UIL 5A Results

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost, I'd like to add my congratulations to all of the bands who represented outstanding music programs in the state of Texas. I appreciate all of the hard work and dedication that goes in to the shows and my hat is off to each and every one of the kids, staff, and parents who make it all possible. It truly is a pleasure to see young people involved in such a positive activity. The lessons learned will surely last a lifetime.

While I was disappointed that my child's band did not make finals (SFA, of course I thought the show was fabulous :D ), I can honestly say that I couldn't be more proud. Austin band members, you will Be Remembered!! Your show will be remembered; your dignity and grace will be remembered and your hard work and dedication will be remembered. Each member put his/her heart and soul in to the performance. Because I know how much went in to our show, I know without a doubt that this was the case with all the bands at SMC. So whether or not your band made finals, hold your head high. You kiddos are great!!

From and admiring band parent/fan.

that was a very nice 2 paragraphs.

congrats to all bands who went to state!!

the state judging system is horrible.

i looked over our comment sheets and im still wondering how we didnt make finals...in all seriousness, we had pretty much no negative or bad comments. out of the 5 sheets i read, i only saw one comment about the woodwinds needing to play out.

and thats about it.

everything else was "spectacular! good job! you sounded amazing! great sound!! (etc.)"

sooo, im pretty much stumped on why we didnt make it.

me and my friends all think the judges were on some sort of hard drugs.

and putting us in the placement they put us in after one of our BEST performances ever, they MUST have been on something.

those judges should be fired. pff.

I have to say that I'm quite surprised at the results. They were extremely inconsistent. Also, how did Bowie place in the bottom 5? In my opinion, they had the best drill and were the cleanest in their drill.

Now Marcus...they were amazing, as simple as that.

Duncanville played really well, but I didn't much care for the drill.

Reagan had tons of energy in their sound.

But one thing that I find confusing is how Bell made it 2nd in finals? Honestly, what was it about their show that y'all liked? The music wasn't as good as some of the other bands, and their drill definitely wasn't as exciting. Since when did spasmic reactions from the colorgaurd gaurantee 2nd place? Something I want to ask the judges.

Now with all respect, all of the bands worked extremely hard, and I respect every one of them, it's just that I don't think that the judges did a lot of the bands justice.

i looked over our comment sheets and im still wondering how we didnt make finals...in all seriousness, we had pretty much no negative or bad comments. out of the 5 sheets i read, i only saw one comment about the woodwinds needing to play out.

and thats about it.

everything else was "spectacular! good job! you sounded amazing! great sound!! (etc.)"

and putting us in the placement they put us in after one of our BEST performances ever, they MUST have been on something.

Thats the way the money rolls. You just gotta stop complaining and get over it.

and thats about it.

There are probably more specific comments on the tapes. The comment sheets aren't gonna tell you much; that's where they're gonna put broad comments like "excellent such and such," which there would undoubtedly be, seeing as you made it to state.

It was stiff competition. You should be proud that you put on your best performance and leave it at that. There were 31 excellent bands there, who were all putting on their best game faces. Obviously the judging wasn't perfect, but ranking 31 of the best bands in one of the best states for marching arts is probably a pretty daunting task. Just be glad you were among such great company and had a chance to put on your best performance ever, because not every band in this state can say that.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...