Area Predictions?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on Area D...

Wow, what a mess. As if the region wasn't competitive enough 2 years ago, they have to add a top region from another area to the mix. Gotta love the realignment.

The way I see it, this'll be a showdown between the powerhouses of region 12 (the Austin area) and region 18 (the New Braunfels area), with a few bands from other regions sprinkled in there.

You've got the schools rich in tradition, who have been in the situation many times before like Conally and New Braunfels. Then you got the up and coming schools, like Hendrickson and Steele, both turning heads where ever they go. Both are brand new schools and yet they are already making a lot of commotion. Then you've got Dripping Springs and Canyon, both very clean and both just missing state 2 years ago.

How this will all settle out in the end, I have no idea. For the most part, these regions have stayed away from each other as far as competitions go. The only common competition was at the USSBA centex regional at Bob Shelton Stadium (the location of this area), where all three New Bruanfels schools outscored Conally by at least 2 points. The only reason I don't find this results to be too accurate is the fact that William H Taft and McCallum recieved scores only slightly lower than those of the New Bruanels trio, while Dripping Springs outscored these bands the week before by more than 6 points...? Maybe I'm looking a little to in depth to this...Here are 2 competitions that I think display how these bands have done so far this year...

USSBA Centex Regional, Bob Shelton Stadium (Kyle, TX)

Group VI Open

1. New Braunfels H.S. (88.00) (High guard, percussion, visual, and music)

2. New Braunfels: Canyon H.S. (87.25) (High effect)

Group V Open

1. Cibolo Steel H.S. (89.5) (High guard, visual, music, effect)

2. San Antonio: William H. Taft H.S. (87.1) (high percussion)

3. San Antonio: Tom C. Clark H.S. (86.75)

4. Copperas Cove H.S. (85.85)

5. Pflugerville: John B. Connally H.S. (85.75)

6. Austin: LBJ H.S. (82.25)

Group IV Open

1. Austin: McCallum H.S. (85.1) (High guard, percussion, visual, music, effect)

2. San Marcos H.S. (83.0)

3. San Antonio: Alamo Heights H.S. (81.25)

4. San Antonio: John Marshall H.S. (80.95)

5. Waco: Midway H.S. (80.45)

Capital City Marching Festival

AAAA

High Music: Round Rock (288/300)

High Percussion: Hendrickson (210/250)

High Visual: Round Rock (242/300)

High Guard: Canyon (126/150)

1. Round Rock (854/1000)

2. McNeil (848.5)

3. Hendrickson (845)

4. Westwood (840)

5. Smithson Valley (829)

6. Canyon (826)

7. Austin (767)

AAA

High Music: Akins (290/300)

High Percussion: Georgetown (211/250)

High Visual: Dripping Springs (249/300)

High Guard: Dripping Springs (137/150)

1. Akins (872/1000)

2. Dripping Springs (868.5)

3. Anderson (848)

4. Georgetown (842.5)

5. Vista Ridge (834)

6. Lake Travis (828)

7. William Taft (804)

8. McCallum (790)

9. Lehman (766)

10. Lockhart (729)

11. San Marcos (650)

just some food for thought there...I of course do not believe that just comparing results from different competitions will show how this area will turn out, but I think it points out a few things, what do you think?

But as for my predictions -

Finals -

Connally

Dripping Springs

Hendrickson

Lake Travis

McCallum

New Braunfels

New Braunfels Canyon

Schertz: Steele

Vista Ridge

and a 10th band up for grabs

Advancing...whoever turns it on for the finals performance, could be anyone. Not ever gonna try to guess :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and Michael, if we make it to state, remember, I said and Pedro, you, and I will room together and drag some poor sap to be with us. It'd rock if we did! B)

OF COURSE!

you could never split the Mexicans up.

Like I said, I'll see if Conner wants to join us as well.

But let's not get to far ahead of ourselves quite yet. Saturday is still 2 days away.

Just got back from a football game. We decided that this football game would be the last time we marched our show. We laid it out on the field and did pretty amazing. A nice way to finish off the show.

Anyway, to those of you who have area competitions tomorrow, good luck. To those of you in Area B, more good luck. Also, Centennial High School, I really hope you all do amazing. You all are the most similar band to ours and, honestly, since we can't make it to State, I really want you all to do it. Good luck.

Just got back from a football game. We decided that this football game would be the last time we marched our show. We laid it out on the field and did pretty amazing. A nice way to finish off the show.

Anyway, to those of you who have area competitions tomorrow, good luck. To those of you in Area B, more good luck. Also, Centennial High School, I really hope you all do amazing. You all are the most similar band to ours and, honestly, since we can't make it to State, I really want you all to do it. Good luck.

Wow, that post really meant a lot. Both your performance from last night, and what you said about our band.

We'll try our hardest not to let you down!

Plain and simple, Steele got shafted. They had the performance of their lives, played and marched well, and got one wild vote from a judge that put them out of finals. 7, 9, 10, 12 and 19. the 19 killed them, put them in 11th place overall, while ten were taken to finals. Such a heartbreaker for the band, to go far beyond anyone's expectations all year, most people had never even heard of them, simply to get shut down by one wayward score at area competition.