• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand where you are coming from with the half-butted shows because of a drill writer, arranger, and so forth (*cough* Michael Gaines and his little incident with placing the drumline 40 yards from the band during an impact point *end cough*--but he does write good stuff). I have personally played some of Poulan's stuff--and it is good. As is Mark Higgombothom. It takes a lot to make shows---and if you are writing for many schools (which most arrangers/writers do) you try to the best you can. But until you can write music/create/arrange music like Poulan and Higgombothom, why don't you shut up. Are you an All-State musician? Do you have a degree in Music (performance, education, etc.)? You can have your opinion about him, but dont knock him until you are as good as him.

I just quoted this just in case you decided to edit it.

Ha! You m ust have me mistaken for someone else; I am an arrogant, stubborn person and I will not back down from my arguement. You have nothing to worry about in the way of me editing my posts. And I would venture to say that while my performance of music and while I don't have a degree in music (and I don't plan to get one either) I will confidently say that I can compose at least, AT LEAST, as good as Poulan, so I will bash his composing as much as I want.

Ha! You m ust have me mistaken for someone else; I am an arrogant, stubborn person and I will not back down from my arguement.  You have nothing to worry about in the way of me editing my posts.  And I would venture to say that while my performance of music and while I don't have a degree in music (and I don't plan to get one either) I will confidently say that I can compose at least, AT LEAST, as good as Poulan, so I will bash his composing as much as I want.

Ok----prove it. Put your money where your mouth is. Here is my challenge: Write a marching band show composed of the following parts:

3 Flute Parts

3 Clarinet Parts

2 Alto Sax

1 Tenor Sax

1 Bari Sax

1 Bass Clarinet

2 French Horn

3 Trumpet

2 Trombone

1 Bass Trombone

1 Baritone

1 Euphonium

1 Tuba

Drumline composed of tenor, snare, and bass drums

1 Cymbal Line

1 Timpiani

2 Mariamba

1 Gong

2 Xylophone

1 Standing Bass Drum

1 Pair of crash cymbals

1 Triangle

and 1 extra effect (i.e.--whistle) instrument

It must be in compliance with UIL rules (this includes no synths or voice amps). And you have one month to do it (from this day). So ya...lets see the all-mighty Fortisimo do that. If you are up to the challenge :P .

Ok----prove it. Put your money where your mouth is. Here is my challenge: Write a marching band show composed of the following parts:

3 Flute Parts

3 Clarinet Parts

2 Alto Sax

1 Tenor Sax

1 Bari Sax

1 Bass Clarinet

2 French Horn

3 Trumpet

2 Trombone

1 Bass Trombone

1 Baritone

1 Euphonium

1 Tuba

Drumline composed of tenor, snare, and bass drums

1 Cymbal Line

1 Timpiani

2 Mariamba

1 Gong

2 Xylophone

1 Standing Bass Drum

1 Pair of crash cymbals

1 Triangle

and 1 extra effect (i.e.--whistle) instrument

It must be in compliance with UIL rules (this includes no synths or voice amps). And you have one month to do it (from this day). So ya...lets see the all-mighty Fortisimo do that. If you are up to the challenge :P .

Oh well that's funny, but I've already produced 4 marching shows that excede your expectations and am currently workign on a fifth. Perhaps they are outside of UIL time limits, but they are within BOA limits. I didn't write battery parts for them; neither does Key Poulan. So, who's the fool now?

I've been writing music for 2 and a half years and am darn good at it; that's how it got so big.

If you want to hear the shows, go to the Composer's corner and listen to "Suite of Assorted Cataclysms" "The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics" "The Unnamed Show" and "A Darker Side of Man", all of which are shows I have composed.

Most of them have This arrangement:

3 Flute parts

2 piccolo Parts

3-4 Clarinet parts (splits)

3 alto parts

No one marches baris and I particularly don't like altos

2 Bass clarinet parts

3 F-Horn Parts

3-5 Trumpet parts

2 or 3 trombone parts

Screw bass trombone

2-3 Euphonium/baritone parts

2 Tuba parts

Pit percussion including

Crash cymbals

Splash Cymbals

Chinese Cymbals

Gongs

Suspended Cymbals

2 kinds of bass drums

HIgh impact cymbals,

High Impact bass strike

Two- Three different snares

Tubular bells

3 boards parts (not specified type)

Well, yes, it is boring.  BUt I think what you meant to say was more along the lines of "I wish we could play a DCI show."  Since, you know, Key Poulan writes subpar shows and charges way too much for them.

