UIL State 1A, 2A & 4A - Nov. 5-6, 2007

Did you see Seattle Cascades' 2006 show, Redemption??? At DCI San Antonio, Dan Potter nearly called them on their EXTREMELY Ascension-like show.

I guess you could say the both vice versa. I have seen the Cascades show in '06, and it is Ascension like. It's a good show concept, I'll give it that ^_^ I am in no way bashing anyone here, I'm just asking. If I offended you, I apologize.

I just think (IMHO) that bands need to be original.

I dunno if I completely agree, although I do agree to a point. My band directors told me about a high school doing a Cavies show note for note... Now that I disagree with. But adding in some DCI music to your show doesn't bother me too much. I think at this point, marching band has evolved to a similar "look and feel" that DCI notorious for. Besides, DCI has had a huge impact on that evolution. But I agree with you for the most part. Come up with your own, original, marching show. Go right ahead and add a few DCI licks or even whole parts into your show, just don't let it overtake it and become the focus for your show!

Continuing my above comments, I just think that marching bands should be original. I'm not saying that just because the Cavaliers did 007, doesn't mean that no one else can; I'm not meaning to incite that at all. I just think that playing an EXACT copy of a DCI book in marching band is lame. No disrespect to directors at all. I just know that all band directors have to be INCREDIBLY talented to do what they do - why not channel that creativity into developing an original show theme?

I have seen two 4A bands this year copy almost VERBATUM (minus some cuts due to time restrictions) a DCI book, in case anyone is wondering (:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We at Centennial will be pushing as hard as we can this upcoming week to move off of that "On the Bubble" list to the "4A finalists" list. I hope every other band out there will be too! this way we can make the 4A state marching contest of 2007 one of the most memorable in history. =]]

haha if u dont then ytf r u even going to state??? kno wwhat i mean

Anytime..

:D

I seriously love your show though..

Its nifty!

lol..

I like Aledos more though..

Sry.

lol. i like aledo's show too. i only got to see it once, but it was pretty awesome.

i wish i couldve seen sherman's show though. guess ill just have to wait till the Centennial Marching Festival

hahaha

silly freshmen

well... one

yeahhhhh

all i can say is

im bringing all i've got,

and putting it all into that show.

im not here to talk *^&*

or make bets on whos going to win,

but it's going to be an intense show.

p.s. i loveeee kellers show (yeah i know there 5a.....)

p.p.s wheres borchnork? he hasn't posted in a page or two

must be his all time record

:D

p.s. i loveeee kellers show (yeah i know there 5a.....)

Yeah...

I especially like the entire minute of Keller's show where the woodwinds lay down. I wish Sherman had the ability to execute something like that.

Or what about their minute long drum break that was nothing but visuals? That was a pretty intense show.