UIL 5A Area F 2023

2 hours ago, Band_dad_of_2 said:

You definitely want that post-lunch slot but that's a tough draw for BC.  It won't affect them making finals but may affect their placement slightly...maybe a shuffle in the top 4-5. 

Advantage Aledo and Richland

I agree it's probably not ideal just because of the early wakeup time. But on the other hand it gives staff and students plenty of time to review the prelims run and rehearse to clean and make any adjustments before finals. Also with plenty of time to rest. I remember in 2019 BC did just that and went from 6th in prelims to 1st in finals by making some key adjustments before the night run.

On 10/10/2023 at 10:26 PM, randomguardkid07 said:

i’m very excited for this area as well! i could definitely see summit slipping back into state this year, but aledo is my only lock at the current moment. maybe i need to do a little more research….

After Summit lost to Burleson High School at the Birdville Marching Festival this last week, I’d say they don’t have a chance at squeezing into top 4. Centennial and Aledo are definitely locked due to the score gap between them and other bands at previous competitions

1 hour ago, btptc said:

After Summit lost to Burleson High School at the Birdville Marching Festival this last week, I’d say they don’t have a chance at squeezing into top 4. Centennial and Aledo are definitely locked due to the score gap between them and other bands at previous competitions

Yeah, Summit is definitely not the same Summit from 2021 IMO. After the Birdville Marching Festival, I'd even say bands like Timberview and Joshua might catch up to them by area. Right now I don't even have them in finals.

1 hour ago, btptc said:

yeah lol i quoted myself after birdville and said i take it back

2 hours ago, btptc said:

Yeah, they were hit really hard after losing their head director after the 2021 season. defiantly could still make finals but I don't think state is a realistic possibility for them, but I do hope they return to their former state  very soon! 

3 hours ago, texastrumpetdad said:

Does anyone know for sure the finals performance order rules for Area F (5A)? Random draw or is it in prelims score order? I’ve heard that it’ll be in score order, but wanted to see if anyone else has confirmed that.

it was in reverse score order last year, which was pretty odd, but i believe that mightve been a mistake. hoping its random this year

Backup day is Monday Oct 30th at Tommy Standridge Stadium in Carrollton. The issue is the forecast is about the same for Monday. I’ve also heard if they can only get prelims in then there’s a rule that allows them to use the prelim results as the final results for advancing to state due to weather. Don’t know if they would delay start the contest if they thought they could get it started later for a window of time on Saturday to squeeze in the prelims and call it a day. Let’s hope not but I’m sure they would prefer to leave it on Saturday if they can, even if the finals are eliminated.

On 10/17/2023 at 1:05 PM, BandNerd07 said:

Update: All Region 31 bands recieved 1's and qualify for the area contest. There will be 24 bands total which results in 10 finalists and 4 state spots. With that being said, here's my full predictions

1. Burleson Centennial
  2. Aledo
  3. Richland
  4. Colleyville Heritage
  5. Azle
  6. Midlothian
  7. Birdville
  8. Burleson
  9. Granbury
  10. Brewer
  11. Summit
  12. Timberview
  13. Saginaw
  14. Grapevine
  15. Joshua
  16. Newman Smith
  17. Cleburne
  18. Midlothian Heritage
  19. Everman
  20. RL Turner
  21. Arlington Heights
  22. Southwest
  23. South Hills
  24. Creekview

Having seen a number of these bands perform this year, I agree with your predictions. I haven't seen Azle yet but Richland has a great show and has proven to get even better between prelims and finals. Hoping the weather holds so we get a preliminary and finals performance. CH has a really entertaining show but the technical aspect is a bit lacking. 

1 hour ago, BandMom07 said:

Having seen a number of these bands perform this year, I agree with your predictions. I haven't seen Azle yet but Richland has a great show and has proven to get even better between prelims and finals. Hoping the weather holds so we get a preliminary and finals performance. CH has a really entertaining show but the technical aspect is a bit lacking. 

Yeah cville was pretty dirty at birdville marching festival visually imo. Cville always finds a way to max out at the end of the season tho so im excited to see how they have improved. Their show is great they just need to execute to the fullest. if they do show up with their best I can see them beating Richland. Id also have to say I wouldnt put grapevine too low in the placements, they have had some good results and have improved alot from last year. Definitely a finalist band for me for sure. All i know is Richland and Azle can get the results, the fight for state is gonna be intense.