Well, if I weren't a clarinet player (ahem, woodwind) I'd be totally for that, but since I'm not a brass and from what I understand DCI is either mainly brass or strictly brass, it wouldn't work. Not to mention that the woodwind section @ my school dominates the brass...and I'm totally not saying that 'cuz I'm one :D

And even though you may think Key Poulan is 'subpar', I happen to like his shows. Of course, I like DCI too, but my BD wouldn't go for it. If he pulled out a Key Poulan show, I'd be thrilled just because it's something different (and I think that's what we need for advancing to the 5A competition, but that's just my opinion)

This discussion has gotten way out of hand. It's cool to disagree with another but personal attacks are frowned upon on here. If you want to do it, do it somewhere else.

If the bashing continues, the staff and I will be forced to close this topic. Keep it clean guys.

Thanks.

Your Moderator,

Michael

Well, if I weren't a clarinet player (ahem, woodwind) I'd be totally for that, but since I'm not a brass and from what I understand DCI is either mainly brass or strictly brass, it wouldn't work. Not to mention that the woodwind section @ my school dominates the brass...and I'm totally not saying that 'cuz I'm one :D

And even though you may think Key Poulan is 'subpar', I happen to like his shows. Of course, I like DCI too, but my BD wouldn't go for it. If he pulled out a Key Poulan show, I'd be thrilled just because it's something different (and I think that's what we need for advancing to the 5A competition, but that's just my opinion)

Well that's all well and good, but it's my opinion that a band needs something much better than a Poulan show. And yes, you do need a very strong brass section to pull off a DCI show.

Fortisimo, perhaps there is a better arranger you would suggest?

You know... Maybe I am missing something here. I believe that when you fork over thousands of dollars for a show, you would hear it before you bought it. And if it didn't meet expectations, the arranger would alter it. OR your directors or YOU (you seem smart with music) could alter it.

I think if Poulan did crappy work, which he does not if you have heard SCV this year, people wouldn't pay for it.

Maybe it's not sub-par work on Poulan's part. Maybe its excellent work for a sub-par band that can't play anything else?

Just remember... He's the one making the money and has the experience. When you make thousands of dollars per show and have years of music experience, your argument would be founded.

Now it's just cocky and immature, and quite unsupported by the lack of solid facts you have given.

Mike's ruling stands. Any more crap and this thread is toast!

Umm... as to your second post, I'm not sure what you are insinuating, but my works span wide varieties of musical disciplines far beyond "putting chords together that sound good with woodwind runs. " Maybe you haven't really listened if you think otherwise. There is abounding use of contrapuntal styles, complex motive structures, and much more.

And we did shows from Poulan when we had our old director; a rather conservative type with often questionable tastes/knowledge of music. And what would make you think I would have the kind of influence to step in and change our show? A better arranger you ask? JD Shaw. He did an amazing job on our show this past season.

And you can't simply claim that you have a stronger arguement based on what is in essence a seniority idealism. Basically, you're saying that since he was born at an earlier time and is therefore farther progressed along life that he is automatically not at fault. Perhaps when it's spelled out so plainly you will see the obvious foolishness of such ideas.

And lack of solid facts? Listen to his shows; HIS shows, not ones he took from other people and arranged. Now listen to mine; there's the proof. And if you believe his shows are better than fine; mostly likely that be attributed to musical taste, or perhaps insincerity.

And of course it stands; he has the power. But maybe you should note; I'm just arguing a stance- you on the other hand are implying that our band sucks. That sounds much more like a personal attack than anything I have said or even came close to saying.

That sounds much more like a personal attack than anything I have said or even came close to saying.

And threatening to take a dump on his front porch isn't a personal attack? You've done a decent job arguing your point, which I have no problem with. But you started your argument off in such a poor and childish way that from then on, it's been impossible for anyone to take you seriously. I respect your opinion about the guy, but next time try approaching it another way.

