How does your band do it?

How does your band "get in shape" for the show? What activities do you do? Running? How much? Weights? Jumping Jacks?

How does your band motivate its members? What kinda things do you do? Speeches, songs, etc..

How does your band run rehearsal? Who calls the band to set? How often do you take water breaks? Is there talking on the field?

Feel free to add on any more How does your band do it type questions!

hmm... let's answer these section by section.

1. How does your band "get in shape" for the show? What activities do you do? Running? How much? Weights? Jumping Jacks?

During summer band, we run a lot. The runs get progressively longer and more difficult as it goes. Usually we start out the summer with a light, 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile jog around the parking lot. Towards the end of the summer it goes to about a little over a mile. Also, there are days when we run about a mile with a stretch of our stadium's bleachers in the middle of it. Those are the days everybody dreads... During the actual season, we keep the running routine up pretty consistently. About a half mile run every morning to wake everybody up and get the blood flowing. That plus about 50 jumping jacks tends to do the tricks.

2. How does your band motivate its members? What kinda things do you do? Speeches, songs, etc..

Every band is different but at Hebron, during summer band we have different spirit days for the two weeks. It's a fun way to get the band and the sections close to each other. Random days such as "dress up as a super hero" or "dress up your section leader" always help to unify each other. Also, we have a ton of those little sayings that our directors say throughout the year that keep us motivated. We usually make signs and big banners before contests with those sayings on there as a bit of a memento.

3.How does your band run rehearsal? Who calls the band to set? How often do you take water breaks? Is there talking on the field?

In the mornings, everyone gets out about 10 minutes early to set up their positions on the field in the morning warmup block. Each person has a designated dot on the field at which they stand. Section and squad leaders are at the front of the section's respective lines. The drum majors call them to set quietly. They just go to set and everyone follows suit. This is a new thing that we just instituted this year, but I really like it. Water breaks... sometimes come far and few. For our three hour morning rehearsal, we'll usually get 1-3 breaks besides the one after the run depending on how busy the day is and how hot it is. Hotter days obviously deserve more water breaks. Talking on the field is not allowed by anybody except officer type folk (section leader, horn sergeant, squad leaders). We always have a ton of drill techs out on the field so if a move is in need of fixing, the leaders usually just get the attention of the techs to help with it.

1. How does your band "get in shape" for the show? What activities do you do? Running? How much? Weights? Jumping Jacks?

Warm up block before every practice. We will do some basic stretches if it is before a football performance. For contest, we will do all of our stretches.

We work on getting each of the marching parts of the body in motion (arms, legs, etc.)

2. How does your band motivate its members? What kinda things do you do? Speeches, songs, etc..

Director gives a speech and section leaders take their sections and do a quick talk.

3.How does your band run rehearsal? Who calls the band to set? How often do you take water breaks? Is there talking on the field?

Everyone is to be out on the lot at a certain time. Drum Majors get the band into a warm up block and then directors take over and discuss the goals for the day and we drink and get ready to move.

Texas just makes things hot. 90 degrees outside equals 180 on the parking lot. Water breaks are based on the heat and how fast we are moving. Talking is kept to bare minimum and we can talk when we take our water break.

How does your band "get in shape" for the show? What activities do you do? Running? How much? Weights? Jumping Jacks?

we do these weird stretches something to do with posture??

crap load of calve raises to work on the calves??

umm alot of marching to practice being in sync??

How does your band motivate its members? What kinda things do you do? Speeches, songs, etc..

our section leaders tell us stuff and drum majors give there major speechs

now that i think about it at fishie camp our top drum major told us that if we're ever embarrassed about the stuff we do in band to get over it cuz we're in band which means we're probably not the most popular or pretty people.

How does your band run rehearsal? Who calls the band to set? How often do you take water breaks? Is there talking on the field?

We ususally do all the warm up crap calve raises, stretches, block form thingy, etc the top drum major calls it.

water breaks every hourish i think and if your far enough where you cant be heard then i guess you can try to talk

hmm... let's answer these section by section.

During summer band, we run a lot. The runs get progressively longer and more difficult as it goes. Usually we start out the summer with a light, 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile jog around the parking lot. Towards the end of the summer it goes to about a little over a mile. Also, there are days when we run about a mile with a stretch of our stadium's bleachers in the middle of it. Those are the days everybody dreads... During the actual season, we keep the running routine up pretty consistently. About a half mile run every morning to wake everybody up and get the blood flowing. That plus about 50 jumping jacks tends to do the tricks.

Every band is different but at Hebron, during summer band we have different spirit days for the two weeks. It's a fun way to get the band and the sections close to each other. Random days such as "dress up as a super hero" or "dress up your section leader" always help to unify each other. Also, we have a ton of those little sayings that our directors say throughout the year that keep us motivated. We usually make signs and big banners before contests with those sayings on there as a bit of a memento.

In the mornings, everyone gets out about 10 minutes early to set up their positions on the field in the morning warmup block. Each person has a designated dot on the field at which they stand. Section and squad leaders are at the front of the section's respective lines. The drum majors call them to set quietly. They just go to set and everyone follows suit. This is a new thing that we just instituted this year, but I really like it. Water breaks... sometimes come far and few. For our three hour morning rehearsal, we'll usually get 1-3 breaks besides the one after the run depending on how busy the day is and how hot it is. Hotter days obviously deserve more water breaks. Talking on the field is not allowed by anybody except officer type folk (section leader, horn sergeant, squad leaders). We always have a ton of drill techs out on the field so if a move is in need of fixing, the leaders usually just get the attention of the techs to help with it.

wow band there sounds alil on the ruff side

We do a combination of streches and marching excercises combined with a little playing before beginning working on the show. We do no running or weight lifting though those are good ideas for training.

