I actually lived in McAllen for a few years. About 10-15 minutes from Donna I believe. I would have gone to McAllen High, im sure you run into them every once in awhile.

Of course that was before middle school. I doubt anyone is into techno when there in elementary.

Thats cool, our football team actually played McHi about two weeks ago. They were fun to hang out with. :lol:

Are you allowed to use synthesizers at UIL contests? Because I don't think you can, and we had ours this past Tuesday and I'm wondering how Richland's opener sounded with out the synth.

Yes, you're allowed to use electronics in UIL.

From the UIL handbook:

Electronic Equipment. Electronic equipment may be used under the following provisions:

*All electronically produced music including narration and sound effects must be performed live and in real time by eligible students.

*Pre-recorded music, instrumental or vocal, may not be used.

Amplification of instruments or voice may be used with the following restriction:

*All equipment, such as mixers, sound boards, etc. must be operated by eligible students.

*AC power cords and AC supplied amplification units must be located outside the sidelines and

endlines.

---------

These are the exact same rules that BOA uses but the difference is that your speakers and cords have to be on the sideline at UIL.

Yes, you're allowed to use electronics in UIL.

From the UIL handbook:

Electronic Equipment. Electronic equipment may be used under the following provisions:

*All electronically produced music including narration and sound effects must be performed live and in real time by eligible students.

Amplification of instruments or voice may be used with the following restriction:

*All equipment, such as mixers, sound boards, etc. must be operated by eligible students.

*AC power cords and AC supplied amplification units must be located outside the sidelines and

endlines.

---------

These are the exact same rules that BOA uses but the difference is that your speakers and cords have to be on the sideline at UIL.

RRHS had prerecorded voices at UIL

i would guess "narration" is synonymous with "speaking voice" and thus would have to be performed real time. So basically all electronically produced "voice" has to be performed in real-time.

You know, even though this law exists, I think it would be really hard to enforce it. If a band uses a prerecorded sound, you'd have no way of knowing unless it were REALLY obvious (like, using a recording of some famous actor or political figure). You could always have someone lip sync to a voice recording to make it seem like they're producing the sound, or you could have several kids mulling over a keyboard all acting like they're working together to create this complex texture when it's actually prerecorded. The judges have no clue what kind of sound setup you're using, so they really can't tell.

Besides, how do you classify prerecorded? I mean synthesizers can be programmed with instruments derived from real life samples so that every key you press is simply that recording, just raised or lowered in pitch. What's the difference between pressing a 'C#' black key and having an organ tone belt out, and pressing that same key and having a recording of some elaborate thunderstorm burst from the amplifiers in the key of C#? Most of the realistic built-in instrument tracks we hear from synthesizers were at least somewhat derived from a recorded sample. In reality, anything that doesn't sound like it came from a 1980s videogame is polyphonic (multiple-sound/voice) in texture.....so how do you differentiate between a polyphonic sound that was synthetically made or a reproduced sound (which is also polyphonic by definition)?

i would guess "narration" is synonymous with "speaking voice" and thus would have to be performed real time. So basically all electronically produced "voice" has to be performed in real-time.

You know, even though this law exists, I think it would be really hard to enforce it. If a band uses a prerecorded sound, you'd have no way of knowing unless it were REALLY obvious (like, using a recording of some famous actor or political figure). You could always have someone lip sync to a voice recording to make it seem like they're producing the sound, or you could have several kids mulling over a keyboard all acting like they're working together to create this complex texture when it's actually prerecorded. The judges have no clue what kind of sound setup you're using, so they really can't tell.

Besides, how do you classify prerecorded? I mean synthesizers can be programmed with instruments derived from real life samples so that every key you press is simply that recording, just raised or lowered in pitch. What's the difference between pressing a 'C#' black key and having an organ tone belt out, and pressing that same key and having a recording of some elaborate thunderstorm burst from the amplifiers in the key of C#? Most of the realistic built-in instrument tracks we hear from synthesizers were at least somewhat derived from a recorded sample. In reality, anything that doesn't sound like it came from a 1980s videogame is polyphonic (multiple-sound/voice) in texture.....so how do you differentiate between a polyphonic sound that was synthetically made or a reproduced sound (which is also polyphonic by definition)?

That is a really good point. I guess a lot of it has to do w/ honesty in following the rules.