads up high! I am so proud of those kids.

Good luck to those advancing to state and CONGRATULATIONS to all the bands! Area D is one tough cookie.

2 Tim 4:7

... and now we rest up and prepare for next time...

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little interested to know why everyone here thinks it's OK to "represent" their school on these forums. Did your Director give you the Press Pass?

If I were you, I wouldn't begin *any* post with "We the ______ band family" or "I am a member/parent from ______ band"

I know if I caught my kids doing that, they'd get an ear-full...especially if it were all so negative, like most of you are doing.

I also think it's hysterical that high school students give so much criticism of other groups. If you know so much, why don't you have your own band yet? ;-)

As a CP alum, I would just like to say yall were the best. Now if I step away from that (in finals I only saw the 1st three) I can say thay yall sounded amazing and you had me w/ the first impact statement. You blew me away w/ your volume and quality of sound. Good Job! I wish I could be at the state performance because you will be even better, but alas the price of going to Texas Tech (8-0!) is at least a six hour drive from anywhere.

Conally, I thought yall did sound pretty good. I know this doesn't help you feel better, but I commend you on a job well done.

While I was returning to my car I was walking across the section where bands were sitting and I heard Vista Ridge's choral.

OH MY GOODNESS. It was amazing, and I'm not easily impressed as I always look for some kind of flaw. I was relly supprised by how perfect it sounded. Great job!

To everyone who is advancing to state (espcially Cedar Park, nice draw time by the way) good luck. I look forward to hearing about how Area D dominated at State.

Good Job to everybody that competed.

We performed first.

Band directors said it was our best performance.

Can't talk about the judges sheets, but we ended up getting

19th.

Yeah.

Here's our prelims show.

Eh....compare that Area video with the one from UIL a week earlier. I personally think the one at UIL might be a little better. But both are better than the Westlake video imo.

There were 11 bands at this competition that have never failed to make Area finals in this area for the past 10 years (actually with New Braunfels in the mix it might be 12....though I'm not familiar with their 4A record). 10 of those bands made finals on Saturday, the odd one out happened to be Georgetown, performing first may have denied them the edge that would allow them to keep up with the other 10......but 19th?

It DOES give me more faith that this area doesn't have much politics and actually grades the competition seriously if they were willing to rank an established band so low (not to mention barely putting the Reagan in finals).....but I do wonder what in the world is going through these judges' heads when they're watching these shows. 19th...how depressing :(

Edited by takigan

As a CP alum, I would just like to say yall were the best. Now if I step away from that (in finals I only saw the 1st three)

Not to be rude but your first two statements are contradictory. How can you say someone is the best and then say you only saw the first 3 bands? How is that fair to the 7 other amazing bands that night? According to the judges CP was the best last night. Congrats to them it was most deserved but saying you left right after your former band performed really says something about the kind of fan you are.

Hey Guys,

I'm new here. I just want to congratulate all the Area participants, specially the State finalists. The competition this past Saturday was great! Although all the bands should be recognized, I feel Cedar Park deserves the most recognition. I'm not being biased as I graduated from A Round Rock high school ('04). I think Cedar Park's show was awesome! I usually go to Area competitions to see Reagan but this time I was looking forward to seeing Cedar Park once again (I saw their show at Region). Kudos to you guys!

I took my video camera with the intention of recording the finals but I was only able to record Reagan, Round Rock and Cedar Park, as I ran out of battery. Here's Cedar Park's performance. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoIYKt3sBLc

P.S. I will upload Reagan and Round Rock's performance later today.

Edited by elpendulo07

Not to be rude but your first two statements are contradictory. How can you say someone is the best and then say you only saw the first 3 bands? How is that fair to the 7 other amazing bands that night? According to the judges CP was the best last night. Congrats to them it was most deserved but saying you left right after your former band performed really says something about the kind of fan you are.

Well... yes. It makes sense that a former band member would leave after his band performs. He'd probably want to see his friends and directors.

Full prelims results:

http://www.uilmusicregion18.com/pdfs/2008_..._5A_Prelims.pdf

The two most interesting scores I found were New Braunfels and Westwood's ordinals. There was a curious disparity in the music/marching scoring of both groups. As I recall, NB's marching was very clean while their music was solid enough, whereas Westwood's music was focused, rich, and resonant, and the marching was solid enough. Something to take pride in for both schools as well as a good direction from which to work from.

