Etiquette at competition

My band attended the Westlake Marching Festival yesterday and while we were being announced to compete in Finals, a band decided to laugh at our show theme. Then, when our solo rifle dropped at the end of the third movement, they laughed again. I'm wondering what rules are like in different programs so I can get an idea of this happening again or not.

Thanks.

This isn't really related but... OH MY GOODNESS YOUR LOW BRASS SECTION OWNS! The bass trombone and tuba solos were seriously awesome.

With our band, we stand at set the whole time that results are announced, and don't cheer until after it is completely over and done with. We don't usually watch other bands preform, so the ettiquite is a little more hazy there. We try to stay pretty quiet and watch the show.

My band attended the Westlake Marching Festival yesterday and while we were being announced to compete in Finals, a band decided to laugh at our show theme.  Then, when our solo rifle dropped at the end of the third movement, they laughed again.  I'm wondering what rules are like in different programs so I can get an idea of this happening again or not.

Thanks.

Laughing at another band could get you kicked out.

But I don't know for sure because no one's ever laughed, that's just an assumption.

Also, what's your show's theme?

This isn't really related but... OH MY GOODNESS YOUR LOW BRASS SECTION OWNS! The bass trombone and tuba solos were seriously awesome.

With our band, we stand at set the whole time that results are announced, and don't cheer until after it is completely over and done with. We don't usually watch other bands preform, so the ettiquite is a little more hazy there. We try to stay pretty quiet and watch the show.

Thanks! The bass trombone is my friend Johnny Welch and the tuba soloist is me. :)

Oh! I read a review about your show! I thought the concept was really cool and unique, and I'm hoping perhaps somehow I'll get to see it. I'm sure the director felt stupid after realizing the drop was on purpose. :P

Spring's pretty respectful, I think. The directors don't drill us on having to show respect for other bands, I think it's just something we all know. I hate bands/bds who don't show respect. That just shows how unclassy they and their band truly are.

Our theme is Ourspace.com: A Symphonic Blog.

I remember seeing you guys in the stands; my band was sitting on the other side of the steps. I never got to see your show when we went to BOA Arlington, but from the review I heard good things. I'm anticipating being able to see it sometime this season. :)

As for band etiquette, our band is not allowed to cheer when our name is called for participation, just clap. And if we do cheer, it's for making finals. Even then, the cheering is not supposed to be screaming at all.

While bands are performing, we are expected to be silent, and any talking has to be about half a whisper if we don't want a director catching it. At least that's how I see it. We are also allowed to clap at the end of the show/songs/solos like a regular audience.

well im sure some of u witnessed the wrath of Westfield's Etiquette at competitions

basically we can't really do much of anything....can't speak to other bands, can't move at "break ranks" until we are dismissed, can't talk to other bands while waiting for retreat to start, can't do much. But all that comes along with self-discipline i guess. I know it seems kinda rude but that's just how things go. We get the worse of it 2. I couldn't pee until after retreat...and my urges began before our finals performance...so imagine going thru that.

Our band doesn't have to be told that we should be respectful to other bands, it's just understood. Our members also know that almost all of us aren't just at a competition for an award, but also there to support every other band competing. When we're at any contest, we must stay in the stands as a whole and not leave under any circumstances. Besides, by the time we make it back to the stands after performing, it's almost time to wait for ratings to be announced, so we're not allowed to leave the stands under any circumstances. We're also put at attention while scores are being announced, and we are only allowed to celebrate after we're dismissed from the stands. But I think it's safe to say that anyone in any band where everyone just has an understood level of respect for those around you is very comforting as well as something to take pride in!

As to HashBrownJM's situation at the Westlake competition, that's really tacky that the other band acted that way towards ya'll. While your show's theme is really creative and unique, it is in no way something deserving of ridicule.

My band attended the Westlake Marching Festival yesterday and while we were being announced to compete in Finals, a band decided to laugh at our show theme.  Then, when our solo rifle dropped at the end of the third movement, they laughed again.  I'm wondering what rules are like in different programs so I can get an idea of this happening again or not.

Thanks.

OMG i loved yalls show it was sooo friggen awesome.

Umm our band doesnt really have any stuff, our director just says not to misbehave, destroy anything, and be respectful.

i think its wrong that someone would make fun of any aspect of your show. and about the rifle thing, thats just stupid why make fun of a mistake everyone does em. which band was laughing????

I liked that whenever Leander got onto the field for 5A Prelims yesterday at the WHS Festival, i think it was Vista Ridge maybe? That screamed " WE LOVE YOU LEANDER" or something i thought that was so awesome.

Our directors just tell us to be respectful, don't talk while other bands are performing- the basics. It's really rude of that band to laugh at your band for any reason, unless there was some sort of cute/funny body move or something.

We're allowed to cheer all we want if we make finals or something, and we definately do that.

