• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first time in our bands history we've been on a 8-8 schedule. As a senior its a huge shock to us. Especially considering in our old system (2 years ago and with a different director) we would go 8-12, for the most part student led, and had breaks that sometimes went 30 minutes or more. However, most of the people in our band don't mind the new schedule, which is a huge surprise to me. I think our new director worked us hard enough last year to drive the unmotivated people away, but not shock us to the point most of us quit.

For as long as I've been here, I think this is the best freshman class to come through Marshall. I'm the Clarinet section leader, and about half of them are freshman. But today they played a 16th note run, at 164 BPM, almost to perfection...on day 3! It was cleaner than most of the runs we did after month 3. My jaw almost hit the floor when they nailed that run.

As for technique, that's all we've been doing right now. We have two former Phantom Regiment staff members working with us on the field, so they're not going to teach drill until they go over everything. I think they may start teaching drill tomorrow night, maybe late in the morning section.

I feel very, VERY, good about this year. I cant wait for our first BOA competition in many years.

Oh and we did an elimination thing at the end of camp today, where if you mess up you were eliminated. I got 3rd =)

This is the first time in our bands history we've been on a 8-8 schedule. As a senior its a huge shock to us. Especially considering in our old system (2 years ago and with a different director) we would go 8-12, for the most part student led, and had breaks that sometimes went 30 minutes or more. However, most of the people in our band don't mind the new schedule, which is a huge surprise to me. I think our new director worked us hard enough last year to drive the unmotivated people away, but not shock us to the point most of us quit.

For as long as I've been here, I think this is the best freshman class to come through Marshall. I'm the Clarinet section leader, and about half of them are freshman. But today they played a 16th note run, at 164 BPM, almost to perfection...on day 3! It was cleaner than most of the runs we did after month 3. My jaw almost hit the floor when they nailed that run.

As for technique, that's all we've been doing right now. We have two former Phantom Regiment staff members working with us on the field, so they're not going to teach drill until they go over everything. I think they may start teaching drill tomorrow night, maybe late in the morning section.

I feel very, VERY, good about this year. I cant wait for our first BOA competition in many years.

Oh and we did an elimination thing at the end of camp today, where if you mess up you were eliminated. I got 3rd =)

I'm glad Hildreth's style is working for you all so far. Best of luck this season!

yeah we really did well today, the weather really helps all of us(gives us an extra gear), so far we have finished 65 sets and 2 1/2 minutes, tomm. we're going to lay the ballad(swan lake) out. It's been tough, but we've done well, and we should have the show ready by our first game

dang.

we're working strictly on marching and marching/playing just warmups outside this week.

perfecting the show in inside rehersals

and won't learn any sets until next week

8-8

Music-wise (the only part I know about, being in pit), the winds got the first two movements on Monday, and the second (the one I was able to sneak into wind rehearsal to hear) sounds pretty good (though sans solo for right now).

Pit's surprisingly small for where we usually are (the past couple of years we've had fifteen or sixteen kids in pit total; this year we have nine), but sounding pretty good. Percussion only has the first movement right now (percussion writer churning it out as fast as he can), but we're cleaning it well and speeding it up.

Lots of 16th-note runs at 168 and 176 = happily worn-out me :) = not-as-happily worn-out everyone else =/

we don't start drill till next week.

We have all of our music though.

I need to work on memorizing the second movement....

it's one of the hardest pieces I've had to memorize.

yeah same here.

all fundamentals this week :[

oh well

need to be perfect!

learn drill next week in the evening rehersals

cant wait!

We are doing extremely well, this is probably the fastest we have ever learned drill, we have the first 22 sets finished, and by tomorrow we will finish the first movement, and rep the opener a few times, and by next friday we hope to have the second movement finished! I cannot believe how well we are doing this year, I get gossebumbs everytime I am conducting the first hit, the brass is right in front of me and they just blow me away.

we had the woodwinds listen to the brass play the first impact today and it scared the living crap out of them. its not even LOUD yet! i mean, its loud, but its not LOUD =)

we've learned the first thirteen pages of the opener, but only marching and no music. i think music goes on next week. i'm extremely excited.

We had our first full band rehersal today

with drumline pitt woodwinds and brass.

man, im pretty amazed.

I mean of course there is tons of work to be done, but still the music blew me away.

i'm lovin it :D

as for our marching it is going good.

strictly fundamentals 8-1130 all week.

starting to look good!

we have varsity marching band audtions tomorrow morning, he said 15% of our 155 won't make it.

I hope my fish do!!!

Easy now, friends. She was just giving an opinion. That's her first impression of the program and she did a great job of answering the question raised by the original poster. She wasn't putting down anyone else's program and I am so grateful for that. Personally, I have no problem with death by sound, as long as the fundamentals of Music are kept in tact.

I've baked cookies to smooth things over =)

thank you.

and thats all i gotta say.

The entire ensemble (pit, battery, winds) played together for the first time this afternoon, doing the first movement.

The quality of it scared the crap out of me. I mean, the winds took their first look at the first movement Monday afternoon (percussion got revised music Monday afternoon, as well), and we're already playing it full-ensemble at an average (we have four different tempos in the opener) of five bpm under tempo.

And the winds have the music for second movement already (playing as a group alone; our percussion guy hasn't finished writing the last two movements), and third movement's going out Monday afternoon.

I'm actually moderately scared at how well we're learning this stuff.