Full prelims results:

http://www.uilmusicregion18.com/pdfs/2008_..._5A_Prelims.pdf

The two most interesting scores I found were New Braunfels and Westwood's ordinals. There was a curious disparity in the music/marching scoring of both groups. As I recall, NB's marching was very clean while their music was solid enough, whereas Westwood's music was focused, rich, and resonant, and the marching was solid enough. Something to take pride in for both schools as well as a good direction from which to work from.

For Prelims, I am finding myself in very close agreement with Music Judge #3, yet he is the one that was off from everybody else. . . .

i would just like to say to connally that as long as you marched your heart out and left everything on the field you should be proud ... as a member of hendrickson we learned disappointment last year but you just have to get up and show why they should have put you in state .... im really starting that judges just dont like mr.A lol =)jk

I remember this at State finals last year. Ya'll had an awesome show but fell from 2nd to 5th based on one judge putting you in 9th. I and those I were with thought you got a bum deal, but as everyone here is saying the scoring is what it is. You just have to be satisfied that you did your best and the rest is out of your hands. BTW, I saw Hendrickson on Saturday at your competition and ya'll were once again awesome and I'm glad you got top score.

I hated that I had to miss this Area competition though as there were several schools I wanted to see (although I have seen all of the bands that made finals and it must have been a tough decision for the judges Saturday night). Congratulations to all those advancing and good luck. I will be there to cheer Area D on; its a great group of bands!

I would like to say thank you to everyone who's given so much positive feedback and warm congratulations on our performance on saturday, I am very proud to have performed such an amazing show and I am extremely happy to know that alot of other people thought it was amazing as well. It really means alot, and I am very proud to be in the Connally band right now. As a senior, it was a little disheartening to not move on to the next level, but I would like to congratulate everyone who did move on, and I really hope you do well at State! There's going to be some intense performances that day, and I wish I was able to make it out there that day, but sadly I can't. Good luck to everyone, and thankyou thankyou to everyone who's supported us and had so much faith in us the whole way through! :)

I'm a little interested to know why everyone here thinks it's OK to "represent" their school on these forums. Did your Director give you the Press Pass?

If I were you, I wouldn't begin *any* post with "We the ______ band family" or "I am a member/parent from ______ band"

I know if I caught my kids doing that, they'd get an ear-full...especially if it were all so negative, like most of you are doing.

I also think it's hysterical that high school students give so much criticism of other groups. If you know so much, why don't you have your own band yet? ;-)

Everyone that has posted on this thread has been very complimentary towards one another. I see no reason they can't give their opinions on everything from other bands uniforms, music, show, marching etc.....

I believe this whole website is top notch, and well monitored. I appreciate them being here so students, parents, fans etc.. can come and vent their feeling along with others that know the ups and downs that comes with being a MARCHING BAND MEMBER!

It's perfectly alright. First I was just trying to be a little funny. That is the reason I used the word "LIKE" as in I would LIKE to say you were the best BUT... which indicates there is a reason I wasn't saying were the best. Since I graduated from cedar park I want to say they were the best. It's the whole pride in your school thing. That's why I said I only saw the first three bands to clarify that I was just showing my pride in how well my old band did (my brother is still there). And to speak to what kind of fan I am (that's not alright since I was at prelims), I live in Lubbock and I wanted to talk to some friends I left in when I moved up here that I never get to see sinince I live 6 hours away. I saw the other bands and yall did great. I thought I said that, oh well. I'll say it again, Yall (everyone) did a great job.

Everyone that has posted on this thread has been very complimentary towards one another. I see no reason they can't give their opinions on everything from other bands uniforms, music, show, marching etc.....

I believe this whole website is top notch, and well monitored. I appreciate them being here so students, parents, fans etc.. can come and vent their feeling along with others that know the ups and downs that comes with being a MARCHING BAND MEMBER!

yes, I agee, everyone is very complimentary towards one another and it is very refreshing to see/hear this. Is this not a perfect place (and the reason) to give opinions and such on marching band? I am very new to the marching band 'thing' and have learned so much from just reading these posts. Why would anyone need permission from their band director? I think is great everyone has great pride in their band but also everyone seems to show great support in each others efforts because who else would know but another band member the all the joys and sorrows that each go through to refine their performances. As an active band parent, I am just learning a fraction of what these kids go through and am amazed and proud of every one of them. Keep up the great work!!! :lol:

Eh....compare that Area video with the one from UIL a week earlier. I personally think the one at UIL might be a little better. But both are better than the Westlake video imo.

There were 11 bands at this competition that have never failed to make Area finals in this area for the past 10 years (actually with New Braunfels in the mix it might be 12....though I'm not familiar with their 4A record). 10 of those bands made finals on Saturday, the odd one out happened to be Georgetown, performing first may have denied them the edge that would allow them to keep up with the other 10......but 19th?

