I don't have the rankings of the bands, but these are the ones who made it into finals, in performance order:

Bowie

Reagan

Marcus

Coppell

Langham Creek

Berkner

L. D. Bell

Duncanville

Churchill

Akins

congratulations to all the bands that participated, it was a really great competition, all of them sounded really awesome.

edit:

Prelims Results

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty friggin sweet; it is almost inconceivable that it is a sequel to last year. Then again, when you consider the subject matter, I suppose it would be euqivalent (analogous to a war theme) to handing equipment out to soldiers, whereas this year is the full on invasion. Oh, and if you missed the point there, last year was about the Rapture. So a bunch of people disappear- so what? This year though, is about the catastrophes that strike those that weren't so fortunate to ascend. That's what I'm f---ing talking about.

I don't have the rankings of the bands, but these are the ones who made it into finals, in performance order:

Bowie

Reagan

Marcus

Coppell

Langham Creek

Berkner

L. D. Bell

Duncanville

Churchill

Akins

congratulations to all the bands that participated, it was a really great competition, all of them sounded really awesome.

edit:

Prelims Results

HaHa, i was trying to remember all the names + i couldn`t...well, i think L.D. Bell is going to take it. i`ve heard they have the best show[= Oh, + i luv`d Marcus` show. i never really thought saw Marcus as a big contender but i saw this show + even though it was a bit much on the "fun" side, it was really good + a lot of people liked it.

I don't know if any of you know this, but I am going to throw it out there anyway.

Last year, L.D Bell did a show which revolved around the Rapture, with bright music and triumphant, glorious journies to heaven. They did very well with that show, but took it one more step further this year.

This year, their show revolves around all of the souls left behind. It's entitled "The Remaining", and is meant to keep you on the edge of your seat while creeping you out. I was at competition with them a couple times this year, and their music creeped me out. The colorguard plays a huge role in this.

I think one of the coolest aspects of L.D Bell's show is its ability to catch the attention of the audience and keep that attention until they are off the field. While I love Ronald Reagan, Churchill, and Bowie, I am rooting for L.D Bell.

I honestly think they deserve to win this year.

No offense, but Duncanville is too traditional for me..

Just got back from finals-

Bowie was the first on, and they were VERY exciting. Probably one of the coolest visual moments of the night was when the woodwinds made all of theses cocentric circles that expanded and collapsed agaisnt each other really fast. It was litterally dizzying.

Reagan- Not as exciting as I thought it would be. They played well and were pretty clean visually. Not gonna win it, IMHO, but It was a very nice show. The only "reaganish" thing about it is the part where the winds so the arm/body movement to the slow synth bass thing.

Marcus was the absolute crowd favorite. They play amazingly. Drill was boring, but marched very well. I picked them to win. There music was absolutely incredibly well played. The percussion section, especially the pit, was ridiculously amazing. I loved the show.

Ld Bell- I ruin marching shows for myself. I read all the reviews and have this weird pre-conception about what the show is like, and then when I watch it is never what I expect, and I feel sort of dissapointed. Don't get me wrong, they were amazing. The guard was HUGE and maybe the best High school guard I have ever seen. The guard probably would have placed well in freakin DCI. There was never a dirty moment. The show was very good, drill could have been and has been better. I had marcus over them. LD bell is not as squeaky clean as marcus, because they are running around the field the whole time. The show is as creepy as everyone says it is. In fact, I felt sick at one point. Not sure if it was due to the show or not, but creepy nonetheless.

The absence of the woodlands from finals shows how completely different BOA and UIL are. I Hate the UIL system. Look at the scores. The judges are terribly inconsistent, and kept reagan from being in the top 5. The scored above 10 in just about everything, but one judge had them 23. How? Were they watching the same band? I'll never understand. I would have much rather seen TWHS, Haltom, or Richland in finals than bands like Coppel and Langham Creek. No offense to those bands, but they obviously "play" the system. Coppel's drill was retarted easy. They sound great, but they also aren't flying around.

If I was a band director, I would not do UIL. Any judging system that can have the same band in 6th and 23rd place is too inconsistent for me.

