75.80 - Cypress Falls

75.60 - Spring

74.15 - Brazoswood

72.80 - Friendswood

72.55 - Hendrickson

Outstanding Music Performance - L.D. Bell

Outstanding Visual Performance - L.D. Bell

Outstanding General Effect: L.D. Bell

Langham Creek was unable to stay for finals due to a football game. They reported this ahead of time, so were not considered for finals. They will have only a score. Should be able to see where they would have placed when prelim scores are posted. They are only allowed to miss one game per football season. They are going to San Antonio and will miss a game then, so they had to be there tonight.

Langham Creek was unable to stay for finals due to a football game. They reported this ahead of time, so were not considered for finals. They will have only a score. Should be able to see where they would have placed when prelim scores are posted. They are only allowed to miss one game per football season. They are going to San Antonio and will miss a game then, so they had to be there tonight.

Does anybody find this to be a rather disappointing situation? It is as if music, one of the fine arts, is being taken less seriously every year. I can understand a football teams need and appreciation for a marching band to be present at their games, but to be excluded from one of their own contests to prevent being absent from more than one game??? I see this as placing less importance on the arts and more importance on sports, yet Marching band itself is a sport...so what are they getting at? I'm sure Langham Creek accepted these conditions without any problems, but does anyone else feel it is a shame for this to have happened to them? Who knows what may have happened, but at least a chance to make finals is better than none at all. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks of this situation. Congratulations to all competing bands at BOA Houston!

I guess people are still stuck in the past of the idea that marching bands support their football teams (Whhhattt who does that lol)

But I mean, if you look at this way- not all marching bands do it as a Fine Art. There are still some that exist for the pure reason of supporting team spirit. So if thats the case, might as well make it a fair deal across the board for all bands.

Then again- I also speak assuming there is that same rule for all schools...Anybody know the facts?

I think it is a little unfair to pass judgment on Langham Creek. Some schools/school districts are very strict about how many football games a band misses because of contests. This is attributed to a very old school way of thinking by those who are in charge. "If the band plays more at the game, that means our football team will do better."

I'm sure the program wanted to be there for Prelims and Finals but unfortunately, it's out of their hands. Also, their long time director is no longer with the program, which means there may not have been as much pull to get the band out of the football game tonight as there used to be.

I think it is a little unfair to pass judgment on Langham Creek. Some schools/school districts are very strict about how many football games a band misses because of contests. This is attributed to a very old school way of thinking by those who are in charge. "If the band plays more at the game, that means our football team will do better."

I'm sure the program wanted to be there for Prelims and Finals but unfortunately, it's out of their hands. Also, their long time director is no longer with the program, which means there may not have been as much pull to get the band out of the football game tonight as there used to be.

Welll, even if we had stayed, im still doubtful we would have made finals. We had a pretty bad performance, between mic's not working (or being too loud like mine :P), people being hit by the color guard, and a whole slew of other marching/mask removal glitches mostly stemming from being unconfident. We lost the rights to our third movement music about two days ago, so, we had to completley rewrite it and learn it.

haha. You might actually be right about the football thing though, we won our game again cy-falls. (which our football team has NEVER done, lol)

Eh, the directors pull had nothing to do with it. Its district policy. Falls missed this game, so they can't miss another. Doesnt matter who your director is or how big his/her rep. is.

I was at finals... Here are my thoughts on the bands I DID see...

B'Wood - Best DESIGNED show they've ever had (honestly... I know)... Unfortunately, the storm put them WAY behind... They'll be good, and are VERY young this year... This was a rough night for them...

Spring - Executed well, but the show isn't up to the difficulty/design level of others

Friendswood - Them and B'Wood are on the same level of execution at this point. I actually thought they'd pass B'Wood on that alone, but the judges probably saw the difference in design and gave B'Wood the edge on difficulty.

Cy Falls - It was ok... I think a trap set would've sounded a LOT better than the general midi drums... electronics are good (kinda a hip-hop feel) if you know how to make it sound right... if not... They prolly deserved their placing tonight.

Brook - Good show. I dig. Their drums sounded good to me...