It DOES give me more faith that this area doesn't have much politics and actually grades the competition seriously if they were willing to rank an established band so low (not to mention barely putting the Reagan in finals).....but I do wonder what in the world is going through these judges' heads when they're watching these shows. 19th...how depressing :(

regarding New Braunfels, they have not missed a finals appearance since the format was established and have only failed to advance to state once since 1998, falling to 5th place from their 4th place prelims finish at 4A Area last year. A very good Dripping Springs leap-frogged NB in finals performance to take the final state spot. All 4A bands advancing from that area were State Finalists.

regarding New Braunfels, they have not missed a finals appearance since the format was established and have only failed to advance to state once since 1998, falling to 5th place from their 4th place prelims finish at 4A Area last year. A very good Dripping Springs leap-frogged NB in finals performance to take the final state spot. All 4A bands advancing from that area were State Finalists.

Dripping Springs, Vista Ridge, Hendrickson, and Connally, right?

As I remember, no other areas had more than two bands make finals, and two areas had no bands make finals. (As I remember,) Dripping placed 8th, Vista 7th (really tied for 6th), Hendrickson 5th and Connally 2nd. What a great showing for Area D!

Two years ago at State, Area D also made a fantastic showing, also. Wasn't it Church, Reagan, Bowie, and Akins into finals? and great performances from CP and Austin, also.

Yea for Area D!!!

I've only been involved with the bands in this Area a few years but long enough to know that there are a lot of really good ones in both 4A and 5A. If there's a band that should have gone on that isn't, then there would have to be a band that IS going on that maybe shouldn't. Looking at the six I don't know who that would be. Unfortunately, not every deserving band can move on; only 6 can this year.

I do know one thing though; there will always be controversy come October! ;)

I really think Connally should of gone to state..i

m not just saying that because im a member

i was really upset with a 9 in music..

:P But its all good we had fun.

Cedar Park did really good though and i hope they,

and all other bands do great!

Thanks for everyone supporting the cougar band!

It doesn't matter whether we advanced or not. What matters to Connally is that we had an amazing performance that touched the crowd. The crowd loved our performance. Thats what matters. We want to thank everyone for the continuous support throughout the season, and best of luck to the finalists that have advanced to State. We will be there to cheer you on!!! :)

Dripping Springs, Vista Ridge, Hendrickson, and Connally, right?

As I remember, no other areas had more than two bands make finals, and two areas had no bands make finals. (As I remember,) Dripping placed 8th, Vista 7th (really tied for 6th), Hendrickson 5th and Connally 2nd. What a great showing for Area D!

Two years ago at State, Area D also made a fantastic showing, also. Wasn't it Church, Reagan, Bowie, and Akins into finals? and great performances from CP and Austin, also.

Yea for Area D!!!

That is correct! the CenTex area is a behemoth in the Texas marching band world, and it was Dripping Springs, Vista Ridge, Hendrickson, and Connally that went on to advance to and place in the 2007 4A State Finals. Having attended Statef Finals, IMHO #5 and #6 in our area (New Braunfels and Hays, respectively) had a show quality high enough to be in State finals with the other two groups as well. I think it says a lot when an incredibly talented program like Georgetown can have a great performance and still rank 19th.

The sooner the videos, the worse the show is. It gives an idea of what the show is, but I would wait to post my bands last performance. It was scarrrryy! We just learned are last bit of drill this last week. Onward to cleaning!!! And visual learning, that is, if we have any to learn. "/

we just learned "are" last bit of drill?? smooth.

... If there's a band that should have gone on that isn't, then there would have to be a band that IS going on that maybe shouldn't. Looking at the six I don't know who that would be. Unfortunately, not every deserving band can move on; only 6 can this year.

I do know one thing though; there will always be controversy come October! ;)

I have to respectfully disagree, or maybe just to clarify.

I don't think anyone is saying that any one of the State competitors from Area D did not deserve their hard-won spots. It was such a close cohort between 3rd-7th place. I'm amazed, pleased and proud of Akins, Bowie, Cedar Park, Church, Vista and Westlake and will cheer them on (heck, I'll cheer EVERY band!) at State. It also happens to be true that I think Connally was right up there on that same level. I think most people just wish there was some perfect system where "every deserving band can move on."

[i'm not trying to bash the UIL folks, either; they must have many competing and contradictory priorities they have to coordinate and I'm certain they do the best possible job in creating the most equitable system for the most schools]