UIL 5A Results

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy you are sharp...I had to go through those 3 scores like ten times to see that. Nice catch! Makes me wonder if UIL even knows about that yet.

edit: That INCONSISTENT 8 and 10 threw me off from the first judge. ^_^ I guess it isn't just the judges... :P

I actually didn't catch it. Saxplaya on these forums told me about it. I just wrote about it.

The tie breaking method you are using is only implemented when the normal judhes' preference technique doesn't work (which has only happened once.) Duncanville still keeps its third place position.

No, they shouldn't. Once you rescore it, like you should, you get these numbers.

Churchill- 2 1 2 2 2 = 9

Duncanville- 3 2 1 3 1= 10

Reagan- 1 3 3 1 3 = 11

This IS the normal judges' preference rule.

CONGRATULATIONS TO MARCUS! Way to go guys! I'll have to say, I still just can't imagine how wonderful it would've been to have LD Bell the State Champ and go on to win Grand Nats. That would have just been a dream come true for every marching band student across Texas! Marcus, ya'll have done such an INCREDIBLE job this year. Everyone at the state contest this year, both 3A and 5A were so deserving. Nobody should have any doubt in their minds about their band's ability, just making it to this contest is a major statement in itself. Congrats to Canton and Marcus, and props just have to be given to LD Bell as well. Thanks for giving us a contest for the ages!

P.S.

I'm going out on a limb and calling LD Bell's show is going to be one that rival's Spring's '93 performance come Grand Nats.

I think Duncanville get's it because they had two ratings of two.

if you go by the tiebreaker method, it breaks down like this:

Duncanville-10, 3, 2, 8, 2

Churchill- 8, 2, 6, 4, 5

Reagan- 2, 6, 8, 2, 7

Now from that you break it down to who is preferred out of those 3, thus:

Duncanville- 3, 2, 1, 3, 1=10

Churchill- 2, 1, 2, 2, 2=9

Reagan- 1, 3, 3, 1, 3=11

Churchill clearly wins bronze medal

I'm sure UIL is going to award a bronze to both Churchill and Duncanville now. I believe they did the same thing a few years back in the 2A or 1A marching competition. A band got announced champion, but upon inspection, the second place band received two 1's in music and a 1 in marching. Thus, THEY should've been state champs. As a result, that year there were 2 state champs.

Edit: It happened in 2003 at the 1A State Finals. Sundown and Throckmorton were announced as Co-State Champions.

IT will be interesting if anything gets changed in UIL. A few great bands suffered some poor scoring.

i think this should be the last straw for UIL, I mean the last 3 5A state contests have seen stuff like this, and this is just wrong. To basically lie to a band and have to revoke their medal (if this will even happen) is just wrong. The system NEEDS to be changed

I'm sure UIL is going to award a bronze to both Churchill and Duncanville now. I believe they did the same thing a few years back in the 2A or 1A marching competition. A band got announced champion, but upon inspection, the second place band received two 1's in music and a 1 in marching. Thus, THEY should've been state champs. As a result, that year there were 2 state champs.

Edit: It happened in 2003 at the 1A State Finals. Sundown and Throckmorton were announced as Co-State Champions.

UIL just needs to slow down and check everything multiple times by muiltple people when calculating placements...an extra minute would have eliminated this whole problem

I'm going out on a limb and calling LD Bell's show is going to be one that rival's Spring's '93 performance come Grand Nats.

I'm not detracting from your opinion (it is yours, after all), but I don't think LD Bell compares to Spring '93 for several reasons.

1. Musically, I just don't think Bell plays enough to be compared to this Spring band. I'm not saying Bell doesn't play anything...but it is not anything like what Spring did in '93.

2. Visually, Spring revolutionized the marching world with the double helix move (Gaines used it with Spring before the Cavies in '95!). LD Bell is wonderful visually, however, there is nothing that sticks out in my mind as original and innovative. They crawl around a lot...yet, that's nothing compared to the double helix move.

