UIL 5A Area F 2023

Burleson is up next with their show entitled Across the Sky. The brass sounded good for the size and was pretty clean. The solos in the middle of the show were the best I’ve heard them this season. The added band members to the guard was a nice effect. Not sure I follow the theme throughout the show but it’s still fairly cohesive. They did have some tempo issues early on in the opener. Probably good enough for finals.

Midlothian Heritage up next with their show “Red”. Nice opening woodwind feature…very clean. Musically it’s somewhat simplistic for the first half of the show. Low brass rocked it and let’s not forget the lone bass clarinet and bari sax on the end 🙂 we heard ya! High brass completed that feature nicely! Might not make the cut for finals but great job from one of the smaller schools.

Summit’s show The 13th Floor is next. Great theme for Halloween weekend! Cohesive music for their opener. Tuba solo was clean and the woodwinds were a nice contrast to it.  The added vocal embellishments were a welcomed addition. The clarinet/bass clarinet solo at the end was nice and the creepy drum majors finished it off. Definitely a rebuilding year from their success of 2 years ago with their pinball show, but it might squeeze into finals.

The last show before the first break is Cleburne with their show The Vine. Empty set that revealed a vine of players to start it off then went to back field playing leading up to their first hit. Nice opener. Good balance overall with nice visuals. Not sure it needed the spoken words (she did a great job though!) Good percussion and soloist. The bottom 4-5 finalist is going to be a hard choice after this first block.

Since no one appears to be updating I'll take a stab:

For context I just missed Burleson.

Midlothian Heritage: Like the overall theme, especially the plumes. Ballad with the red cape reveal was especially well executed. Could be a real threat in a couple years.

Granbury: While some difficult passages were handled well, others struggled musically, like the trumpet quartet opening. Visually, I felt there were certain static sections where movement could have been added.

Summit: Really clean overall. "13" set looked especially nice. I heard a couple of slight tears originating from the percussion. The storage of the uniforms on the luggage carts was an especially nice touch.

Cleburne: Music was fairly good in terms of balance even though the complexity was lacking. Golden Hour arrangement worked great. Not a fan of some of the thematic choices, but that shouldn't mean much in terms of UiL.

One thing I noticed about all four of the bands was that the visuals were often mistimed. Summit was very good through the ballad but I noticed weak forms in the closer. The other bands definitely had issues throughout stemming from clearly  missed sets and missed visual moments. I suspect this week's poor weather might be a culprit.

Colleyville Heritage is up to start off the second block with their show “Pop.” Clean musical opener, best I’ve heard from them this season. I would individually mic the clarinet feature so that all the voicing can be heard because a lot is lost with the single mic on the clarinet ensemble. Great bari sax solo that brought energy to the rest of the band. Musically the show is sound and marching is fairly clean but I just don’t get the theme and overall feeling of the show to be honest. Dedicating that many kids to the red balls seems odd and other than the colorguard outfits I don’t see how the show ties together with the theme? Definitely a finalist and likely top 6…not sure about top 4 depending on finals/no finals, etc.

Arlington Heights show is “Songs of Sirens.” I recognize their shipwreck from Burleson Centennial’s WGI drumline show from last year. Great prop! Tempo issues with percussion prior to the brass feature but the brass cleaned that up. Very melodic flugel solo…great job with a mature tone. Head drum major has a nice flair!

Grapevine’s show is called “In Space” and has an interesting moon prop. The neon yellow and magenta colors pop off the field. Good overall look. Nice back field effect going into the ballad. They need to be careful of individuals sticking out but most of the time blend well. Good visuals with lots of sets throughout. They should be good for finals.

Azle’s show starts off nicely. Their set is nautical themed with a boat and helm as well as an oversized sexton. Unfortunate mic issues on their ballad solos that led to some tempo issues but they recovered well. Percussion nailed it during their feature. I think their brass tends to overpower their woodwinds and that may hurt them in UIL. Great brass section though 🙂 No problem with them making finals and likely top 6. The ballad can likely improve before finals.

Birdville’s show is “Please Stand By”. Love the interstellar music in the pre show and the “beeping” trumpets from the towers (very nice addition.) Flute and trumpet solos were great! Percussion feature with the interstellar reprise was on point! Clean marching. Show length was bit short as was Azle’s surprisingly but a good solid show that we’ll see in finals if the weather holds out.