what do you think of certain things in shows

well, since marching 5A state is upon us, and we are preparing ourseves, what kinda of ideas do you want to see incoperated into your shows? what types of themes do you have or want to do? what do you not like to see in shows? oh and don't worry, i doubt people r going to steal your ideas (although it is known to happen but this is not my intention)

what do people think of singing/chanting in their show?

ya, last year i think it was richland or haltom (i could be wrong but those are the two schools that came to mind) they had micked singing with two girls. i thought that was a horrible idea. but that's just me lol

Richland create probably the most chilling effect OF THE YEAR by amplifying those two girls during Sleep. I saw that show four times last year and I got goosebumps during the climax of that song every single time.

I think singing can be great and add a beautiful effect in a how. For example, I loved the way Richland used the two singers this year during "Sleep" it was awesome. There was also some background singing in Westfield 03's show...I thought that was also very cool so I'm always up for it as long as they don't overdo it

Richland create probably the most chilling effect OF THE YEAR by amplifying those two girls during Sleep.  I saw that show four times last year and I got goosebumps during the climax of that song every single time.

I agree, it was very tastefully and effectively done.

In marching shows... I like jazz running and insane visuals. Plus, the usual fast tempos, intense music, and loud powerful hits. I also like screaming high trumpet features, difficult techincal lines that incorporate every section, and hardcore (but not too lengthy) drum breaks. Diamond cutters, follow boxes, conveyor belts and yet more jazz running come to mind... Cool effects that utilize sudden color change (exposing different parts of the uniform, using perhaps a sheet or tarp, but sparingly), hard hitting slow movements, cluster chords, violent ostinatos/ sharp rythmic motifs, and ever more fast tempos.

I agree, it was very tastefully and effectively done.

In marching shows... I like jazz running and insane visuals. Plus, the usual fast tempos, intense music, and loud powerful hits. I also like screaming high trumpet features, difficult techincal lines that incorporate every section, and hardcore (but not too lengthy) drum breaks. Diamond cutters, follow boxes, conveyor belts and yet more jazz running come to mind... Cool effects that utilize sudden color change (exposing different parts of the uniform, using perhaps a sheet or tarp, but sparingly), hard hitting slow movements, cluster chords, violent ostinatos/ sharp rythmic motifs, and ever more fast tempos.

who doesnt ^_^ i love visuals and the different effects some drills create a show isnt as interesting unless it has something visually awesome.

what do you consider visually awesome effects? lol

how the heck do i know? if youve seen me post around the forum you'd know that i dont really make sense in my post.

i meant the different visuals people use that make the show look cool or just like the drills that have those effects that make you say like woh. i got really liked bell 02 for theyre marching that circle thingy was awesome

• 2 months later...

An awesome visual component in a show would be to have triplets begin in the lower range of instruments, then add on higher and higher, then a pause, and a loud "power chord" as we call them.

Another cool effect is having the whole band facing either the left or the right and in one hit their heads snap to the front with huge eyes. From the stands, this is a creepy/unexpected visual that is actually very nice to see.

I personally don't mind singing or chanting in a show as long as it doesn't get in the way of the music or overall concept. I tend to not like those shows that have stupid dialogue that has to feed you cheesy narration so that the audience can actually figure out what your show's theme/story is. This isn't always the case with me though. One year Richland opened a show where the narrator was depicted life of a child quickly growing up to an adult. I didn't mind that much, but the narration was in the beginning of the show though. I also don't mind props. I like my props in moderation, though. More than anthing though, I love a show with some crazy drill spots that are marched cleanly with some cool, flasy GE spots as well. If a band can give me some cool drill off and on throughout the show, and give the audience some really sweet GE, I won't complain about props or voices whatsoever! :D

EDIT:

I just realized that this article is a few months old. All I read was the initial thread post, and the one above mine, which was only a few days old. Sorry :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...