But that is not to say that Southwest and Birdville did not do well, I personally think that Southwest was undeservedly not placed in finals( I think they got 11th in Prelims). Southwest was excellent musically, something which may be a deciding factor in the area contest. If they could only march better, who knows?

My personal rankings are:

1. Sherman

2+3. Aledo or The Colony

4. Juan Seguin

5. Between Birdville, Centennial, and Southwest (That's the real battle)

a band in my area last year did 180, pretty fast stuff but your saying no one really does it in 4A?

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that is not to say that Southwest and Birdville did not do well, I personally think that Southwest was undeservedly not placed in finals( I think they got 11th in Prelims). Southwest was excellent musically, something which may be a deciding factor in the area contest. If they could only march better, who knows?

My personal rankings are:

1. Sherman

2+3. Aledo or The Colony

4. Juan Seguin

5. Between Birdville, Centennial, and Southwest (That's the real battle)

Yeah, our marching killed us. Based on the music scores, we beat even Juan Seguin in prelims. That's not going to matter at Area, though, unless we get our marching better. We're still in the process of bumping up the tempo of our closer to 168. I think we marched at 168 on Saturday but we had just made the change that morning. Anyway, the weather is killing us. We need to get out on the field to actually work on marching but it was pouring this morning. If we can get focused and nail our marching down, I think we still have a shot. Otherwise, there's no way.

our band director controls the weather.

I firmly believe this, even though it sounds like some sort of freak theory.

it stopped raining for our practice today, even though it was cloudy and scary. And I think if I can hear correctly, it JUST started raining now! 45 minutes AFTER practice ends. While this may seem like just a coincidence, IT'S HAPPENED EVERY SINGLE DAY IT'S RAINED!!! (with the exception of 2 days, but I think he wanted it to rain to give us a break. =] )

our band director controls the weather.

I firmly believe this, even though it sounds like some sort of freak theory.

it stopped raining for our practice today, even though it was cloudy and scary. And I think if I can hear correctly, it JUST started raining now! 45 minutes AFTER practice ends. While this may seem like just a coincidence, IT'S HAPPENED EVERY SINGLE DAY IT'S RAINED!!! (with the exception of 2 days, but I think he wanted it to rain to give us a break. =] )

Your director has some serious skill. I just hate how we haven't had to cancel a single practice because of rain until the final two weeks after a contest that proves that our marching needs the most work. It better not rain tomorrow.

Yah, it's scary.

I'm sure you guys will pull it together. And plus, it's only supposed to rain in the morning tomorrow!

Morning's still bad. It takes away about an hour and a half worth of rehearsal time. Oh well, as long as we still get the afternoon tomorrow. We're supposed to add a lot of visuals tomorrow.

wait... what is ur rehearsal schedule like?

We're on the parking lot and starting at 7:30AM everyday. Rehearsal runs from that time through 1st period which ends at like 9:20. Then we have one hour after school on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. If we have a Thursday game, then we have a one hour rehearsal on Wednesday.

Yeah, that's a pretty good idea. I wish we could have done that in our band instead of two hour rehearsals after school, but we have this block schedule thing that throws almost everyone off if we were to arrange that... we'd have about 3/4ths of the band every other day... confusing :wacko:

But it does help with homework... two days to figure out AP Physics is really helping me out this year.

Yeah, that's a pretty good idea. I wish we could have done that in our band instead of two hour rehearsals after school, but we have this block schedule thing that throws almost everyone off if we were to arrange that... we'd have about 3/4ths of the band every other day... confusing :wacko:

But it does help with homework... two days to figure out AP Physics is really helping me out this year.

geez I'm glad I'm not that taking AP physics, I'm in pre-ap this year and have really hated it, but yeah that must be pretty cool to have all that extra time, and UIL can't do anything about it b/c it's perfectly legal... I think

I never knew our band was so unique. Our school has had first period marching band at least since our current director came 7 or 8 years ago. He was the one that kind of brought us out of the darkness. Before he came, we got 3's and 4's at UIL. It might be a valley thing though. That's where our two top directors come from and from what I've told my lessons teacher and what he's responded with, our school has some unique traits that come from down there.

I never knew our band was so unique. Our school has had first period marching band at least since our current director came 7 or 8 years ago. He was the one that kind of brought us out of the darkness. Before he came, we got 3's and 4's at UIL. It might be a valley thing though. That's where our two top directors come from and from what I've told my lessons teacher and what he's responded with, our school has some unique traits that come from down there.

Hebron does it. ...

I'm glad we got rid of that Woodwind/Brass class concept too... it really was a hinderance.

But on a completely unrelated note, can anyone link me to something I've been looking for (I've seen them before but I can't find them anymore on this site...)- the order of Area bands for Area B (I remember we are last...). I'd be very thankful if someone could!

I think that where some bands are placed will also help them to stand out a little more or just affect their overall performance. Some bands (like us) don't do well with earlier performances, while some bands need something early in the morning to pull it off. That could be a slight factor in Area B... simply scheduling.