UIL 5A Area F 2023

23 minutes ago, BandNerd07 said:

I think it's mostly due to poor funding. FWISD isn't really a great district for music education, as most bands don't advance to area. Most of these bands can't afford props, brand new uniforms, or even a semi truck. I feel like they throw all of their money to PHS because of the fact that they are 6A, while the other programs are left and abandoned. I've seen Paschal's show and it almost looks like a BOA show with the props and guard uniforms, and the style of music. What do the other bands get? Almost nothing. They don't even have a semi truck (Paschal is the only one that does), and the other programs just use another school bus to store equipment. Really wished the other programs had the support Paschal has, otherwize they might start doing better.

Just for clarification the Paschal Boosters provided the band trailer. FWISD does very little for band programs

1 minute ago, Percplayer19 said:

Just for clarification the Paschal Boosters provided the band trailer. FWISD does very little for band programs

Good to know. Just unfortunate that the FWISD band kids don't get to experience what "true competition" is. The only other two bands that I know of that go to competitions are Arlington Heights and Southwest, and even then, they either don't make finals or place low (like 9th-10th place). Support for these programs can really go a long way. 

25 minutes ago, GradDad said:

Richland is a historically good program, but they finished 8th in this area two years ago. 

They also would have advanced last year had it been a state year for 5A. I think 2021 was an off year for many bands in general so I wouldnt put too much thought into results from 2 years since a lot can change for bands in such a short time. 

I will say Richland has a good chance of advancing if they can replicate their finals runs of the last 2 comps they been to. While their exhibition show today felt a bit tired and lacking energy they have shown they can turn it up when it matters most. I'd have them advancing along with BC, Aledo and Azle.

7 minutes ago, Aquaflamma85 said:

They also would have advanced last year had it been a state year for 5A. I think 2021 was an off year for many bands in general so I wouldnt put too much thought into results from 2 years since a lot can change for bands in such a short time. 

I will say Richland has a good chance of advancing if they can replicate their finals runs of the last 2 comps they been to. While their exhibition show today felt a bit tired and lacking energy they have shown they can turn it up when it matters most. I'd have them advancing along with BC, Aledo and Azle.

They very well could and I wish them luck. Just remember last year’s area results are a little skewed with Centennial choosing not to participate. 

32 minutes ago, BandNerd07 said:

Good to know. Just unfortunate that the FWISD band kids don't get to experience what "true competition" is. The only other two bands that I know of that go to competitions are Arlington Heights and Southwest, and even then, they either don't make finals or place low (like 9th-10th place). Support for these programs can really go a long way. 

I graduated from a Fort Worth school and unfortunately booster clubs just don’t know how to get the parents involved. Parents just don’t see value in supporting band programs because they don’t see results which in turn the kids suffer because I guarantee they work just as hard as any other suburban band program. 

56 minutes ago, Aquaflamma85 said:

Azle won't be attending Area (they'll be at BOA Waco.)

13 hours ago, Aquaflamma85 said:

Yeah I figured, right now Centennial is a lock especially after tonight. They look and sound really good and I have them in state finals. After that Aledo has consistently made state, Richland is having one of their best starts to a season in recent times and Azle has been a good suprise with how well they're doing this season. Colleyville also has a good chance here but with only 4 bands advancing I have them first out.

I thought there was 5 advancing this year since 29 made area?

On 10/12/2023 at 5:28 PM, Anthony V said:

I wanted to point out how Aledo, Burleson Centennial, and Colleyville Heritage will be at the BISD contest this Saturday. (Richland will also, but will be in exhibition.) Several other potential finalists for 5A Area F will be at this contest, too.

Do you know why richland was an exhibition and not competing? 

14 hours ago, GradDad said:

Richland is a historically good program, but they finished 8th in this area two years ago. 

As a member of a band competing in Area f I think richland definitely could make it. I think Aledo, BC and Colleyville are making it, and then I feel like Azle, Midlo and richland definitely make an argument for it too. Area F is a hard area

14 hours ago, BandNerd07 said:

Are you sure? According to their calendar they'll be attending Area, unless they try to do both in one day. I've seen programs do this before (Boswell did it in 2021).

That's weird, they're still on BOA's list. I doubt they'll do both because of the distance and since they should be able to make finals at both.

Edit: They're still on the schedule as of 10/11.

4 hours ago, o1iv said:

yes it’s 5 instead of 4. 

That’s only if all of Region 31 qualifies on Tuesday. which IS possible of course. There are 29 “possible” schools in 5A Area F that can advance. If 25 were to qualify then yes, the top 5 would get advanced to state.

Currently these 18 schools have qualified:

Aledo

Azle

Brewer

Burleson

Burleson Centennial 

Cleburne

Crowley

Everman

Granbury

Joshua

Saginaw

Arlington Heights

Midlothian 

Midlothian Heritage

South Hills

Southwest

Summit

Timberview

The remaining schools that need to qualify are:

Birdville

Colleyville Heritage

Creekview

Grapevine

Newman Smith

RL Turner

Richland

Let’s hope all 7 remaining schools have success Tuesday.

Okay so assuming they take 5, heres what I’m currently thinking (it also sounds like Azle is coming here, Not boa Waco):

1st/2nd: Aledo/ Burleson Centennial 

1st/2nd: Aledo/ BC 

3rd: Colleyville Heritage 

4th/5th: Richland: Azle/Richland

4th/5th: Azle/ Richland 

6th: Birdville 

7th: Burleson 

8th: Grapevine (having their best season to date, could be anywhere as high as 6th IMO) 

9th and 10th: Summit, Brewer, Midlothian, Timberview, Newman Smith, Saginaw, Granbury, Joshua, Cleburne 

At this point, I feel like the top 5 is pretty much a lock, unless of course one of those bands have a really bad day, with specific placements being interchangeable. Would be shocked if Birdville, Burleson and Grapevine aren’t in finals, all 3 are having great seasons so far, but again it’s assuming they have strong performances. The other 2 spots really depend on how the bands do come area/ improvement. There will be many that won’t make it that have made finals everywhere else as of now. This is probably the most competitive Area F for 5A we will ever have to date, so everyone needs to bring their A game if they want a chance at state. Very excited to see how the cards fold here 

30 minutes ago, Trumpetjock said:

Crowley is 6A. I’m not sure how they got entered as a 5A, but I’m sure it will be corrected. As it stands, the most that could qualify for area F is 24, unless my math is off.

You’re right about that! I just copied off the “official” list and Crowley is misidentified as 5A! So the max is now 24 and only 4 will advance.

On 10/14/2023 at 10:46 PM, BandNerd07 said:

Yeah, I didn't think about that. I didn't get to see their exibition performance, so my predictions might be off. But reallistically, I would have them in the top 3. Aledo and BC are for sure locks, and it's up for grabs between Richland, CH, and Azle. Really wished this area could send more bands to state as stacked as it is. Unfortunately, too many bands from Region 5 did not advance, so we will once again only see 4 bands advance.

I still think I have CH over Richland at the moment, but we will really see in a couple weeks