Our band directors do give speeches at the beginning of camps, and squad leaders help with motivation also, but we also rely on self motivation for ourselves.

When first learning music for the show we will also stay inside for a bit and work in different groups.

We like everyband I think, have a problem with talking. Over this past season I think we have gotten a little better about it, though it is still a problem. The Drum Majors call the band to attention, squad leaders only do it when are sections seperate to work on marching exercises. We take water breaks often enough to sustain us.

wow band there sounds alil on the ruff side

no, it really isn't. i actually rather enjoy our rehearsals. i believe that having a set routine for a marching band is essential for rehearsal. if one kid doesn't know what he's doing or where he's supposed to go, then its the leaders' job to inform him without having to get the directors involved. putting a lot of responsibility into the hands of the officers is a great way for the directors to focus about what is happening with the drill and music in order to make art. having a set way of doing things easily gets kids understanding what needs to be done.

If anybody is even a second late at the start of rehearsal, we must run a lap. Section leaders check for attendance and drill team music/lyers. If you are missing anything, you run another lap. In the beginning of rehearsal and we go out into a warm-up block. We put our instruments down and do stretches. After this the brasses go off into a circle and do some buzz exercises. The woodwinds go off and do there own thing. After about five to ten minutes of that we go back to the warm-up block and warm up on our instruments. After we warm up we'll play through drill team music. Then we will go through marching drills, like the T drill if any of you have heard of it. Once this is done we go to whatever we are going to work on for the day.

To keep up energy, whenever our band goes from one set to another, or moves from someplace to another, we always run and yell. Always. If we are caught walking, we must run a lap. Whenever we change directions(like north to south) we will yell. Director: "Okay face the south" Us: "YAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! SOUTTTTTTTTHHHHHHH!". This makes rehearsal fun, and not hot and boring. Whenever everybody is in high spirits and energetic it just makes things more enjoyable. People put in more effort as well. I noticed this when for a couple of days I went to play with this Cavalier experience deal in San Antonio. I was in aw about how things were compared to our band back home.

If we get caught talking in rehearsal than we have to take a lap called a "Lap of Love". Another thing about our rehearsals, is if we ever move from one place to another lathargicly(sp?) or unenergecticly we have to go back to the place we were at, and run back again to the place we are going except with energy.

Whenever we are just marching a set and not playing, we must count out the beats as loud as we can and if somebody is seen not counting than that person must take a "Lap of Love".

You can see my director is big on being energetic. He believes that if you do this you do this, from it will come endurance and effort, as you will not focus on heat and fatigue. I know it is true from experience.

Running, only during summer band. Other than that, stretching, pilates for abs, and some sort of calf/ankle exercize. This usually totals about 20 minutes of rehersal, at the beginning.

Student Leadership, role models, and tradition. It's fairly simple.

We have social gatherings, like pool parties and lock-ins. All the sections have signs with everyone's name. Some sections have parties and/or make shirts.

3. How does your band run rehearsal? Who calls the band to set? How often do you take water breaks? Is there talking on the field?

Rehersal is directed by the directors, and implemented by the techs and higher-level leaders. Set is a director command. Water breaks every 10 minues, no excuses.

No talking is allowed during instructions, period. Student leaders can address concerns and questions during down time, and instruct others during "field time", usually about 30 seconds to a minute, every once in a while.

Our band survives on strong leadership or motivation to be a leader. It's truly unprecedented and I have never seen any group stronger or closer than our leaders (Please don't rebutt that statement, it's not an attack on anyone! :) ). They do a fantastic job.

Every morning in summer band, we stretch and do push-ups and run laps, then we do the basics of marching

Speeches pretty much, most of the time, we motivate ourselves

The Band Director always runs the rehearsal, the drum major conducts and calls us to set. Every hour, theres a 5 minute water break and we dont talk on the field, if you do then its 1 lap or 20 push-ups...your choice

Isnt Summer Band close already....yep, i got my audition music for next year, its close alright!

We stretch before practice, and run through the basics.

Mostly student leaders, I try to keep people motivated but alot of time you have to modivate yourself.

During summer band we have rehersals ran by the director, also we have some student led practices that are led by the drum majors. Sectionals are also student-led.

W00t marching season is almost here.

• 5 weeks later...

Hm, we do alot of what Cedar Park does, except we're somewhat (putting on political correctness for the subject of physical work)... lazy... about exercise (no group running to my memory- the most exercise I got in band camp had to be our percussion camp... tracking X miles around the track). I do wish that our directors had more original ideas, seeing that apparently we've "borrowed" some of CP's ideas. But CP's director from their 4A championship year gave us a clinic sometime during marching season last year, and insisted that we have a "great staff". If he's right... then maybe I should direct my rhetorical club elsewhere.

we start jogging for 4 minutes, then 6 minutes, 8 minutes, and then eventually 10 or 11. some days we do jumping jacks,etc. and sometimes, we play a few warmup notes and articulations, and then go run around the football field, pick our horns up, and then play...no time to rest!

But CP's director from their 4A championship year gave us a clinic sometime during marching season last year, and insisted that we have a "great staff".  If he's right... then maybe I should direct my rhetorical club elsewhere.

Mr. Morrison was right about your staff. Mr. Christian knows what he is doing as well as the rest of your staff. What seperates bands are the students work ethics. If you ever attended one of CP's rehearsals during marching band (or even concert band), you will notice how they work.