learn a brass insturment for core

mnkyman

so yeah as a woodwind..i cant march core unless i do a brass instrument..

and from what ive heard its not hard to learn a euphonium...is that true?..

and is all the euphonium music in bass clef ..or reble and bass?...i read treble..i can read bass..but just not as good as treble

All good euphonium music is written in Bass. If you are going to play euphonium, you should definitly become fluent with Bass Clef. Give it 2 months... thats how long it took me.

Baritone/Euph (there is a difference, described below) is the easiest to learn because the embochure is relaxed. Given that a tuba's embochure is even more relaxed than a euph, it requires a lot more air and can be especially hard for a beginner to pick up.

Now the infamous question: What is the difference between a baritone and euphonium. Well, the answer is not that one is bigger or that one has 4 valves. The answer is in the size of the tubing. A euphonium's tubing is described as conical. The size of the pipe is continually increasing as the tubing moves through the valves. A baritone's pipes are always the same diameter (until it starts getting bigger for the bell portion).

For my school, the marching baritones use a small shank (smaller pipe size) and thus require less air. (Thats not saying large bore horns don't exist). Almost all marching euphoniums use a large shank mouthpiece. All (good) corps march a euphonium because the sound is better, and its nearly impossible to make an edgy on them.

Just a note: The ONLY a baritone (not euphonium) part would be written in Treble clef is usually in military marches or any piece that requires a Bb Baritone part. (Euphoniums and Baritones are normally in Concert C pitch, not Bb, so its written in treble clef). For example, the Grainger piece Lincolnshire Posy has a Bb Baritone part in treble.

and finally, there is no such thing as a drum core or corp. Its always CORPS, plural or singular.

Baritone/Euph (there is a difference, described below) is the easiest to learn because the embochure is relaxed. Given that a tuba's embochure is even more relaxed than a euph, it requires a lot more air and can be especially hard for a beginner to pick up.

Hey... the trombone embochure is exactly the same as the euph embochure!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The baritone/euphonium sound is usually much more mellow than a trombone, though they can use the same mouthpiece. There are baritones and euphoniums that use both small and large bore mouthpieces, and it's generally agreed that the large bore mouthpieces make better sounds, mainly because they can open up the sound more, regardless of the player. What you DON'T, I emphasize the DON'T, want to do, is play on both at the same time.

I'm using both currently, and though my baritone (small bore) doesn't sound too bad, my euphonium (aka concert horn, large bore) sound is about 50 cents flat on my middle Bb. I could tune to that note, but then i'd be 50 cents sharp on my F. Since we usually play a bunch of F's in band, I'm trying to work on adjusting my emboushure (sp?) for the tuning to the Bb. The two mouthpiece sizes are what's getting at me (I used to use small bore euphonium, but got switched), but I should be able to adjust by the time region comes up. Still, I don't recommend using both at the same time.

As far as learning the euphonium goes, it shouldn't be too hard, so long as you buzz a lot to get used to the emboushure (sp?), and get used to the 3-valve fingerings. It's a good switch for trumpets who lack range; I can testify. ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
so yeah as a woodwind..i cant march core unless i do a brass instrument..

and from what ive heard its not hard to learn a euphonium...is that true?..

and is all the euphonium music in bass clef ..or reble and bass?...i read treble..i can read bass..but just not as good as treble

Hey! mnkyman

You can also learn mallet instruments too.

:)B)