Rankings

1. Marcus

2. LD Bell

3. Duncanville *

4. Churchill *

5. Reagan *

6. Langham Creek

7. Coppell

8. Bowie

9. Berkner

10. Akins

* A three way tie for third, places determined through some tiebreaker method.

Duncanville - Such an upbeat show....it seemed to keep you happy through it all, guard included. But man, Coppell is such a large band just like Reagan, and their drill emphasized each person/section in a way to keep you interested all the way through the performance. Great Job to everyone!!!! :D

And Im still a HUGE fan of L.D. Bell, I still loved their shortened UIL version - Even though they took out the set where the guard hit the walls - they sell that show so well.

Rankings

1. Marcus

2. LD Bell

3. Duncanville *

4. Churchill *

5. Reagan *

6. Langham Creek

7. Coppell

8. Bowie

9. Berkner

10. Akins

* A three way tie for third, places determined through some tiebreaker method.

Duncanville - Such an upbeat show....it seemed to keep you happy through it all, guard included. But man, Coppell is such a large band just like Reagan, and their drill emphasized each person/section in a way to keep you interested all the way through the performance. Great Job to everyone!!!! :D

And Im still a HUGE fan of L.D. Bell, I still loved their shortened UIL version - Even though they took out the set where the guard hit the walls - they sell that show so well.

churchill should be third with the tiebreaker

Haha. This is Mr. Tarver. :D

How did you know?

@ Moose:

I agree, fully. At the Area Marching Contest (the same one Bell was in) our scores were like this:

864 - Place 8.

840 - Place 6.

806 - Place 7.

784 - Place 8.

540 - Place 18.

One judge screwed us over. I was so angry because of the inconsitency. I like BOA better. There are seperate judges for everything, so you get a good feel of what your band is really like.

At UIL, someone who is more of a musical person could be placed as a marching judge. This is not good, because their preference is MUSIC.

Whatever. Marcus played their music very well. I was a bit disappointed. For such a good size of band, they could have been a bit louder. The show was really cutesy, with pretty boring drill at times. It was VERY clean, though.

I don't get how Duncanville always makes it high in finals. I just don't.

Either way, L.D Bell won in my book.

another great night in the dome for sure.

had marcus in first also. they move so well (difficulty is debateable) and played with an extremely mature, well-balanced sound.

bell did it to me again tonight. i was PRAYING they would bust out their "tag" ending with the time restrictions gone in finals, but alas... :(

i had no idea where duncanville would place. i figured it would be high as they tend to jump people you wouldn't always expect.

great night for all bands.

Still the worst judging I've ever seen was SFA in the 2004 prelims.  One judge gave us 3rd place in music, another gave us dead last.  It makes me laugh.

Yes, that 3rd from Alfred Watkins was completely uncalled for. The last place was too harsh, but the judge that had SFA towards the top of the bottom tier was about right.

This is one of the many examples that I have of BOA judges at State being completely off the wall with their placements and thus why I believe that we should not have BOA judges judging State.

Note: I'm not trying to bash SFA 2004, that was just an awful run and I'm glad that they really turned it on at GN.

How a band can stand still for 2:15 and get a medal is beyond me.

You would be amazed at how much many other bands stand still, they just hide it by only having the section that is playing stand still while everyone else marches nearly silent or just holding a chord.

Also, how a band can writhe and run around on the field for two minutes (total, not consecutive) while not playing except for soloists can get a 1st in music at UIL is beyond me.

Note: I love Bell's show as a show, but it doesn't hold up to UIL standards of champion material in the Music department.

I would have much rather seen TWHS, Haltom, or Richland in finals than bands like Coppel and Langham Creek. No offense to those bands, but they obviously "play" the system. Coppel's drill was retarted easy. They sound great, but they also aren't flying around.

What exactly do you mean by "play" the system? We (Langham) use our talent to the best of our abilities to achieve the best performance we can deliver. Our show Enigma was our best ever in my opinion; the arrangement of actual music, our extremely difficult drill, and some visuals/props (ick) are what place us among the State finalists.

Btw, while we were in warm-up I overheard another band playing Nimrod, who was it?