• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't saying that.

What I am saying is that LOUDER AND GREAT PLAYING is better than both.

Or whatever. I wasn't bashing. I was just stating what i saw watching the performances.

So, if I compared them to Mansfield, would that be fair?

Just trying to understand your logic.

What i meant was Marcus's music was at a completley different level of difficulty compared to Bell's. They both played at a very high level, but since Marcus's music was harder, they get more credit.

louder and great playing of a peice does not increase its value in comparison to a more complex arrangement that was executed at a similar [if not higher] level.

What i meant was Marcus's music was at a completley different level of difficulty compared to Bell's. They both played at a very high level, but since Marcus's music was harder, they get more credit.

If anything, I would say that Bell's arrangements were more complex. Marcus had fairly simple arrangements of straightforward, classical pieces. The kids at Marcus played the crap out of the show, but it wasn't a difficult show.

You must also consider what physical requirements are affecting the music. Bell was running around the field for most of their show (literally!). Marcus had fairly simple drill that didn't strain their musicianship.

So, it really depends on where your preference lies. Do you like the solid concert band approach that Marcus takes, or do you prefer the all-out pageant approach of Bell?

If anything, I would say that Bell's arrangements were more complex. Marcus had fairly simple arrangements of straightforward, classical pieces. The kids at Marcus played the crap out of the show, but it wasn't a difficult show.

You must also consider what physical requirements are affecting the music. Bell was running around the field for most of their show (literally!). Marcus had fairly simple drill that didn't strain their musicianship.

So, it really depends on where your preference lies. Do you like the solid concert band approach that Marcus takes, or do you prefer the all-out pageant approach of Bell?

very true, and thats why Bell's program is so successful. Even though some of their music isnt as difficult, the marching portion more than enough makes up for it.

I was refering to the music when i was speaking about Marcus, when you take into consideration the difficulty of the DRILL, thats a wholleeeee other story. sorry if that was confusing. I say Marcus's arrangement was more difficult only because they were playing as a complete ensemble for much more of their show, which musically, is much harder.

But like you said, its all about preference.