Honestly, like you, I'm not that big a fan of Key Poulan. There have been a few shows of his that I've enjoyed, mostly done by Gibson Southern here in Indiana and I think his arrangements for Santa Clara have been outstanding, even if they aren't his own works. That's my opinion.

I didn't mean to say that you guys sucked. I meant to point out the irony that the directors pay Poulan, so it would seem logical to get irritated at the directors, not Poulan.

My opinion is biased in favor of Poulan. I played an incredible show by him, and will never forget it. I couldn't tell you any other shows he's arranged, except for SCV, so my knowledge is limited there.

Again, sorry.

Oh well that's funny, but I've already produced 4 marching shows that excede your expectations and am currently workign on a fifth.  Perhaps they are outside of UIL time limits, but they are within BOA limits.  I didn't write battery parts for them; neither does Key Poulan.  So, who's the fool now?

I've been writing music for 2 and a half years and am darn good at it; that's how it got so big.

Just out of curiosity: If you were so good, then why haven't you published any of them? I mean, if I was "darn good" as you put it, I would have started to publish them.

If you want to hear the shows, go to the Composer's corner and listen to "Suite of Assorted Cataclysms" "The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics" "The Unnamed Show" and "A Darker Side of Man", all of which are shows I have composed.

I went to try and listen to them, but none of them are accessible. But I can guess, through logical deduction, that none of them are playable due to the woodwind technique being too difficult and the brass register too high. Plus high tempo equals less clarity.

Most of them have This arrangement:

3 Flute parts

2 piccolo Parts

3-4 Clarinet parts (splits)

3 alto parts

No one marches baris and I particularly don't like altos

2 Bass clarinet parts

3 F-Horn Parts

3-5 Trumpet parts

2 or 3 trombone parts

Screw bass trombone

2-3 Euphonium/baritone parts

2 Tuba parts

Pit percussion including

Crash cymbals

Splash Cymbals

Chinese Cymbals

Gongs

Suspended Cymbals

2 kinds of bass drums

HIgh impact cymbals,

High Impact bass strike

Two- Three different snares

Tubular bells

3 boards parts (not specified type)

My school marches 4 baris and 4 tenors plus 2-3 bass trombones. So people do march them :D.

Umm... as to your second post, I'm not sure what you are insinuating, but my works span wide varieties of musical disciplines far beyond "putting chords together that sound good with woodwind runs. " Maybe you haven't really listened if you think otherwise. There is abounding use of contrapuntal styles, complex motive structures, and much more.

I am going to disagree with that statement for the reason you have not a single college to your name. You lack credibility-duh.

And we did shows from Poulan when we had our old director; a rather conservative type with often questionable tastes/knowledge of music. And what would make you think I would have the kind of influence to step in and change our show? A better arranger you ask? JD Shaw. He did an amazing job on our show this past season.

Don't you love when a student questions a band directors taste in music. I am guessing that since you called him conservative because you disliked him. But once again, he has a college degree and you dont. Therefore, no points for you :P.

And you can't simply claim that you have a stronger arguement based on what is in essence a seniority idealism. Basically, you're saying that since he was born at an earlier time and is therefore farther progressed along life that he is automatically not at fault. Perhaps when it's spelled out so plainly you will see the obvious foolishness of such ideas.

I think Travis was trying to say that as of right now he has more money and experience than you. Hence he does!

And lack of solid facts? Listen to his shows; HIS shows, not ones he took from other people and arranged. Now listen to mine; there's the proof. And if you believe his shows are better than fine; mostly likely that be attributed to musical taste, or perhaps insincerity.

Once again, your shows are deleted--so I cant listen to them. And darn--you are so conceited.

And of course it stands; he has the power. But maybe you should note; I'm just arguing a stance- you on the other hand are implying that our band sucks. That sounds much more like a personal attack than anything I have said or even came close to saying.

But ya---what has your band done to stand out from the rest? Most people complain about shows for the simple reason they can't play them. Plus Travis never mentioned you or your bands name:

Maybe it's not sub-par work on Poulan's part. Maybe its excellent work for a sub-par band that can't play anything else?