I’m really starting to realize just how big of a battle getting into finals will be, especially in the bottom half. I think it’s somewhat safe to say the top 5 will most likely be Azle, Aledo, BC, CH and Richland, but the bottom half could literally be so many different bands! There will be a lot of programs they get left out, which sucks, but this area is gigga competitive this year. It will be very interesting to see who all gets in, very excited for this one! 

On 10/14/2023 at 10:53 PM, BandNerd07 said:

Another thing I will say. About Brewer, last year was honestly a fluke for them in area finals. They got 8th in prelims but then for some reason moved all the way up to 4th in finals, beating out Azle, Midlothian, and Birdville, something I would've never imagined.

wrong, not a fluke, they are a major contender now, main reason they went from bottom finals to top 4 is they bought mellophones, before all they had were marching French horns 

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

I’m really starting to realize just how big of a battle getting into finals will be, especially in the bottom half. I think it’s somewhat safe to say the top 5 will most likely be Azle, Aledo, BC, CH and Richland, but the bottom half could literally be so many different bands! There will be a lot of programs they get left out, which sucks, but this area is gigga competitive this year. It will be very interesting to see who all gets in, very excited for this one! 

That last sentence is 100! Very interesting to see who gets in and the next 2 left out ( 5-6)! Beyond excited! Just hope the weather doesn't play a factor smh.

On 10/17/2023 at 1:05 PM, BandNerd07 said:

Update: All Region 31 bands recieved 1's and qualify for the area contest. There will be 24 bands total which results in 10 finalists and 4 state spots. With that being said, here's my full predictions

1. Burleson Centennial
  2. Aledo
  3. Richland
  4. Colleyville Heritage
  5. Azle
  6. Midlothian
  7. Birdville
  8. Burleson
  9. Granbury
  10. Brewer
  11. Summit
  12. Timberview
  13. Saginaw
  14. Grapevine
  15. Joshua
  16. Newman Smith
  17. Cleburne
  18. Midlothian Heritage
  19. Everman
  20. RL Turner
  21. Arlington Heights
  22. Southwest
  23. South Hills
  24. Creekview

I think Granbury may make a little higher than 9th after their placement in several other competitions.

Brewer last year definitely better than this year. Every year is a new year for any band and last year wont determine how you would do this year. Brewer so far hasn’t really impressed me too much. I mean Birdville marching festival they lost to Burleson and finishing 8th. I see Brewer making finals but having them beat midlothian, birdville, and grapevine and now even burleson its very hard to see them finishing higher than 8th. Who knows maybe somehow they sneak their way past 8th.

1 hour ago, 5abands said:

Brewer last year definitely better than this year. Every year is a new year for any band and last year wont determine how you would do this year. Brewer so far hasn’t really impressed me too much. I mean Birdville marching festival they lost to Burleson and finishing 8th. I see Brewer making finals but having them beat midlothian, birdville, and grapevine and now even burleson its very hard to see them finishing higher than 8th. Who knows maybe somehow they sneak their way past 8th.

Pre lims they were ahead of burleson, second run was definitely no where near their best, doesn’t help they started with a color guard getting the Saturn prop dropped on top of them while getting onto the field

27 minutes ago, Mello46372864 said:

Pre lims they were ahead of burleson, second run was definitely no where near their best, doesn’t help they started with a color guard getting the Saturn prop dropped on top of them while getting onto the field

While this may be true, after seeing them on the live stream at HEB, while Ik they have improved some, they aren’t nearly as strong as last year. Just seeing how they have placed all season, you can tell, and it’s not a bad thing, but it’s definitely noticeable. They should still be in finals but probably not any higher than 8th, at least imo, maybe 7th?? I’d say Midlothian, Grapevine and probably Birdville are ahead at the moment, Burleson could also pass them, but I don’t see them make it to state unless they have cleaned up like crazy 

10 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

While this may be true, after seeing them on the live stream at HEB, while Ik they have improved some, they aren’t nearly as strong as last year. Just seeing how they have placed all season, you can tell, and it’s not a bad thing, but it’s definitely noticeable. They should still be in finals but probably not any higher than 8th, at least imo, maybe 7th?? I’d say Midlothian, Grapevine and probably Birdville are ahead at the moment, Burleson could also pass them, but I don’t see them make it to state unless they have cleaned up like crazy 

I don’t think the comps before area matter, there have been a loads of times that bands improve ten fold in the last 2 weeks, guess we will see though, the rain the past weeks definitely doesn’t help anyone (except colleyville and their band indoor field