State Solo & Ensemble Contest

meh... here's my story.

Last year, I got a 1 on a class 2 solo, beat the crap out of it. UIL rules say that if you get a 1 on a class 2 solo, you have to play a class 1 the next year. My problem is that right after region this year, my private instructor did an embouchure change on me, and it's really messing with my range. So I was stuck with a class 1, and I got a 4. Had I not made the change, I probably would've gotten a 1, but I'm not bitter over it, because I can tell the difference in my tone quality and other stuff =)

Since I got a 1 on my solo and it was memorized, I do qualify for All-State S&E. But when I talked to my band director about it, he basically said it might be more trouble than it's worth. Our band directors don't go, so if I did it I'd have to do everything on my own, including taking a marimba, bringing it back and everything in between. To put it simply, I'm not going. But good luck to anyone who is! :D

meh... here's my story.

Last year, I got a 1 on a class 2 solo, beat the crap out of it. UIL rules say that if you get a 1 on a class 2 solo, you have to play a class 1 the next year. My problem is that right after region this year, my private instructor did an embouchure change on me, and it's really messing with my range. So I was stuck with a class 1, and I got a 4. Had I not made the change, I probably would've gotten a 1, but I'm not bitter over it, because I can tell the difference in my tone quality and other stuff =)

OOH boy do i feel that pain too, but it has helped my sound a lot...

It's just so lame when you're in a really good band and sound like crap.