UIL 4A Area B Marching Contest 2023

PXwhyBand

Date of Contest: 10/21/2023

Draw Order: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11UWNj06Y1kudekjrZA1jNh8QdGdhtlid/edit#gid=1020313781 

As of 10/7/2023, it is not clear which bands will be making it to area, but based on past years it should be around 23-27 bands attending, meaning 10 finalists and 4 to 5 state qualifiers.

My current finals prediction:

1. Anna

2. Celina

3. Kaufman

4. Canton

5. Panther Creek

6. Farmersville

7. Sunnyvale

8. Community

9. Wills Point

10. Van Alstyne

10 hours ago, PXwhyBand said:

Date of Contest: 10/21/2023

Draw Order: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11UWNj06Y1kudekjrZA1jNh8QdGdhtlid/edit#gid=1020313781 

As of 10/7/2023, it is not clear which bands will be making it to area, but based on past years it should be around 23-27 bands attending, meaning 10 finalists and 4 to 5 state qualifiers.

My current finals prediction:

1. Anna

2. Celina

3. Kaufman

4. Canton

5. Panther Creek

6. Farmersville

7. Sunnyvale

8. Community

9. Wills Point

10. Van Alstyne

To shake things up a bit, Panther Creek beat Anna by several spots at Denton yesterday. 

2 hours ago, MrsE said:

To shake things up a bit, Panther Creek beat Anna by several spots at Denton yesterday. 

That's really interesting. It seems like Canton, Celina, Panther Creek, and Anna are all neck and neck. It could be anyone's game. 

Kaufman has a good show this year, but I think they are just below the top schools right now. Farmersville and Community are about neck and neck this year. They both sound about the same and march as well as each other. I've seen Sunnyvale's show this year too and I think it's really neat and that they have the potential to do really well, but right now are about the same as Community and Farmersville. Van Alstyne is actually doing quite good this year, and I have yet to see Wills Point, but based on what I've heard, they should in finals but not at the top.

My predictions 

1. Anna - making consistent progress and seem to be doing really well at all their comps.

2. Celina - neck and neck to Anna but lately have seemed to peak in terms of skill they are the only band in my opinion that could take the spot from Anna

3. Panther creek - beat Anna and other good marching bands however they could go either way seeming as they are new I can't really set them top 2 however I can see them possibly placing in those top 2 spots

4. Canton - loud band but not as refined as Anna and celina however their spot in top 5 is set stone for the most part 

5. Kaufman - haven't been outstanding and seem to be progressing at a slower pace but I would say they have their spot set in the top 5

6. Farmersville - haven't made much progress and haven't been able to out perform other 4a band who are in the top 5 running

7. Community - consistently alongside farmersville high in terms of placing in their competitions

8. Sunnyvale - (I haven't seen their show) from what I've heard are around the same as farmersville and community so they could be either 6th or 7th interchangeably.

9. Wills point 

10. Van alstynne 

On 10/11/2023 at 9:28 PM, deank10 said:

Van Alstynne might be above WP this year, and sunnyvale has been making great progress, everyone I've talked to has sunnyvale in finals for the first time in a hot minute. Farmersville is pretty even to community but they're more refined

Farmersville had an impressive showing at Royse City today. I still think it will be Celina/Anna in 1st or 2nd, followed by Canton. Fourth place is definitely up for grabs. Panther creek might even beat out Canton or could even take the top spot.  It will be interesting!

19 minutes ago, deank10 said:

Do you happen to know where they are from? Haven’t heard of any of them

I had the same thought. I recognize most of the 2a and 3a judges but I dont know most of these guys. Dolkos is the only name I know. He’s retired from Weatherford. I think Ross Bothman is supposed to be Ross Boothman. He’s a former TMEA president. 

5 minutes ago, Tx_bands08 said:

What do we think about Krum's Show? Do you think they're going to make state?

Last year they had a phenomenal show but crumbled due to tuning issues in the bad weather. This year if they can overcome that issue they could very well place in the top 5 spots and achieve the state status. I haven't seen their show this year but if it is anything like last year's they very well could make it.

2 hours ago, Sonja said:

Do we think that Farmersville has the potential to go to state? They beat Kaufman at Royse City on Saturday. 

I heard they only did well because they had an extremely good run. If they dont get another one of those I think it would be safe to assume they will not go go state

34 minutes ago, PXwhyBand said:

I heard they only did well because they had an extremely good run. If they dont get another one of those I think it would be safe to assume they will not go go state

Agreed. I think with the addition of Panther Creek this area is just as tight as it was with Argyle and Melissa. 

Celina, Anna, Panther Creek, and Canton are my predictions for advancement. I think Kaufman, Krum, and Farmersville with definitely make finals.