UIL 5A Results

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey get over it who are u just curious? and In my opinion i dont think u can really compare the shows.. Cuz they are some what to different in a way i guess. One deals with visuals for only marching. By this i mean they dont have body visuals like lunges and such like we have now, and the other deals with many Visuals for BOA like crawling and random scatter sets. So i think both the shows are great just it really cant compare with each other because they are completely different. Notice the year difference "93" -"06"

Who am I? Just guess! Guys wanna touch my chest.

AHAHAHAHAH just kidding

I don't even know why I thought of that.

I'm the voice of reason. That's all you must know.

And you have a valid argument. Point taken.

UIL sucks. The system is flawed. I will not name names, but a lot of bands who should have been in finals weren't, and a lot of bands who made finals shouldn't have... It's obvious... If you've been around the activity, you'd see that... UIL has the most archaic, nonsensical scoring system I've ever seen... This is truly a disservice the the many participants... Also, the judging was ludicrous... How on earth can the placements produce that much inconsistency.... A thurough investigation and re-evaluation of the current scoring system needs to happen immediately. Changes need to be made to insure that these kinds of gross discrepencies quit happening. All I want to see is consistency.

My opinion, go to a BOA/DCI style format. This is the national standard. I don't see why Texas needs to operate on a different set of rules and criteria than the rest of the country...

Thus Reagan and Duncanville were ranked highest by two judges each.  Then by factoring in the ranking of Judge 2 to break the tie, Duncanville ranked highest.  Thus, Duncanville was awarded the Third Place in the contest.

Hmmmm... seems to me that if the way they did it was because Duncanville made highest by two judges and Reagan made highest by two judges, than wouldn't their original order be Duncanville, Reagan, Churchill before they realized they messed up? My guess is their "they made this many 1s so they win" business is a cover-up for the fact that they did it the right way but UIL judges just can't count.

The big shock for me was that only 1 band from Houston made it... Langham... Nobody from area F made it... Spring, Brazoswood, Woodlands, etc.... I was like "...what?" Same thing with Austin... I don't get it... I won't name names, but there were at least 2-3 bands in finals that I KNOW a LOT of people agree didn't belong there...

hahaha, I agree with tnilli.

Watching finals was...alright. Sure we were all disappointed with not making finals, but a lot of us were excited to be able to see many great bands perform for us. We've had MANY weird time slots this year so we haven't gotten to see a lot of marching shows...so I was happy that the freshmen could finally see what we actually do, and how cool it looks.

Plus, I finally got to see BELL! Haha. Though it wasn't their full show, it was still amazing. I had chills the whole time. Marcus was amazing as well. I loved everything they did.

Overall, State was lots of fun. :D congrats to all the bands! and I'm glad to see that they are awarding both Duncanville and Churchill third place.

How can any of you be upset over the Prelims results? Did any of you see all of the bands? I doubt it. At least 5 of the bands that made finals were expected to. Of the other 5, two made it two years ago, one has traditionally been in the finals at every SMC except two years ago, another has been impressing people all season, and the last was ranked third going into the finals. If you still want to argue, then think about whether you've seen all of these bands this year or not. Most of you hadn't seen even the top 10 before State, much less the top 15. Even if we were to starting dropping highest/lowest scores, the same ten would have been in the finals with only a few changes in order. The simple fact is that so many bands in Texas have improved over the last two years that there is no longer a small, elite group. There are individual bands that stick out, but the top tier of bands has grown quite a bit since the last 5A State Marching Contest. In the end, this can only mean that the level of achievement (and competition) is increasing throughout the state, which will do nothing but benefit high school band.

But the UIL judging system of inconsistent ranking as opposed to raw scores is what is bothering people. Many bands deserve to make the finals roster, but only a select few make it in. Although all these bands did deserve it, the ranking system chose bands who in many people's opinions were less deserving than others. Seeing Ronald Reagan getting I believe a 23 and a 4 in music isn't just "difference of opinion." Difference of opinion would look like 4 and 7, not close enough to be state champ (4) and close enough to question advancing (23). Same thing happened with Akins, 2 and 21.

You also can't drop the high and low since the judging format wasn't built for that. The judging panel would have to be larger and maybe designed differently, because for 3 music and 2 marching, you can't drop a high and a low. You can't drop a high and a low with two categories mixed together either. Dropping a high or low marching score would leave only 1 opinion on a bands marching, and that opinion could be biased and wrong. There'd have to be more judges and a different designed for the high and low to take place, so it would not be the same if we just dropped the high and low based on those results.

How about they just get rid of the ranking system altogether? It's obvious that it doesn't work, year after year, yet UIL continues to hope that the next 5A competition won't SUCK as horribly as the one before. Add a field judge to score individual marching and one to judge music and get rid of the ranking system. Heck, I don't even care if they don't take into account GE. At the very least, let's give consistent scores.

In TMEA when we do auditions for all-state, at all the different levels, we have 5 judges, with the high and low being dropped. I would like to have a similar method, it's just that 10 judges, 5 music and 5 marching would probably be too costly and maybe a little unorthodox, but probably a more accurate opinion could be deciphered, even with difference of opinion between the judges.

First and foremost, I'd like to add my congratulations to all of the bands who represented outstanding music programs in the state of Texas. I appreciate all of the hard work and dedication that goes in to the shows and my hat is off to each and every one of the kids, staff, and parents who make it all possible. It truly is a pleasure to see young people involved in such a positive activity. The lessons learned will surely last a lifetime.

While I was disappointed that my child's band did not make finals (SFA, of course I thought the show was fabulous :D ), I can honestly say that I couldn't be more proud. Austin band members, you will Be Remembered!! Your show will be remembered; your dignity and grace will be remembered and your hard work and dedication will be remembered. Each member put his/her heart and soul in to the performance. Because I know how much went in to our show, I know without a doubt that this was the case with all the bands at SMC. So whether or not your band made finals, hold your head high. You kiddos are great!!

From and admiring band parent/fan.