How big is your band?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have drill using too many people to cut anyone at this point in our band program's development...

I think my class is going to see the first particularly good and competitive season our senior year, though next year will still probably be good.

I think the whole amount of cheering our little band on by Cedar Park and Leander is just funny... though I appreciate it, I still find it demeaning in that it seems that we're treated as the... "cuter?" band, and not a competitor. Or maybe we have a generally friendly relationship between the schools, at least in band.

I prefer a perhaps 180-220 size band, or smaller if it can work that way. Enough size to cover the field, but still have individual movements high... not just how many steps you take.

El Paso Coronado usually marches 130 including guard and pit, and has maybe 20 alternates. That was 5 years ago, but I don't think much has changed. Before they opened Franklin HS 12 someodd years ago (the other EP westside HS), the program was much bigger, but still only marched around 130. A band of that size has more drill options and use of its field.

CHS has always been Division 5A, and I think AAA for BOA. About 2,700 students enrolled (at the school, not in band, hehe).

• 2 weeks later...
I prefer a perhaps 180-220 size band, or smaller if it can work that way. Enough size to cover the field, but still have individual movements high... not just how many steps you take.

what do you consider "covering" the field?

cause i think along the lines of goal to goal.

but i don't think that's what you had in mind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

40 clarinets? WoW..anyway, we march about 90-ish, and around 10 in pit but we have more enrolled in band class itself-we just have ineligibilities and people who didn't show up for fish camp or whatever and people who just aren't involved in marching band. We're currently a 4A, but as of next year we're a 5A. What used to be a small town has grown tremendously (sp?) in the past year or two because new neighborhoods were built and apparently everyone who moved in has like, 3 high school-aged kids :(

• 2 weeks later...