Overlooked shows

What shows do you really love, but feel like we never talk about them? Which shows don't receive quite the adoration that you feel that they deserve?

For me, one show is Westfield 2005--Wake From Your Sleep. I really enjoyed this show. It had all kinds of neat stuff ...high velocity, difficult drill, nice woodwind runs, an interesting concept, a gorgeous flute solo, and an absolutely stellar drumline. The show was very intense, but the choreography and interesting music choices kept it very audience friendly. The run around and fall-down ending while the drumline just plays more and more intensely is very entertaining. This show is a gem.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cedar Park '02

This was their first year in 5A. They were doing well until the 2002 Area D controversy (that in some weird twisted way help to revamp UIL systems). After that, they went to the Duncanville Marching Invitational and gave a show of their lives (at least for the season). They played Barbers's Concerto Violin and Orchestra. Lots of WW technique and loud brass, nice oboe soloist, drumline that smokes. It is in the media section of this website. I encourage all to listen to it--it will make you cry.

Every Duncanville show ever!!!! j/k

This is a very dangerous topic in that it really strongly tempts people to self-hype their band. Let's all please try to stay away from that sin and remember that the it always brings more tears than joy.

Ok, now that the ugly stuff is out of the way:

Richland 1998 - The Music of Respighi - 5th Place UIL State - The music in this show was just absolutely awesome and extremely well played. Strong low brass, amazing high brass and woodwind technique, great open hits; this show had it all from a musical perspective. Unfortunately, the drill was pretty dirty, but overall it was still a great show and was the height of Richland's power before Birdville HS opened and knocked them down to 4A.

Westfield 1998 - Leonard Bernstein's Mass - 1st Place UIL State - A lot of people didn't really care for this show because it was more light hearted than most other Westfield shows, but I thought it was a really fun show that not only showed a different side of Westfield, but also does a really good job of bringing forth all the different points of view and styles that Leonard Bernstein (obviously not Catholic) described in his Catholic Mass.

My freshmen year, Pearland 2002. X-men. Loved it.

I really liked y'alls drill, dance break, and changing baldric's that year.

I don't really have extensive reviews, but I really like LD Bell 2002 and 2003. Everyone I've talked to at my school thinks I'm insane for liking these shows and I don't understand why. Binary Systems is #5 on my top played list on iTunes...

IDK if those shows would count as overlooked per se, but they certainly are where I live.

QUOTE (actualgirltrombone @ Aug 19 2006, 04:18 PM)
I don't really have extensive reviews, but I really like LD Bell 2002 and 2003. Everyone I've talked to at my school thinks I'm insane for liking these shows and I don't understand why. Binary Systems is #8 on my top played list on iTunes...

IDK if those shows would count as overlooked per se, but they certainly are where I live.

Amen on L.D. Bell 2002.

I still can't believe Carmel won the San Antonio Regional that year. Great visual design but their music performance was horrible.

I am quite partial to Harlingen 2004 and Roma 2003. I am sure most of you don't know about these shows, but Harlingen 2004 placed 15th, I believe, at state, and Roma 2003 placed 4th in 4A state.

As far as shows that more people will know about, I like Haltom, LD Bell, and Churchill from 2004; LD Bell and Westfield from 2003; and Duncanville....1991 I believe.

Man, now that I think about it, there are A LOT of other shows that are overlooked...

I agree with that to some degree, but consider this...

As a program becomes more developed, well-known, and more successful, they become a target for other people. It becomes other bands' goal to beat them. Being the 2004 State runner-up already gave Cedar Park some HUGE expectations for the 2005 marching season. To have things that happened last year, it becomes a form of humliation to have a season like last year for Cedar Park. That's why I say to just leave it alone.

Yeah, I agree...I would probably laugh about it if it was my band during my freshman year. If something were to happen now, I would take it harshly because our band has become a target down here. It's all for the sake of pride. And come on...show some repect for one of the best programs in the state! :D

I don't really have extensive reviews, but I really like LD Bell 2002 and 2003. Everyone I've talked to at my school thinks I'm insane for liking these shows and I don't understand why. Binary Systems is #5 on my top played list on iTunes...

Bell 03 is awesome...one of my favorites, as well as 05...but i cant list my top 10 right now...lol it would be too hard, but reagan 03 is #1 for me and then 05 and then some SFA and bell and richland and churchill lol