Churchill - I see where they're going, but the thing that really stuck in my head was "hey, it's star 93 and SCV 99..." But, that's not always a bad thing............ I like me some Samuel Barber, just, the exact arrangements? Really?

L.D. Bell - This COULD be one of the best band shows I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot... Music for Prague made it for me... (PS: Bell directors, LOUDER!! HAHAHA!) But for reals, EXCELLENT color selections in the guard... That REALLY made things stand out.

Anyways, the hurricane REALLY messed a lot of people up, so it was hit and miss... Give it a few weeks to have a real read. you can tell nobody that missed rehearsal time is comfortable with their shows...

i do not want to take anything away from any of the bands but i think that clear brook and churchill definately had the a better sound that woodlands. I also think that they produced a lot more sound at the big moments. I would have also put Stephen F. Austin in this group. I think that Hendrickson and Friendswood maybe have placed lower for not having the name. I am not saying these bands should have been first, just maybe ranked a little bit higher.

I think that Hendrickson and Friendswood maybe have placed lower for not having the name. I am not saying these bands should have been first, just maybe ranked a little bit higher.

If "the name" had anything to do with it, we wouldn't have had four 4A schools make BOA Regional Finals this year.

B'Wood - Best DESIGNED show they've ever had (honestly... I know)... Unfortunately, the storm put them WAY behind... They'll be good, and are VERY young this year... This was a rough night for them...

Spring - Executed well, but the show isn't up to the difficulty/design level of others

Friendswood - Them and B'Wood are on the same level of execution at this point. I actually thought they'd pass B'Wood on that alone, but the judges probably saw the difference in design and gave B'Wood the edge on difficulty.

Cy Falls - It was ok... I think a trap set would've sounded a LOT better than the general midi drums... electronics are good (kinda a hip-hop feel) if you know how to make it sound right... if not... They prolly deserved their placing tonight.

Churchill - I see where they're going, but the thing that really stuck in my head was "hey, it's star 93 and SCV 99..." But, that's not always a bad thing............ I like me some Samuel Barber, just, the exact arrangements? Really?

L.D. Bell - This COULD be one of the best band shows I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot... Music for Prague made it for me... (PS: Bell directors, LOUDER!! HAHAHA!) But for reals, EXCELLENT color selections in the guard... That REALLY made things stand out.

Anyways, the hurricane REALLY messed a lot of people up, so it was hit and miss... Give it a few weeks to have a real read. you can tell nobody that missed rehearsal time is comfortable with their shows...

Umm yeah our show at Spring might not have the flare or shock like other bands shows like B'Wood or Churchill but we make up with wut our band is known for and that is playing music and executing our drill with excellence. I mean just think back to RBW 2006, we dominated area when we had bands with us like B'Wood and the Woodlands. We are spring and stick to tradition which is Marching excellence and musicianship.

i thought our finals performance was just great!

i saw L.D. Bell and they were awesome! when i heard Prague it was like whoa!

our symphonic band performed that at the Music For All Concert Band Festival at Indianapolis.

The Woodlands has an awesome show it think it was better than Sequenza, their performance was amazing!

i didnt get to see Winston Churchill though, i really wanted to.

Umm yeah our show at Spring might not have the flare or shock like other bands shows like B'Wood or Churchill but we make up with wut our band is known for and that is playing music and executing our drill with excellence. I mean just think back to RBW 2006, we dominated area when we had bands with us like B'Wood and the Woodlands. We are spring and stick to tradition which is Marching excellence and musicianship.

No need to get defensive... Just tellin' it like it is... I promise I'm no n00b.

What's wrong with doing the same arrangements?

SCV '99 is one of my top 3 DCI shows. I would be mighty impressed to hear a high school marching band play the same arrangement with at least somewhat good comprehension.

As long as the show wasn't the exact same, there isn't much wrong with it.

I mean, there are only so many ways to arrange a piece of music.

What's wrong with doing the same arrangements?

SCV '99 is one of my top 3 DCI shows. I would be mighty impressed to hear a high school marching band play the same arrangement with at least somewhat good comprehension.

As long as the show wasn't the exact same, there isn't much wrong with it.

I mean, there are only so many ways to arrange a piece of music.

There's nothing "wrong" with it... Just makes the arranger/designer look lazy.