UIL Area D 6A

ReveriesOp24

From what I have heard bowie has a breathtaking show. The story telling is truly like no other on how it displays the shapes and feelings of the heart. The musical arrangements are truly spectacular including new pieces by Kevin Shah and classics like dust in the wind. The work that has been put in since Katy is completely breathtaking. The show that will be put on today will be marvelous (NOT from Bowie) (( Probably from Churchill) 

30 minutes ago, TenerSacs said:

Bruh what? 

Have you seen Bowies recent performances? The way they capture true emotion and feeling draws tears to my eyes. They level of professionalism they put into what they play and march is truly breath taking. Think twice abt what you say on the internet

(From Winston Churchill) (( Not from bowie))

57 minutes ago, ChurchillAssociate said:

From what I have heard bowie has a breathtaking show. The story telling is truly like no other on how it displays the shapes and feelings of the heart. The musical arrangements are truly spectacular including new pieces by Kevin Shah and classics like dust in the wind. The work that has been put in since Katy is completely breathtaking. The show that will be put on today will be marvelous (NOT from Bowie) (( Probably from Churchill) 

this kinda reads like an advertisement lmao

5 minutes ago, ChurchillAssociate said:

Have you seen Bowies recent performances? The way they capture true emotion and feeling draws tears to my eyes. They level of professionalism they put into what they play and march is truly breath taking. Think twice abt what you say on the internet

(From Winston Churchill) (( Not from bowie))

Just to be clear...(from Churchill) and ((not from Bowie)) ?

7 minutes ago, TenerSacs said:

Reagan is NEISD 

Yes, but Cedar Ridge, Round Rock, McNeil and Westwood are all RRISD, which makes the total of RRISD bands in that list 4.

I should also clarify I'm not like 100% confident in my prediction, I missed a few group that I'd consider state finalist potentials. I'm just going off of what I have seen today. 

12 hours ago, ChurchillAssociate said:

I may have overhyped Churchill…..regardless, they had a really solid run in finals and McNeil didn’t beat us by much at all. It was a super competitive area and super fun to watch. 

2 hours ago, BandFan95 said:

For those that were there, can someone explain what happened with Cedar Ridge?

Way to go Westwood!

Cedar Ridge had two judges that didn't like them.  One music judge had them at 7th and one visual judge had them at 9th.  On the flip side they had another put them at 2nd.  

Honestly, there were only three bands that got consistent ordinals from the judges: Reagan (1st), McNeil (9th), and Churchill (10th).  So I chalk up 2nd-8th as being pretty close together to create wild fluctuations.

McNeil was a bit of a surprise to me though.  They beat Dripping Springs by 1 place last week at TMC but this week there was big separation between the two. They beat Moe & Gene Johnson by 4 places at TMC but this week Johnson lapped them. Last week their music scores tied Round Rock in the prelims and this week there was even bigger separation between the two. 

This area is so competitive. Last year 4 of 5 were state finalist with the 5th barely missing finals (17th, i believe?).

I loved all the bands that performed at finals last night from Reagan to Churchill. It's unfortunate we can only send 5. I think we could have sent more (if not all of them) that would still have competed well at state. 

Congratulations to Reagan, Round Rock, CTJ, Westwood and Dripping Springs! They were stellar last night! They will be represnting our area well! All the best to them in state.

Good luck on the rest of the season for everyone!

1 minute ago, Miyazuu said:

Congratulations to all state qualifiers! 

On a side note, which I meant to post during finals but alas...

To Westwood parents (and all parents really): there needs to be some internal discussion regarding etiquette in the stands. Your excitement for your bands entrance is admirable, it's great to see such support for a program. Although, your attitude towards another band during their performance is distasteful. I've already been frustrated with general bad audience etiquette across all of the contests I've been to so far this season, but I feel like laughing at color guard drops in a show is kinda a new low. While a few don't define a nation, a general re-emphasis in audience etiquette would be best going forward. 

I don't know what's in the air this year but with every competition I find myself wanting to leave after being in the stands with parents for awhile. WW is an egregious example but it's been embarrassingly bad all around with parents this season.

Wow! This doesn’t sound like the Westwood band parents that I used to sit with. But it also has been two years for me since I did that. I will pass this info along to their directors and ensure that it gets addressed

2 minutes ago, BandFan95 said:

Wow! This doesn’t sound like the Westwood band parents that I used to sit with. But it also has been two years for me since I did that. I will pass this info along to their directors and ensure that it gets addressed

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate it. 

I was shocked and disappointed to see it was WW parents when I turned my head :( I'm really not sure what's up with parents everywhere this season? I hope the audience at finals and BOA SA will be enjoyable :")

20 minutes ago, BandFan95 said:

Yeah, I am not a fan of lumping all parents from a particular band together with a few parents someone sat next to.  Yes, there may be some new parents who aren't familiar with the contest etiquette.  But lets not disparage the entire band because of a tiny few.

Btw, does Westwood still plan on attending St. Louis since they made State?

St. Louis > State > BOA SA back to back feels a bit intense. I recall RRs State > BOA SA > Nats saga resulted in minor injuries and general fatigue throughout the band. I certainly hope the kids are allowed to rest when they can, no break between St. Louis and State seems killer.