3. I'm going to go out on a limb myself and claim that Bell will not win nationals. This may be blasphemy to say, but too bad. I just do not get the same vibes I get from shows that have won in the past, like Westfield '03, Lassiter '02 and '98, PCEP '99, Lawrence Central '01 and '04, Spring '93, etc. Yes, the show is extremely cool/creepy, but I find it lacking in some regards. What will win Bell will be their performance, not the show (i.e. their performance > their GE).

Will I have foot in my mouth syndrome? We'll see come Saturday. It's all just speculation based on observation, anyway.

This is kind of interesting. Right off the UIL website

F. Verification Period. At the conclusion of each conference, there should be a verification period during which directors will have the opportunity to review the tabulation of the final rankings. The following procedure will be observed:

1. One representative from each school will be permitted to review the tabulation and ranking procedure.

2. If all present agree that there is no error in the tabulation process, then the results will become official and will be made public.

3. If there is a protest regarding the tabulations, the rankings will be held and a final judgement made by the State office.

4. There can be no future protest of rankings after the results are announced as official.

5. A director not present during the verification period forfeits his opportunity to protest.

so does that mean churchill is just plain screwd

if you go by the tiebreaker method, it breaks down like this:

Duncanville-10, 3, 2, 8, 2

Churchill-  8,  2, 6, 4, 5

Reagan-    2,  6, 8, 2, 7

Now from that you break it down to who is preferred out of those 3, thus:

Duncanville- 3, 2, 1, 3, 1=10

Churchill-  2, 1, 2, 2, 2=9

Reagan-    1, 3, 3, 1, 3=11

Churchill clearly wins bronze medal

From UIL website:

However, the tie can always be broken by determining which band was ranked highest by at least three judges.

In this case, Duncanville was placed highest 2 times, Churchill 1 time and Reagan 2 times. I presume they used this same tie-breaker method to settle the remaining tie between Duncanville and Reagan.

Duncanville - 2,1,1,2,1

Reagan - 1,2,2,1,2

Here you have Duncanville coming out ahead, placing highest 3 times to Reagan's 2.

I guess they started out all over again to settle the 4th place tie between Churchill & Reagan (Churchill with 3 highest, Reagan 2).

I'm not detracting from your opinion (it is yours, after all), but I don't think LD Bell compares to Spring '93 for several reasons.

1. Musically, I just don't think Bell plays enough to be compared to this Spring band. I'm not saying Bell doesn't play anything...but it is not anything like what Spring did in '93.

2. Visually, Spring revolutionized the marching world with the double helix move (Gaines used it with Spring before the Cavies in '95!). LD Bell is wonderful visually, however, there is nothing that sticks out in my mind as original and innovative. They crawl around a lot...yet, that's nothing compared to the double helix move.

3. I'm going to go out on a limb myself and claim that Bell will not win nationals. This may be blasphemy to say, but too bad. I just do not get the same vibes I get from shows that have won in the past, like Westfield '03, Lassiter '02 and '98, PCEP '99, Lawrence Central '01 and '04, Spring '93, etc. Yes, the show is extremely cool/creepy, but I find it lacking in some regards. What will win Bell will be their performance, not the show (i.e. their performance > their GE).

Will I have foot in my mouth syndrome? We'll see come Saturday. It's all just speculation based on observation, anyway.

hey get over it who are u just curious? and In my opinion i dont think u can really compare the shows.. Cuz they are some what to different in a way i guess. One deals with visuals for only marching. By this i mean they dont have body visuals like lunges and such like we have now, and the other deals with many Visuals for BOA like crawling and random scatter sets. So i think both the shows are great just it really cant compare with each other because they are completely different. Notice the year difference "93" -"06"

From UIL website:

However, the tie can always be broken by determining which band was ranked highest by at least three judges.

In this case, Duncanville was placed highest 2 times, Churchill 1 time and Reagan 2 times. I presume they used this same tie-breaker method to settle the remaining tie between Duncanville and Reagan.

Duncanville - 2,1,1,2,1

Reagan - 1,2,2,1,2

Here you have Duncanville coming out ahead, placing highest 3 times to Reagan's 2.

I guess they started out all over again to settle the 4th place tie between Churchill & Reagan (Churchill with 3 highest, Reagan 2).

Blah blah blah so many rules. I say long live the tie. If they have to go through all this crap to determine who was better, they're pretty much saying they're equal.