We are told to be quiet during performances but since our directors are usually all sitting together at the very front its the upperclassmens job to keep others from talking. We are called to attention during results announcements and thus, aren't aloud to cheer or applaud until we are called back to parade rest and dismissed.

we just follow normal audience etiquette and cheer for things we think deserve it. (i.e. solos, cool visual features, etc.) and we usually cheer for bands after their performances. well at least thats me and the people i usually sit with. we usually only go crazy over big things like making finals at a BOA event or getting top three at other competitions. i know at ToC we went insane when we were announced 1st place. none of us expected it.

we just follow normal audience etiquette and cheer for things we think deserve it. (i.e. solos, cool visual features, etc.) and we usually cheer for bands after their performances. well at least thats me and the people i usually sit with. we usually only go crazy over big things like making finals at a BOA event or getting top three at other competitions...

It's the same here. Simple Sense really. :blink:

But I feel the need to share something.

It happened at Woodlands/Lonestar(whatever you want to call it) Saturday.

Finals:Drumline broke and we were going to our opening set.

I, not being able to look over my bass, tripped over a flag and I heard ALOT of people laugh on the visiting side (were the bands sit) when I slammed into the ground. :angry:

The laughing honestly hurt more then the fall did. But it did make me fuming and I marched a pretty darn good show. :P

I just keep thinking: What if I really was hurt? Would they still have been laughing?

I think that is rude but I know the directors can't stop that. Next time you see something like that, just think the person that is falling is you. Then wonder how funny it actually is.

On a lighter note:

I liked that whenever Leander got onto the field for 5A Prelims yesterday at the WHS Festival, i think it was Vista Ridge maybe? That screamed " WE LOVE YOU LEANDER" or something i thought that was so awesome.

Something like that happened at Westlake. A band was on the field(for the life of me I do not remember which band) and the announcer had asked "Is the band ready?" and someone in the crowd yelled "THEY ARE ALWAYS READY!"

I found that amusingly funny. :lol:

I, not being able to look over my bass, tripped over a flag and I heard ALOT of people laugh on the visiting side (were the bands sit) when I slammed into the ground.  :angry:

The laughing honestly hurt more then the fall did. But it did make me fuming and I marched a pretty darn good show.  :P

I just keep thinking: What if I really was hurt? Would they still have been laughing?

On a lighter note:

Something like that happened at Westlake. A band was on the field(for the life of me I do not remember which band) and the announcer had asked "Is the band ready?" and someone in the crowd yelled "THEY ARE ALWAYS READY!"

I found that amusingly funny. :lol:

Laughing = :(

The "is your band ready thing"

I almost want someone to do that for most bands... its a pretty good idea though it can break focus

I, not being able to look over my bass, tripped over a flag and I heard ALOT of people laugh on the visiting side (were the bands sit) when I slammed into the ground. :angry:

The laughing honestly hurt more then the fall did. But it did make me fuming and I marched a pretty darn good show. :P

geez man, that's rough. :(

spring didn't watch a single show that day on either side of the stadium. if i was there, i would've told them what's up.

besides, it's not like it was really your fault. that flag could have just been in the total wrong place. it's not as bad as falling over an idiot freshman trumpet player and dominoing the three people around you at a football game (that's happened to me.)

but hey, bonus points for recovery. ;)

ya also on this topic while in the stands at region this past weekend I noticed alot of bad parent/audience etiquette, these 2 ladies behind me were yapping like no other during all the bands but theirs so ya anyways my point is, do any of your bd's talk about etiquette with parents? I know Watson did at Richland when I was there

ya also on this topic while in the stands at region this past weekend I noticed alot of bad parent/audience etiquette, these 2 ladies behind me were yapping like no other during all the bands but theirs so ya anyways my point is, do any of your bd's talk about etiquette with parents? I know Watson did at Richland when I was there

Wow. Now that is rude.

Band parents should be an example.

I don't think they should need a talk, but from the looks of it they do.

I was at westlake marching festival. I go to bowie.

I heard the band that laughed at your show theme. I thought it was interesting, and i was unsure at first, but i really liked it.

Bowie's Etiquette is stand during Finals announcements, and we aren't supposed to cheer till all the annoucements have been made, but we got kinda excited when Cedar Park was 2nd and we were first.

During a band's performance, we aren't supposed to make any negative comments about the show. If a solo is really good (which the ones' in your show were) we can say so to our neighbor and such.

I was at westlake marching festival. I go to bowie.

I heard the band that laughed at your show theme. I thought it was interesting, and i was unsure at first, but i really liked it.

Bowie's Etiquette is stand during Finals announcements, and we aren't supposed to cheer till all the annoucements have been made, but we got kinda excited when Cedar Park was 2nd and we were first.

During a band's performance, we aren't supposed to make any negative comments about the show. If a solo is really good (which the ones' in your show were) we can say so to our neighbor and such.

Yeah, CP was kinda :( at that cause we were right next to your band. We didn't mind the cheering... it was just like... we're right here!

There were a few giggles among my band at Connally's show theme, but I think it was mostly at the AIM noises at the beginning... It was more "whoa... AIM theme?" giggles than "oh, it's gonna suck" giggles. All of my band spoke very complimentarily about Connally's show, especially the soloists.