It seems that your beef should be with someone else then with Poulan.

I am going to disagree with that statement for the reason you have not a single college to your name. You lack credibility-duh.

Uh yeah, could you clarify that, because right now I just think you're saying because he doesn't have a college degree his shows can't "span wide varieties of musical disciplines" and have an "abounding use of contrapuntal styles, complex motive structures, and much more."

I went to try and listen to them, but none of them are accessible. But I can guess, through logical deduction, that none of them are playable due to the woodwind technique being too difficult and the brass register too high. Plus high tempo equals less clarity.

If you just PM him with your email address he would probably send you them.

Don't you love when a student questions a band directors taste in music. I am guessing that since you called him conservative because you disliked him. But once again, he has a college degree and you dont. Therefore, no points for you .

Well since a person's taste in music is an opinion, you don't need a college degree for that.

But ya---what has your band done to stand out from the rest? Most people complain about shows for the simple reason they can't play them. Plus Travis never mentioned you or your bands name:

I believe Dynasty's apology shows that he was talking about us, but as he said he wasn't insulting us. And the two years we played Key Poulan shows, playing wasn't the problem for us.

Just out of curiosity: If you were so good, then why haven't you published any of them? I mean, if I was "darn good" as you put it, I would have started to publish them.

My school marches 4 baris and 4 tenors plus 2-3 bass trombones. So people do march them :D.

Don't you love when a student questions a band directors taste in music. I am guessing that since you called him conservative because you disliked him. But once again, he has a college degree and you dont. Therefore, no points for you :P.

I think Travis was trying to say that as of right now he has more money and experience than you. Hence he does!

Once again, your shows are deleted--so I cant listen to them. And darn--you are so conceited.

It seems that your beef should be with someone else then with Poulan.

Perhaps because I simply don't have the time nor drive to do so? Maybe because I don't plan to pursue the field of music? Besides, each successive show I make gets better and better; maybe at some point I will.

That's only on the basis of the faults of the performers. Sure, they're really hard shows. But isn't Shostakovich's 8th Quartet and countless other great pieces? And I don't believe you deduced anything; you probably used logical inference to derive those statements by reading the comments of others. I'll upload the shjows to the ftp site.

Bah, you're school is wierd in the way of baris, but I didn't include tenors or bass trombones because I simply didn't feel, being the composer of the pieces, that I wanted to.

That doesn't make any sense at all; I don't need a college to my name for a person to analyze my music and see what I say is true. The credibility is in the music. The proff is in the music. That is what we are talking about, right? Music? I mean, this certainly isn't the "only people who have gone to college are decent composers" forum. You seem to have missed the point here entirely.

I'm not the only one; there was a radical change when he left and it was the vast majority of the band that questioned it. But I suppose you'll once again invoke the close-minded, pig-headed idea that only people with formal education can ever be right. It's people like that who take manuscripts, say from Mussorgsky, and degrade them, and throw them away or just stash them in their attic because the composer wasn't formally educated in music, or perhaps the musical style is unorthodox.

And what in the world would make you think I am trying to get points from you? Or even that you have points to give? It's obvious I have the moer logical argument; yours is based solely of off poorly founded ethos whereas mine has strong roots in logos.

Hence he does? I think you must of used the wrong word there; you're syaing that because he said it it is true. Wrong answer buddy. While it is true, it is also irrelevant. See paragraph four.

Once again, I will reupload them.

Ha! Key Poulan's shows were a breeze; they were balsically comprised of what exactly what Dynasty attacked; it's hits of dominant 7th chords with some runs on top, then maybe some augmetned or diminished chords in the last movement and some other simplistic junk in the middle. And you'd have to be an idiot to not get the implication of what he said.

It seems... no, pretty sure you're dead wrong.

I'm not talking about any band in particular. I have never heard Martin. The only impression I have of you guys is when you flooded the forums after you beat Bell.

I didn't say "your" director. I intended to sound like I was making a generalized statement. If anyone's director picked a poor show, I would be irritated with the director, because they paid money for it and had the final "yea" or "nea" vote.

Seriously, I don't have motivation to attack anyone. I am very sorry if it sounded like that.