Southwind 06

Southwind will need a full hornline to make this sound well. This sounds a lot like their 2005 show and it wasn't exactly the best sound on the field. Guidry's stuff is a little hard for me to swallow in terms of a Drum Corps setting.

QUOTE (Danpod @ May 10 2006, 03:48 PM)
Southwind will need a full hornline to make this sound well.  This sounds a lot like their 2005 show and it wasn't exactly the best sound on the field.  Guidry's stuff is a little hard for me to swallow in terms of a Drum Corps setting.

Aaron Guidry has never arranged for Southwind. Steve Vento, Broken Arrow Director, is their music arranger. wink.gif

I've been a big fan of Southwind's show designs as of late. But, as stated on another board, they have top 12 show designs with less than top 12 execution (stating the obvious I suppose). I really enjoyed seeing their 05 product on tour and am looking forward to what sounds like a very interesting show/concept! GL to them!

I've been a big fan of Southwind's show designs as of late. But, as stated on another board, they have top 12 show designs with less than top 12 execution (stating the obvious I suppose).

I'm assuming you're refering to Jared's post on dcp... I disagree.

The show was designed pretty well, but not like Spirit, or Glassmen, or even Crossmen or Colts. It was a brilliant concept, but I'm not so quick to blame Southwinds never making finals because of performance.

I really really loved last year... it's probably the most played on my dvd player out of any other show from last year. This year sounds REALLY good, and I can not wait. The whole dark pants/light pants thing has been used before (Sky Ryders 87,) and I'm anxious to see how it works for them.

-C

I'm assuming you're refering to Jared's post on dcp... I disagree.

The show was designed pretty well, but not like Spirit, or Glassmen, or even Crossmen or Colts. It was a brilliant concept, but I'm not so quick to blame Southwinds never making finals because of performance.

Yes. I am indeed referring to Jared's post :) (Random side note. There are talks of us being seat partners this summer :P )

If you don't blame their performance level for their not making finals, what is to blame? Better design from the corps ahead of them or just a higher level of execution from the aforementioned corps? Honest question :)

I've been delving into the recordings from previous years on Southwind's website and man, they had some smoking hornlines. Most of the recordings on the site are standstills, in which I would rate them a top 8, dare I say top 6 hornline...standing still (my most recent listen was to the '01 ballad and closer. Great music. LOVE the '00 ballad, and show for that matter...mm).

Anyhow, most definitely looking forward to another extremely enjoyable show from SW. Hope it brings them the success I would love to see.

Yes. I am indeed referring to Jared's post :) (Random side note. There are talks of us being seat partners this summer :P )

If you don't blame their performance level for their not making finals, what is to blame? Better design from the corps ahead of them or just a higher level of execution from the aforementioned corps? Honest question :)

I've been delving into the recordings from previous years on Southwind's website and man, they had some smoking hornlines. Most of the recordings on the site are standstills, in which I would rate them a top 8, dare I say top 6 hornline...standing still (my most recent listen was to the '01 ballad and closer. Great music. LOVE the '00 ballad, and show for that matter...mm).

Anyhow, most definitely looking forward to another extremely enjoyable show from SW. Hope it brings them the success I would love to see.

well... I'd agree that Southwind had one of the best designs in the 13-24 range last year, easy. I also strongly believe that if they had a full brassline (instead of around 54) They would have had a much higher brass score. The drill was executed pretty well, also.

Corps such as the Colts and Crossmen (I dont really know about CR... I sort of think SW should have beaten them) were simply better than them. Some of this could have been contributed to relative size of Southwind (they weren't even close to a full corps) and the other corps (Colts, Crossmen and CR all had around full corps.)

Not saying size has a lot to do with it... but if you have a larger brassline, it's easier to hide mistakes. The same can't be said abotu drumlines, but SW's drumline was pretty sweet this year.

So yes, They were outperformed, and while they had a great design, I dont really think it was of finalist caliber THIS YEAR.

Also, a sidenote, This was easily the best design SW has ever seen. The design blatently kept Southwind out of finals in 2000... I do believe there brass, indeed, got 8th in semis.

-C