Dallas Mavericks

ftwdrummer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a die hard Rockets fan and this Mavericks trade kind of makes me happy. They gave up way too much. However, Jerry Stackhouse's contract is most likely going to be bought out by New Jersey. Which means, he'll become a free agent but must wait a month before resigning again with the Mavericks.

I didn't think the point guard position was a weakness for the Mavericks anyways. Trading a young talented point guard in Devin Harris (along with all of those draft picks) for an old veteran? Jason Kidd is a good player. No doubt. He's a great passer, has experience, and should be a great leader for team with his presence. However, he is a horrible shooter for a point guard. If you're looking for automatic points, he's not one of those guys that's going to rack up 15 points in a row. Kidd is only shooting 35% from the field. And, who's going to defend all the big men in the West like Yao, Duncan, Shaq, Bynum, and Chandler? With Diop gone, there's no inside presence in the paint for the Mavs besides Dampier. And we all know he can't play the entire 48 minutes.

This is the same Dallas team that won 67 games in the regular season last year. I still think they're all hung up on what happened in the playoffs. The Mavs are in a desperate win now mode. But, what's going to happen 3-4 years from now when Kidd is close to retirement? Where's Devin when you need him?

The Western Conference is going to be FANTASTIC one to watch though. First and ninth place are only separated by five games which is unheard of.

As of right now the West looks like this:

1. *36-15 - Phoenix

2. *35-15 - New Orleans

3. 34-17 - Dallas

4. *33-19 - Utah

5. 34-17 - L.A. Lakers

6. 33-17 - San Antonio

7. 32-19 - Denver

8. 31-20 - Golden State

8. 31-20 - Houston

* - Division leaders

the mavs ARE giving up a lot but sources say that stackhouse will be waived purposefully when traded to the nets which will open it back up for the mavs to get him back if you peeps actually watch espn news you would know wat is going on as of today... BUT i will agree that giving up Devin Harris is a HORRIBLE move your not suppose to give up such talent for an older dude granted that kidd would actually give the maver a legit shot at the title and would get kidd out of NJ like he wants to but im sure Cuban will come up with a new deal involving a 3rd team to keep his players where they are and try to get a steal like the Lakers did with the Gasol and btw Memphis is officially the DUMBEST franchise is NBA history

Quite frankly, the '83 Rockets were dumber for not taking the instantly-expanded fan base they would have gotten if they'd drafted Glide instead of Sampson.

I mean, if you KNEW Olajuwon (who was also at U of H at the time) was coming out the next year, and you KNEW the fan base of Phi Slamma Jamma would instantly boost ticket sales a few grand a year if you drafted them both, why not take both of them, instead of trading for him twelve years later?

The trade is official........finally.

Dallas Mavericks get:

G Jason Kidd

G Antoine Wright

F Malik Allen

New Jersey Nets get:

G Devin Harris

C Desagana Diop

F Maurice Ager

F Keith Van Horn (Currently Semi-Retired)

F Trenton Hassell

Dallas' 2008 and 2010 First Round Picks

$3 Million (323,031,389.74 Yen)

Hey, who knows? Maybe Avery brought Kidd in to buy him some time to develop JJ Barea, as well as win now.

JJ Barea???

No offense...but I don't see anything in the Puerto Rican point guard...

This one of the saddest days in Mavericks history, literally... :P:( :( :(

...we...are screwed.

Edited by sax5warrior

looking at the 1997 NBA draft on Wikipedia, is it just me, or was that a really weak class?

We have:

-Tracy McGrady

-Keith Van Horn

-Tim Duncan

-Chauncey Billups

....and then a whole lot of people that amounted to mediocrity in the NBA.

That's pretty much how every draft is. A few great players and then everyone else.

Even though that particular draft had a lot of mediocre players, it wasn't that weak. Chauncey Billups and Tim Duncan have a combined five NBA Titles and four Finals MVPs.

looking at the 1997 NBA draft on Wikipedia, is it just me, or was that a really weak class?

We have:

-Tracy McGrady

-Keith Van Horn

-Tim Duncan

-Chauncey Billups

....and then a whole lot of people that amounted to mediocrity in the NBA.

Quite frankly, that's the rule, rather than the exception. Only very rarely (1984, 2003) are drafts much deeper. I mean, Kwame Brown was once a #1 overall pick!

By far the two most talented drafts since the NBA/ABA merger were '84 and '03. '84 had Olajuwon, Jordan, Sam Perkins, and either Malone or Stockton (I don't remember which). '03 had Lebron, Carmelo, Wade, and one Josh Howard at the end of the first round.

Again, though, exception rather than the rule.

1996's is pretty solid too.

-Allen Iverson

-Marcus Camby

-Kobe Bryant

-Ben Wallace (went undrafted...wonder why... ^_^ )

-Steve Nash

-Pedra Stojkaovic

-Antoine Walker

-Ray Allen

-Stephon Marbury

It pains me to go back on these draft results and see how many terrible picks my Bulls have made over the years.

Honestly this trade doesn't look that bad to me. Kidd is way better now than Devin Harris ever will be, and none of those other guys where that great either. The only thing that worries me is our depth at center now without Diop.

Agreed...especially now that the dog-butted b-ballers down I-35 have dealt for Kurt Thomas.

• 3 weeks later...

lets look at the trade in review

Jason Kidd is ballin out there and the teams average have gone up but it hasnt nesscaryily helped them in the win column they have lost all of the "test games" if thats wat u want to call them Sprus they should have won lost to the Jazz and Lakers.

Even though i am a big fan of this trade that happened it seems that the loss of Diop is hurting depth hopfully magloire will get healty REALLY GOOD

My personal feeling is, we're basically locked into the #7 spot...maybe #6 at best...for the simple reason that Denver's too fragile for its own good.

Even if we don't make it out of the first round again, take a look at the playoffs from a sheer fandom standpoint:

LA w/Kobe playing out of his mind against the most entertaining team in the league (Golden State);

Santonio/Dallas XXVVVIII (or whatever it is now)

Houston/Phoenix (not as entertaining w/Shaq, but w/potential in terms of McGrady having not won a series before),

Utah (home court in the best arena in the league) vs. the top NBA point guard right now (CP3 is...end of story) and the surprise story of the year Hornets.

Who doesn't want to watch that?