learn a brass insturment for core

mnkyman

• 2 months later...
Q: How does a soprano change a lightbulb?

A: They hold up the lightbulb and the world revolves around them...

I like this version:

How many trumpets/sopranos does it take to screw in a light bulb?

6; 1 to do the job, and five to stand on the side and talk about how much better they could do it.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
baritones/euphs are written in treble clef as well as bass, but i dont know what drum corps uses.

DCI Corps generally use large shank, 3 valve marching baritones that weigh about 12-18 lbs each

try holding that up all day

it's not that easy

better yet

find one

and hold it up 15 minutes straight

no playing

just stand there

and then you will have a true understanding

DCI Corps generally use large shank, 3 valve marching baritones that weigh about 12-18 lbs each

try holding that up all day

it's not that easy

better yet

find one

and hold it up 15 minutes straight

no playing

just stand there

and then you will have a true understanding

they also usually march actual marching euphoniums as well as baritones, which is like holding a small car out in front of you. hehehe.

• 4 weeks later...
they also usually march actual marching euphoniums as well as baritones, which is like holding a small car out in front of you. hehehe.

I march Euph @ Hendrickson... Small Car is almost an Understatement :lol: ... I march a Dynasty Euph, and it doesn't like small cross through moves. (Plus, it has its own gravitational pull LOL!)

BBUUUTTT...

The one thing that i've seen with SOME Woodwind players switching over... The urge to keep their teeth together (Like they're still on a reed)

Open ur teeth and i'll be happy ^_^

• 2 months later...

Actually, the marching Euphonium emits a more pure/mellow sound.

It's easier to be melodic on a Euphonium. It's almost as if you took a concert Euphonium and put it on your shoulder.

Well, it really depends on which woodwind instrument you switch from.

Flutes usually have an easier time with french horn and mello, while saxes have an easier time with lower brass instruments.

Well, the corps I'm at marches Bari and Euph. And uh, the bari parts aren't easy....

So if a Dynasty Euph is a car , then I guess the Contra is the equivalent of holding a NASA Space Shuttle.

Did anyone on here actually go try to learn a brass instrument... or anything for that matter?

Im going to bet not. and if someone did, they didnt tryout.

• 2 months later...
Actually, the marching Euphonium emits a more pure/mellow sound.

It's easier to be melodic on a Euphonium. It's almost as if you took a concert Euphonium and put it on your shoulder.

Well, it really depends on which woodwind instrument you switch from.

Flutes usually have an easier time with french horn and mello, while saxes have an easier time with lower brass instruments.

corps never use shoulder euphoniums. real marching euphs are actually held like a marching baritone, except they have different tubing and are noticably bigger. look at the phantom regiment low brass, or any drum corps for that matter

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
So exactly how hard would it be to go from flute to mello/trumpet? Like, could you even make a corp??

lets put it this way... ive played trumpet for 5 years now and i missed a spot in the last cut.

if you HAVE to chose from mello/trumpet id still pick barri but mello tends to be eiser to make (at least thats where the trumpets go when their desparit for a spot)

but all this still depends on what corps you wanna make.... a top six corps prob wont take a high brass player who hasnt played it a solid 4+ (min.) years but you could get lucky with crossmen (they seemed to have some trouble getting trumpets this year)

• 5 months later...
At Hendrickson we march baritones instead of Trombones, and our freshmen learn how to play baritones within the first 2 weeks of band camp pretty quickly, just harder for them to read dance team tunes and stuff, so we have about 22? 23? member baritone section for marching season. Its fun.

I listened to Hendrickson play at Pearland last year and I have to admit you guys were the strongest brass line I heard the whole day. Props to you :)