Leander used to be a good band. We've had some trouble coming back from some problems, but I think we're starting to do it. The people we lost out to for state were great bands, and the people we beat (I just remember Round Rock because y'all we're sitting right behind us) were great as well.

I can say we've had 2 decades of getting 1s at UIL though, that has to count for something right? Especially with my freshman year show (Corners of the Mind aka Sensemaya), I can't believe we got the ones.

Hehe, the best Drum Major salute that I've seen is Round Rock...love the capes!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on whether we're talking who won the last contest (this year) or which bands have been the most succesful in the last 30+ years in Texas.  Maintaining a tradition of excellence is much more difficult than having the best band "today".  The names are the directors generally most recognized with those schools and commited themselves to many, many years of service to those band programs.  Although most are retired now, they represent many of the finest band directrors in the history of Texas. 

Permian High School, Odessa  (J.R. McIntyre, Charles Nail)

Longview High School  (Pete Kunkel)

Westlake High School (Lee Boyd Montgomery)

Monahans High School (Dan Gibbs)

Pearland High School (Jack Farris)

Duncanville HIgh School (Tom Shine)

Lake Highlands High School (Eddie Green)

Van High School (Kenneth Griffin)

Nederland HIgh School (Blanton McDonald, Val Rose)

Alice High School (Bryce Taylor)

Georgetown HIgh School (Rodney Klett)

Paris High School (Floyd Weger)

Lee HS in Midland (Van Ragsdale, Randy Storie)

L.D. Bell (Roger Winslow)

etc...etc....etc...

Wow...talk about old school, lol.

Leander really should be on this list though. I've had aunts and uncles that were in the Georgetown band 15-25 years ago and they would always talk about how year after year Georgetown and Leander would sort of "switch off" for the title of 4A Area as well as 4A State champion. Leander would pull out the Area title with Gtown as runner-up but then Georgetown would would win State with Leander nipping at its heels; and vice-versa the following year.

It went this way for many years, but Texas gets bigger and more schools get built.....old legends (band directors) retire or die and new trends take over. By the mid-90s both schools had entered and disappeared into the massive sea of 5A schools. Rodney Klett stopped directing Gtown's marching band around '95 or so and Cedar Park was built in '98 which, in addition to other changes, virtually cut Leander's power in half....these changes heavily curbed each school's stopping power in their ability to remain competitive in the rapidly growing pool of 5A schools in Texas.

[/ History Lesson]

The schools are changing though. I know Leander's been undergoing heavy changes in its program recently, and it is the same for Georgetown as well. In the past 5 years alone Georgetown has:

- upgraded its Euphonium section from Yamaha concert Euphoniums to King bell-fronts

- swapped out its concert French Horns for silver plated Mellophones (up until 2002, Georgetown used concert Euphoniums and French Horns on the field)

- purchased more "modern" looking uniforms

- upgraded its weekly rehearsal schedule from 4 hours to 6-8 hours (just under the 8-hour rule...we actually went to 5A State in 2000 using only half of the 8-hour rule)

- expanded its pit section, and purchased its first sound system

- entered BOA for the first time in 2005

- hired the brass caption head for PR into its staff lineup

- hired Tyler Dempsey for percussion arrangement, who truly makes Georgetown's pit and drumline shine.

I forsee both of these schools jumping back into the fray within the next 3 or 4 years. It's going to be something worth watching for sure.

We did used to be a power school, but as you put, we got lost. Add that to 2 and soon to be three "new" highschools in the district, all of which have or are going to pull from us, and the relatively new director change...we havent done too bad. Slowly but surely we're making our way back up, but its an uphill battle. Im sure we're not the only school, either. There are probably alot of schools in a similar situation...

As far as concert band I would say you already are one. Your marching band has been very consistent too

I agree about concert band. The tape I heard of your top band at Area last summer was extemely well done. Unfortunately, the Area itself was full of other powerhouse bands, such as Duncanville, Haltom, Coppell, and to a certain extent Richland, so Martin was often overlooked. I bet we'll begin to see some tapes from Martin at the State Honor Band level now due to the new Area alignment.

I believe you are thinking of Marcus

I believe I'm thinking of Martin HS, the '04 and '05 Lonestar Standstill champions.

Marcus ranks up there as well.....and could just as easily claim the same title as best-in-state, but the subject was Martin and I was talking about Martin, so the point stands.

• 2 months later...
Haha, I like how the general consensus is "A lot."

But, really, yea it's true. Texas has a HUGE array of extremely talented bands. Throw in the BOA vs. UIL argument and you have two completely different styles of bands. Duncanville with their extreme UILness, but undoubtedly one of the best playing bands in the nation. Marcus with their crazy props of crabs and fish and other odd sea creatures. Just too many to name.

I like that too. It's really true. You can't just come in and ask which bands are good. A spitload of bands are good. You could at least have the decency to ask for 5As, 4As, or 3As that are good. Haha.

And my band director's brother goes to Marcus. I loved their show last year.

But anyway... I think CHS is personally one of the best. ^_^

Hah, conceited much??

Honestly, CHS isn't one of THE best yet, but I can gaurantee that we have the POTENTIAL to get there.

I would hafta say (based on this years shows that I saw and liked) would be Marcus (easily, i love that show!! and the birds last year... that was great)

LD Bell (of course, you can't forget legends like that.)

Hebron (but that's based only on this years show, it was sooooo cool, but they have a lof of work to do if they really wanna start competiting in 5A like they did in 4A)

Poteet (the 4A legend... blegh.)

and I've started to like bands like the Woodlands as well. I'm not really BOA savy, so hopefully i'll find out who a lot of these other bands are when we compete more.