let's all just mello out... take a chill pill... relax...

I sense hostility.

*Back on topic*

I'm clueless to states below Waco, but as for north Texas, I definitely think its a close between Bell and Marcus. Last Year I had the pleasure of seeing both bands, and, to tell the truth, I couldn't say who I liked better. Yes Marcus was definitely a crowd pleaser, which btw isn't all what goes into liking a show (personally, atleast), and yes I do believe Bell had more depth in their theme. The bands took two different approaches and both came on top. Also, remember, U.I.L. is not the only standard competition bands are compared in, there are many other competitions that take a different judging style. It just goes to show that there will hardly be majority/minority when it comes to picking favorite bands.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hm. looks like alot of talk about Marcus and Bell. This is an interesting topic to read, lol.

Bell's marching program is (looking at their track record) more successful overall, but Marcus's band definatly has the better concert program. Both are great, and both are among the best. I dont think anyone can truly say one is "better" than the other, because they both shine in different ways. To label one band as the "best in texas" is pretty impossible, considering all the different ways in which a band can be great, not to mention all the other bands in Texas besides those two who are truly exceptional.

Personally, i prefer Marcus's shows to Bell's, but thats probably because my band program also marches shows that seem "boring", yet the music is much more demanding than anything Bell would play. So i would be lying if i said i werent biased. My school values musicality more than how many yards we can cover in one show, so naturally id prefer Marcus.

But hey, its just an opinion.

i'm inclined to think you're a member of a crappy band that doesn't have the education opportunities that marcus and bell have, and as a result, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Please refrain from using personal attacks on these forums.

that aside, who said i was in the band at marcus? who said i'm in any band at all? who said i go to marcus? you know, people have accused me of being a member of the phantom regiment, a group i wouldn't even dare audition for. you shouldn't jump to conclusions. for all you know, i go to ld bell. i remember making some pretty positive statements about them in my time :P

You stated that you were a member of the 2006-2007 Marcus drumline on Nov 11 2006, at 10:28 PM with this statement:

Flower Mound and Marcus both scored a 91.50, but the judges took a vote and placed Flower Mound above us.

It does appear, however, that you have graduated and/or are no longer a member of the Marcus band by your lack of knowledge of the musical pieces in this year's show.

JIKAJAZZ

i will say one thing to your temper tantrum, just because i have an opinion that you dont like or that you dont agree with gives you absolutly no right to say anything bad about any organization, cuz seeing as we already know where you go, it makes you lokk even worse.

and before you go off spouting ideas, take some consideation about who reads these forums and ill say this...

dont settle problems with bashing and arguing... settle it on the field

The problem with using UIL State Finals and BOA GN Finals in the same season as an indicator is that there was no consistent TX representation at GN until the 2000's and even then UIL State is only every other year, thus limiting the possible sample size. Another problem is that not all bands compete in both BOA and UIL and so cannot be fairly represented in this list; most notably Westfield and Duncanville on opposite sides of the spectrum.

We might be able to expand this some by also including BOA Regional top 2 placements in the same year as a UIL State Finals appearance.

1985 - San Antonio Marshall (2nd to Westfield at BOA Houston, 4th at UIL State)

1986 - Westfield (1st at BOA Conroe, 2nd to Duncanville at UIL State)

1987 - Westfield (1st at BOA Houston, 1st at UIL State)

1988 - Westfield (1st at BOA Houston, 1st at UIL State)

1989 - Klein (1st at BOA Houston, 2nd at UIL State)

1989 - Westfield (2nd at BOA Houston, 1st at UIL State)

1990 - Klein (2nd to Westfield at BOA Houston, 2nd to Duncanville at UIL State)

1992 - Westfield (1st at BOA Houston, 2nd at UIL State)

1992 - Spring (2nd at BOA Houston, 1st at UIL State)

1992 - Duncanville (1st at BOA Denton, 4th at UIL State)

1994 - Spring (1st at BOA SA, 1st at UIL State)

1994 - Westfield (2nd at BOA SA, 2nd at UIL State)

1996 - Westfield (1st at BOA Houston, 1st at UIL State)

1996 - Churchill (2nd at BOA Houston, 3rd at UIL State)

1996 - Leander (1st at BOA Denton, 4th at UIL State)

1998 - Churchill (9th BOA GN, 1st at BOA SA, 2nd at BOA Houston, 6th at UIL State) - Surprised you missed this one, Dan.

1998 - Spring (1st at BOA Houston, 2nd at UIL State)

1998 - Westfield (2nd at BOA SA, 1st at UIL State)

2000 - LD Bell (1st at BOA SA, 1st at BOA Houston, 1st at UIL State)

2000 - Churchill (2nd at BOA SA, 3rd at UIL State)

2000 - Spring (2nd at BOA Houston, 4th at UIL State)

2002 - LD Bell (2nd to SFA at BOA Houston, 1st at BOA Arlington, 2nd to Carmel at BOA SA, 2nd to Duncanville at UIL State)

2002 - The Woodlands (8th at BOA GN, 5th at UIL State) - That makes 2 that you've missed, Dan!

2002 - Churchill (10th at BOA GN, 4th at UIL State)

2004 - LD Bell (1st at BOA Arlington, 1st at UIL State)

2004 - The Woodlands (7th at BOA GN, 2nd to SFA at BOA Houston, 6th at UIL State)

2004 - Reagan (2nd at BOA Arlington, 1st at BOA SA, 8th at UIL State)

2004 - Churchill (1st at BOA La Joya, 2nd at BOA SA, 5th at UIL State)

2006 - LD Bell (2nd to Broken Arrow at BOA GN, 1st at BOA Arlington, 1st at BOA SA, 2nd to Marcus at UIL State)

2006 - Churchill (10th at BOA GN, 3rd (tie with Duncanville) at UIL State)

2006 - James Bowie (12th at BOA GN, 8th at UIL State)

2006 - Reagan (1st at BOA Houston, 5th at UIL State)

That puts Westfield on the list 8 times, but all from 1998 or before;

Churchill 6 times, all since 1996;

and LD Bell 4 times, all since 2000.

Edit: Forgot about Churchill's 1st place at BOA La Joya in 2004.

man these numbers go wayy deep. good post.

if i remember correctly, in 2004 Churchill placed 1st at UIL State prelims. i know we usually go by finals placements, but i reckon that 1st in prelims is still pretty darn good.