we had the first performance on Friday night. since we were the home team, Brazoswood went first. about 40seconds in to our opener, it starts raining (BW's show is entitled "Rain" haha) there was a slight tear near the part where the pit stopped playing to load the pit stuff, but on the most part, it was okay, it was a typical first performance.

afterward, we rushed off the field, took our stuff from the stands and hid under the stadium. at that point, the sky opened up and the torrential rain started to fall (similar to what we had that thursday a couple weeks back)

how did y'all's performances go?

our first game was...interesting.

it was langham vs. katy taylor

It was raining and lightning at first, so we were on the bus basically until halftime.

And it was sort of misting still, so woodwinds didnt get their insterments out and marched half time just with horns up while brass played.

Not to mention only about 60% of the band marched the show, due to our strict "no pass, no play" policy.

So there was alot of holes. It was crazy trying to guide.

But our director was really happy with the performance, so its all good.

Also, for the drill team song both schools played "My Sharona"

Except Katy Taylor actually had their woodwinds play.

It was pretty funny.

our first game was...interesting.

it was langham vs. katy taylor

It was raining and lightning at first, so we were on the bus basically until halftime.

And it was sort of misting still, so woodwinds didnt get their insterments out and marched half time just with horns up while brass played.

Not to mention only about 60% of the band marched the show, due to our strict "no pass, no play" policy.

So there was alot of holes. It was crazy trying to guide.

But our director was really happy with the performance, so its all good.

Also, for the drill team song both schools played "My Sharona"

Except Katy Taylor actually had their woodwinds play.

It was pretty funny.

We played My Sharona haha

Our first performance was disappointing. We were going up against Eastern Hills High School and at half time they decided that they didn't want to march because of the mud. They told our director and our director decided that we wouldn't march either to be polite. In the end, we stood on the track and played for the audience.

well, we havent had our first yet...

ours was against converse judson.

well first, we start on the visitors side of the track and march around to the home side. well the football team had their stuff on the track. it was cool, we thought, well, they dont kno.

so then one of our directors goes and asks if they can move it. they say, no.

THENNN, one of the coaches from OUR school comes and gets in OUR directors face and tells him to not to tell them what to do. so yea.

then, after all that, we finally get to the home side. get in the stands and warm-up a little. we play the school song, then fight song, and put our instruments up cause it was gonna rain. THENNN, someone saw lightning, and then we had to leave the stands and go back to the band hall, for i dont kno, an hour and a half. the game didnt start back til 9.30, and the band had the choice of either going home, or going back, but just to watch and cheer. no instruments.

so yea, interesting first game.

so our first perfomance will be at the alamodome this saturday.

exciting.

Our school doesn't play in week 0 so we officially have not performed, but a lot of our band went and so our big sister school Frisco High, which played Lakeview Centennial. Both bands did well, but I wasn't a fan of either's music, and they only have the opener on the field so it went by really fast. Still it was a lot of fun

marching in mud is hard. because of the roll step, your heels get stuck in the mud, you sink during the briefest holds. backwards marching is tough.

then afterward, you have to clean your shoes and re-polish them.

Yeah, that's true. The only thing is it wasn't really muddy. But it worked out for the better because we had just got our new uniforms so some of the pants were too long and would have gotten dirty out on the field. They'll be ready by Friday though.

We played the Lewisville Farmers, and wow they have a big band...

They didn't play any of there show music, they played some arrangement of the Blue Brothers and some other stuff and marched Forward, Reverse and Sideways..

other then that there performance was good.

Now our performance

We did both our opener and ballad (middle tune), In the Opener the music was great and marching was okay, we still need to work on the marching portion of it.

In the Middle tune marching was better but we kinda phased a bit.

So i say we did really good for a first performance

Yeah, that's true. The only thing is it wasn't really muddy. But it worked out for the better because we had just got our new uniforms so some of the pants were too long and would have gotten dirty out on the field. They'll be ready by Friday though.

that's good then. it'd be even worse if you march with white shoes.

how common is using a met at the first game or two? wondering because we used one this year but haven't in the past that I have been around for.

i think we've used it once in the whole four years i've been in school. however, we did have the snare for the first 20 measures or so, since it was only pit playing the entire beginning. (this year)

how common is using a met at the first game or two? wondering because we used one this year but haven't in the past that I have been around for.

ive never heard of a school using a met during a game, except cy-falls.

i though it was sort of embaressing to do so?

That really surprises me if its something common.

in a idealistic kinda world that would happen on a first game. but you always get the new members that aren't used to it yet and that are nervous because its thier firs game and all that kinda stuff. and alot of new members aren't used to not being able to look down and see where they are yet. so they're worried about that. i think the met is a good idea for the first 2-3 games

well, we havent had our first yet...

ours was against converse judson.

well first, we start on the visitors side of the track and march around to the home side. well the football team had their stuff on the track. it was cool, we thought, well, they dont kno.

so then one of our directors goes and asks if they can move it. they say, no.

THENNN, one of the coaches from OUR school comes and gets in OUR directors face and tells him to not to tell them what to do. so yea.

then, after all that, we finally get to the home side. get in the stands and warm-up a little. we play the school song, then fight song, and put our instruments up cause it was gonna rain. THENNN, someone saw lightning, and then we had to leave the stands and go back to the band hall, for i dont kno, an hour and a half. the game didnt start back til 9.30, and the band had the choice of either going home, or going back, but just to watch and cheer. no instruments.

oh is that what happened when ya'll got caught up in front of our stands...i was wondering why ya'll were just standing there, lol. and that definitely was an interesting game, hah, since i didn't see it, however we won!!! lol, totally sweet, and in case other people don't know and can't use context clues or a brain we also had our show rained out. lol.