Should State Marching Competition be held Annually

I would love to see State go back to every year (at very least Area should be every year).

However, there are a lot of reasons given by directors that don't want it to go back:

• Money. It costs A LOT of money to make reservations for hundreds of people with only 1 week of notice.
    • Wouldn't the football or basketball team be allowed to make reservations at the drop of a dime if they had a good season?

[*]Money. It's a long drive from most of Texas to anywhere else in Texas.

• This is why we should rotate locations around the state.

[*]Money. Some directors think that they have to spend more money on their show on a State year.

• That's up to each director. If they don't want to spend more, then they don't have to.

[*]Many directors think that competition is evil (or at least abused) and so we shouldn't have competitions all the time since that isn't what really matters.

• If a director doesn't like competition, they can just not attend (and explain that to their administration).
    • The ironic thing about this is that many of these directors don't like BOA and State being every other year is one of the major reasons that BOA was able to grab a-hold down here.

[*]There are too many bands at State (all conferences) to fit in any one place over a short period of time.

• Well. . . This may be a hard thing to do, but maybe don't take so many bands?

It should be every year.......but it won't be.

There are very few bands that can get the job done in both UIL and BOA consistently. Those are two different animals to tame. I'm talking about the bands that can design AND perform a top five show at UIL State and make Grand Nationals Finals a few days later.

Everyone else has to pick their poison on even years. The design team has to pick a show that will either appeal to UIL or BOA and trust me, they know that one of those marching entities will not be satisfied. We know that it's not about the trophies and medals but you cannot tell me that it doesn't feel real darn good to be announced as a Finalist and for those that have to pick their poison, it's not always going to happen. I think directors try to make it to the highest level, no matter what the competition is, but it is not an easy task.

With the staggered State scheduling, bands who do choose to be creative and push the limit have BOA as the outlet every odd year, instead of having to "tone down" the design process to fit both UIL and BOA styles every single year.

Nope. Couple of reasons why.

1. It takes a ton of money from the school districts to foot bills for some of that stuff.

2. Yes, I know that the UIL can be an evil thing and yes it is a money trap, but it would take a ton of money to foot the bill for every year thus upping the amount it costs the ISDs to participate.

3. TOO MANY PARTICIPANTS!! Someone earlier said, "It's not like all the bands would be at the dome on the same day." They're right. HOWEVER, think about how much it costs to use the dome. Then how about judges? How many different panels are you going to have? Then add into the equation the amount of kids in San Antonio. Ever been to San Antonio during TMEA? Yeah, try tripling or quadrupling the amount of people there. How about hotels? All in all, just too many folks in SA.

Those are just three of my reasons why it shouldn't be every year. Yes, competition is good and it helps push ourselves, but logistically, it's not a very good move.

I, on the complete flipside, would love to see this happen. In UIL Honor Band, a State Champion cannot repeat as Honor Band. For example, in 2004 Canyon High School won 3A State Honor Band. They were not allowed to repeat as State Honor Band in 2006. What I'm getting at is this. The reason for this rule is to allow recognition to deserving schools. I'd like to see the same rule applied to SMC.

If you win, two years later you perform as an exhibition group will finals scores are being tallied. This way, one school doesn't win every year. BUT, since they are an exhibition group, they wouldn't want to be shown up so they would work just as hard to look even better as the exhibition group. I suggest that they still be allowed to compete at the Area level (another incentive to continue the excellence that they had already done). Furthermore, it gives incentives to the school district to continue greatness in their music program.

Just my two or three or four cents.

if they have the contest every year for each class they should do as the other state chapionships do (football,baskettball etc.)... who says we have to stay in san antonio( parking suxs at the alamodome anyways)... reliant staduim in houston is a very nice place with a moving roof, so if if the weather is nice we can play "outside", and if it is bad (2002 smc for ex.) they can close the roof... the dallas cowboys are building a brand-spankin-new stadium in arlington that is the same way (but 10 times cooler). its should open up by the fall of 2008...

so why not have 1a 2a and 4a compete at houston or san antonio, and 3a and 5a competes in dallas...

so why not have 1a 2a and 4a compete at houston or san antonio, and 3a and 5a competes in dallas...

Driving from down here (the Valley) to up there (Dallas) is not a very fun trip on a bus...it's almost 10 hours!! :wacko:

As to the discussion at hand, I think it would be great to have state every year, but I think the current system is beneficial to the development of stronger programs. It satisfies both crowds in the UIL/BOA debate by allowing bands to have a shot at both types of judging because let's face it, UIL judging just isn't all that fun, but I think it really serves its purpose in naming the best bands in the state. At the same time, having a harder, more creative show for BOA makes UIL shows seem a bit easier.

I think that there should at least be area every year though, but I think they should instead have a BOAish judging system for the off years so that the monotony of UIL doesn't drive people crazy.

if they have the contest every year for each class they should do as the other state chapionships do (football,baskettball etc.)... who says we have to stay in san antonio( parking suxs at the alamodome anyways)... reliant staduim in houston is a very nice place with a moving roof, so if if the weather is nice we can play "outside", and if it is bad (2002 smc for ex.) they can close the roof... the dallas cowboys are building a brand-spankin-new stadium in arlington that is the same way (but 10 times cooler). its should open up by the fall of 2008...

Biggest dome structure on earth. It's only gonna cost us 1 billion dollars, lol. I say we should put it to use as much as possible.

so what competition will most of these bands go to if they don't go to state?

seem like every 4a year, bands like to go to sam and such contests.

last year sam had cy falls and berkner.

the thing is, if you are not a well-established band with great feeders, everyother year makes much disappointment, kinda.

sam and boa are awesome, but state is state. people not in band don't understand that UIL had bad judging systems. *shrug

All factors aside, State should be once a year.

With all the factors included, just isn't possible. Just so much to factor in that it wouldn't be feasible to do it once a year. Aren't there 1,090 school districts in Texas (I think it is 1,090, I know there are over 1,000 though.) That is at least 1,090 high schools, not counting the fact that the larger districts have more than one high school. So logistically, it would be impossible to coordinate these schools through Area and then State for all classifications once a year.

Side note about places for state, besides the fact that the Alamodome is well, a dome, San Antonio is more centrally located than say Dallas or Houston.

QUOTE (crazyjakeup @ Jan 22 2007, 09:41 AM)
didnt they have the contest  in waco??? and besides you can always rotate locations...

Yeah.

The State Championships were held at the Baylor Stadium in Waco up until the 2002 season. But after the unfortunate events (weather) that took place at 5A State that year, the UIL decided to move the competition to an indoor venue starting in 2003. I would love to see State be rotated, but the UIL might be a bit hesitant on moving the event to an outdoor venue after what happened.

All factors aside, State should be once a year.

With all the factors included, just isn't possible. Just so much to factor in that it wouldn't be feasible to do it once a year. Aren't there 1,090 school districts in Texas (I think it is 1,090, I know there are over 1,000 though.) That is at least 1,090 high schools, not counting the fact that the larger districts have more than one high school. So logistically, it would be impossible to coordinate these schools through Area and then State for all classifications once a year.

Side note about places for state, besides the fact that the Alamodome is well, a dome, San Antonio is more centrally located than say Dallas or Houston.

Maybe geographically, but I would say that a population center would be significanlty farther north- somewhere between Houston and there. Probably around Waco, in fact.