14 bands will be taken into Finals.

From the BOA Rules Handbook:

45+ Super Regional participants = 14 Finalist bands

Less than 45 = 12 Finalist bands

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To bad I have school on the first day. I would consider skipping, but its a sure bet at least one of my band directors will be there. I guess thats the only downside for two day competitions. Guess my band will just have to make it next year to spectate the first day =)

Making it on Saturday for sure though.

I don't quite know why, but this contest does not seem as "stacked" as it traditionally does...

Is it just me, or am I really going crazy? The usual finalists are there, but it just doesn't seem to have the depth it usually has, you know?

I can see your point. However, this regional is deceptively stacked.

I think what you're noticing is the amount of quality programs that could fall right around the 4th - 10th place spots. These programs will end up kicking the crap out of each other and when the dust settles for Finals, we will realize that we have the best Regional Finalist lineup in the Nation.

im pretty confident in my band... we've sone really well this year. :rolleyes:

(you might know us as the band who knocked hebron out of finals at boa arlington...)

You guys did very well. I liked your show alot. However, I don't think it's right to say that you knocked Hebron out of finals, and by right I mean appropriate. Hebron didn't do as satisfactory as they usually have (not to mention the REALLY LONG pause), but you shouldn't bash Hebron or any band for that matter, even if they didn't do as well. All bands work really hard in their shows and telling them that you "knocked them out" for a chance of a finals performance is like telling another band that they aren't that great and to not strive to achieve better. This is a place to discuss goals and predictions so forth so on. The things you post about you're school and others are a representation of how your band acts, and I hope you're band isn't all about the placements. Marching band is SO much more than that. I hope one day you can realize that.

Haha this thread is filled with so much "OMG MY BAND IS TEH R0X0RZ!1!! we pwn u!1!1 Seriously, stop the self hype. It makes you look pretty stupid, especially if you've been on this forum for a whole week.

Back to the topic, this San Antonio should be a great one. Lots and lots of depth this year. I'll be there Saturday morning for prelims and stay until finals.

Anybody have a spare room they wanna let me and my sister stay at? I'd really rather not spend money on a hotel room...

Back to the topic, this San Antonio should be a great one. Lots and lots of depth this year. I'll be there Saturday morning for prelims and stay until finals.

Anybody have a spare room they wanna let me and my sister stay at? I'd really rather not spend money on a hotel room...

If you need help looking for a hotel room, let me know. I travel every two weeks so I think I can get you a deal somewhere.

Georgetown is going to dominate. This years show, Rome, is amazing. Even though we've changed it a few times, the freshman have kept up and are doing really well.

I'm extremely curious as to how well Georgetown is going to do. The poster above me posted Georgetown as an "Unknown"...understandable....but under the right circumstances, I do believe they have the possibility to make finals, or at least come really close. Politics is what's going to hold them back, as well as the nature of the BOA judging system.....why do I say that? In 2006 at Area D, 2 judges ranked Gtown 2nd overall in the competition....one judge had Gtown ahead of Cedar Park and Churchill, while the other had them ahead of Ronald Reagan and Churchill (3rd at UIL State)...finals screwed them over and they got 8th overall--how that happened is irrelevant (a similar outcome happened to CP at State).....this year Georgetown placed higher than Cedar Park at Westlake and placed only a tenth of a point behind Bowie--a BOA Grand National finalist....Georgetown's last appearance (and first) at BOA was in 2005 where they got slaughtered at Houston and barely got a first division at San Antonio....they were new to the activity, so they didn't have the political support or the feel for the competition (no one in the band had ever marched in a full-size dome for starters), not to mention they lacked GE elements (26th in music GE and 36th in Visual GE at SA 2k5).

The thing with Georgetown is that they've always been a very strong musical band (with 5A Area and State Honor Band finals records under their belt) but like a lot of central texas bands, they basically just march to your typical store-bought show with easy in-house drill with very little creative visual elements which really hurts them in the GE department.....but starting with last year their show started to take on a whole different feel.....they're learning how to utilize GE in a different way than most name-brand bands....they're pulling a very Reaganish kind of approach (or maybe more like Marcus but on a less grand scale).....they're winning the crowd with colorful and intense percussion combined with very strong impact moments in the visual......stuff like suspending a chord in the winds as a sole guard member's sabre flies through the air, and as she catches it, instantly dropping the chord and doing something simple and petite like striking a triangle that stifles an entertained giggle and a hearty applause....basically the techniques the bands of old used to do to win GE before electronics and props became big. Less 'flashy' and more 'classy' I guess you might say.

Consistent execution on the part of the band and the right panel of open-minded judges that aren't too caught up in all the amazing bands that have established reputations in the organization;...if these 2 factors line up, Georgetown has the potential to make finals.

I could go on...but I'm sure I've said enough for now.