The Academy

borchnork

I was surprised that people were so surprised by their success this past season but they definitely won some people over.

It was so interesting to see how people reacted to The Academy at DCI Southwestern. When they were first announced, barely anyone clapped. By the time the first half of the show was done, people were really digging it.

Their drumline =  :o

Good thing you mentioned that. Not only did their drumline have A TON of notes to play, the line is EXTREMELY young. I was looking for a few friends in the lot during the afternoon intermission when I stumbled upon The Academy drumline warming up. They looked like they were all high school Freshman but man, can they play!

Good thing you mentioned that.  Not only did their drumline has A TON of notes to play, the line is EXTREMELY young.  I was looking for a few friends in the lot during the afternoon intermission when I stumbled upon The Academy drumline warming up.  They looked like they were all high school Freshman but man, can they play!

I listened to Glen Crosby's (caption head) interview on DCI.org and he mentioned that the players were all very motivated. They have Murray Gusseck there too. They look badass. I might have to take a look into it... :ph34r::P

I do think their fan numbers will slowly climb (and I expect that they skyrocketed last season). They came to DCI Frisco last year and completely pwnd every other corp out there.

If they keep making the steady improvements they have, I think they have some serious potential to be a big threat in a few years.

QUOTE (EODrillDesigner98 @ Aug 22 2007, 11:16 PM)

Hey! Trumpet Master

Why do you say that. Just wondering.

Thanks

Oh, no reason. I've just been set on marching Phantom Regiment for the past four years.

My freshmen year we marched Ostinato by Bartok and did the whole triangle with the front row kneeling down move. The next year we did Defiant Heart, and after that we did a Fire of Eternal Glory/ Firebird show, so naturally i love their style.

I also liked The Academy's style and they will be up and coming pretty soon.

Word going around during tour (back when Academy was making 7th place in the rankings) was they could be the next Star of Indiana, the corps that just ws good all the time.

The hornline did have problems, And their drum book especially seemed like it could have had more "beef" if you will (especially if you have future Hall of Famer Glen Crosby teaching you), but there was a lot of good in that show, and they defidently had a swagger about them that set them apart from the other corps nearby them.

Whether or not they rock finals as the 2nd generation Star is to be determined later. What you can expect is a corps that should (in my opinion) break top 6 by 2012.

Or, in my fantasy world, get silver to the TROOPERS!!! HAHAHA! I wish!

• 1 month later...

Academy has been my fav div 2 corp for a long time now and Cavvies were my favorite div 1 (since I have close friends that march for both, I was uber biased). So, when the Academy moved up, I had to decide who my ultimate favorite was.

I knew the Academy would be successful. *points to signature*

With or without me, I want to see them get top 7 next year and top three the year after.

Top 3 in a couple of years seems doubtful (let's face it, miracles like the 1979 Troopers don't happen very often)

It's all about vet and staff retention. Looking at other corps that made simular moves from Div II (like Seattle, who made finals their first year in 2002 and have struggled to return ever since) and Mandarins (have not made it past semis yet), you notice their staff frequently leaving and a very low number of vets returning. Seeing corps like Blue Stars and Carolina Crown who made the jump and do very well retaining the majority of the vets do better statictically, which is something I think Acadamy does fairly well.

As long as Academy can hold on to its young talent and staff like Blue Stars have (and there seems to be no reason they can't), The Academy are one of the corps to bet out of Finals this upcoming summer.

Academy has been my fav div 2 corp for a long time now and Cavvies were my favorite div 1 (since I have close friends that march for both, I was uber biased). So, when the Academy moved up, I had to decide who my ultimate favorite was.

I knew the Academy would be successful. *points to signature*

With or without me, I want to see them get top 7 next year and top three the year after.

Top 3 in 3 years doesn't genereally just happen...

• 3 weeks later...