next year(state for 5a)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one think next year will be interesting because L.D is ending their trilogy, Marcus has used most elements, and competition is getting crazy.

At my school, we are losing only a handful of seniors and gaining a ton of freshman so I'm hoping we'll do alot better than at BOA SA. Plus State years always have better results with us.

I for one think next year will be interesting because L.D is ending their trilogy, Marcus has used most elements, and competition is getting crazy.

At my school, we are losing only a handful of seniors and gaining a ton of freshman so I'm hoping we'll do alot better than at BOA SA. Plus State years always have better results with us.

What school do you go to?

Ya, we though he must be sick at first, until the head of the music department started comming to school, and people saw the principle searching his office.

We're told he's out for "personal issues" and they're CRAZY rumors flying around (which are just ridiculous and not even worth naming), but noone knows what it is for sure. Not even his son, our DM, will say.

But we don't get to have a sub, so its basically one director doing all four bands right now.

Its so crazy.

Any updates on your director?

Any updates on your director?

We think he's fired.

He still hasnt come back to work, and noone is telling us ANYTHING. They wont say he's never comming back, but they arnt saying he is either.

Apparently its a big deal, because all the teachers know why he's gone, but theyre careful not to let anything slip to us.

If he doesnt come back, we are totally ruined.

He was the one who built our program up from this "party" band that got 2's and 3's at UIL, to one of the most successful programs in the State.

Without him, we can never be anything remotley close to what we were.

Its really....depressing.

We think he's fired.

He still hasnt come back to work, and noone is telling us ANYTHING. They wont say he's never comming back, but they arnt saying he is either.

Apparently its a big deal, because all the teachers know why he's gone, but theyre careful not to let anything slip to us.

If he doesnt come back, we are totally ruined.

He was the one who built our program up from this "party" band that got 2's and 3's at UIL, to one of the most successful programs in the State.

Without him, we can never be anything remotley close to what we were.

Its really....depressing.

You guys are the 2007 5A Honor Band right?

[quote name='takigan' post='57402' date='Nov 23 2007, 09:32 PM']I don't think Area D is any harder than it used to be. I mean yeah, Reagan and Churchill are in the mix now but at least the Area D bands don't have to compete with Spring or the Woodlands anymore. It was an even trade-off for those 2 schools I think.

And Area D IS the most stacked area with B a close 2nd. 4 of the 5 Area D bands that competed made the finals at State last year (the one that didn't make it was Cedar Park; ...the Area D champions). B has a small handful of "juggernaut" schools and a large pool of "solid" schools. While Area D may not have any "juggernaut" schools (ex. L.D. Bell, Marcus, Duncanville) you could drag the ranking list down into the teens and you'd still be dealing with bands that could hold their own at the State contest.

As for who's going, it'll be the same story with 90% of the schools, just with a different ranking. The exciting part is always the upsets...underdogs who beat bands with a good reputation and bands that don't always get recognized finally getting the recognition they deserve (like Colleyville making finals at BOA for just 1 example). And of course, the incredible programs that slip up from time to time and don't do as good as you expect (Reagan not making National finals, Langham and Cy-Falls not making Super-Regional Finals, Cedar Park not making State finals)....it's saddening but it's exciting in that it's something you don't expect. Then you have the new schools, and the anticipation for how good they'll do against the establishment.

But otherwise, it's mostly the same story year after year.....

Nationals is always exciting too, because not the same bands go every year and it's interesting to see how those schools will do against the rest of the nation.[/quote]

Reagan were the champions of area D last year, they have gotten better as a uil band competitor. Edited by lalalaband

so i heard LD bell isnt going to GN next year...

thatll be interesting

I wouldn't be surprised if we see less than three Texas bands at Grand Nationals next year.

Stephen F. Austin, Richland & Ronald Reagan just went this year and I highly doubt they'll be going next year. Stephen F. Austin and Richland have never gone to Grand Nationals in consecutive years and Ronald Reagan is splitting with Lady Bird Johnson HS next year.

The Woodlands have gone the past two years (2006 & 2007).

L.D. Bell with three years (2005, 2006 & 2007). Although, I hope The Woodlands and L.D. Bell keep the streak alive and keep on going.

Winston Churchill went in 2006. The last time they went to GN prior to 2006 was in 2002.

Haltom & Westfield are due for a trip to Grand Nationals. The last time that those two bands went were in 2002 and 2003, respectively. I hope James Bowie, John B. Connally, and Cypress Falls goes again. And, I would love to see some new Texas faces in Indianapolis---Brazoswood, Cedar Park, Harlingen, Hebron, and Marcus.

so i heard LD bell isnt going to GN next year...

thatll be interesting

Definitely not surprised. They've gone three years in a row now. The only reason I would see them going is to try and defend their title but it's been a while since a band has successfully done that.