2023 Birdville Marching Festival (Oct. 14)

celesta

2 minutes ago, Forreal_EuphoniumUp said:

@ViewyBucket Honestly I totally agree, a lot of the “good” bands ended up making finals and Newman Smith was totally robbed of the opportunity. I hope that in the future the judges will be more realistic when it comes to things like this.

I hate to say it, but I think Newman Smith has an unfair disadvantage due to their size. I'm also with y'all and I personally like their performance, and was disappointed to see they didn't make finals. 

Just now, BandNerd07 said:

I hate to say it, but I think Newman Smith has an unfair disadvantage due to their size. I'm also with y'all and I personally like their performance, and was disappointed to see they didn't make finals. 

I think that makes a lot of sense, but really then it boils down to a judging problem. There should be no bias based off of size and they should focus on show quality.

Moving on to other bands, BC beat Aledo in prelims, so they have an opportunity to win this comp and possibly win area in a few weeks. Timberview might be hungry for an area finals spot after seeing how they did today, after beating Cleburne and Joshua. Was also surprised that North Mesquite didn't make finals. I think all of the other placements met my expectations.

Moving on to other bands, BC beat Aledo in prelims, so they have an opportunity to win this comp and possibly win area in a few weeks. Timberview might be hungry for an area finals spot after seeing how they did today, after beating Cleburne and Joshua. Was also surprised that North Mesquite didn't make finals. I think all of the other placements met my expectations.

Totally agree…I had North Mesquite in finals as well

26 minutes ago, Floofyjosue said:

I’m a north mesquite tuba player and was shocked we didn’t make finals since after our performance multiple people had us in their finals placements and after the announcements the head director told us we came in 12th and a assistant director told some of us that we came in 4th in a music category of some sort and 17th in another category so that just confuses me.

Yeah, imo yall should've made finals over Timberview, Summit, and Burleson. Wish yall the best of luck at Area!

In the quick recap format, that's:

1. Burleson Centennial (Visual, GE, Perc)

2. Aledo (Music, CG)

3. Colleyville Heritage

4. Sachse

5. JJ Pearce

6. Chisolm Trail

7. Burleson

8. Brewer

9. Summit

10. Timberview

Also, some notes:

- I watched all of finals and was not particularly surprised with any of the placements.

- Burleson moved up a place in finals (over Brewer).

- Sachse moved up a place in finals (over JJ Pearce).

- I have seen Timberview, Summit, Brewer, and Colleyville Heritage several times this season, and think that they have all made great progress. I feel that Timberview and Brewer have achieved the most self-improvement of those groups.

- Regarding Burleson Centennial, Aledo, Colleyville Heritage, and Richland in looking forward to Area F: I think that right now Burleson Centennial and Aledo are competitive with one another. I'm having a hard time seeing how Colleyville Heritage surges upward and into that mix, but perhaps there is something my unpaid, non-professional eyes and ears are not understanding. Richland's exhibition performance felt pretty flat in terms of energy, and I think if they were ranked they would have been in the top five, at most being competitive with Colleyville Heritage. On the other hand, Richland, to my ears, very clearly had the best winds sonority. If energy is what they lacked, I don't see how they couldn't be competitive with any of Burleson Centennial, Aledo, and Colleyville Heritage.

Some thoughts from a former marcher and band fan...

BC: Outstanding show.  Fun music, strong performance.  Tightest drumline I've ever seen at the HS level.  Very much deserved to finish first.

Sachse: This show is so much fun!  Thought they had a chance to move into Top 3 during finals.

Aledo:  I just don't get it.  I think the issue is that I just don't like their show.  I think technically it's strong, but just not memorable.

2 minutes ago, Anthony V said:

In the quick recap format, that's:

1. Burleson Centennial (Visual, GE, Perc)

2. Aledo (Music, CG)

3. Colleyville Heritage

4. Sachse

5. JJ Pearce

6. Chisolm Trail

7. Burleson

8. Brewer

9. Summit

10. Timberview

Also, some notes:

- I watched all of finals and was not particularly surprised with any of the placements.

- Burleson moved up a place in finals (over Brewer).

- Sachse moved up a place in finals (over JJ Pearce).

- I have seen Timberview, Summit, Brewer, and Colleyville Heritage several times this season, and think that they have all made great progress. I feel that Timberview and Brewer have achieved the most self-improvement of those groups.

- Regarding Burleson Centennial, Aledo, Colleyville Heritage, and Richland in looking forward to Area F: I think that right now Burleson Centennial and Aledo are competitive with one another. I'm having a hard time seeing how Colleyville Heritage surges upward and into that mix, but perhaps there is something my unpaid, non-professional eyes and ears are not understanding. Richland's exhibition performance felt pretty flat in terms of energy, and I think if they were ranked they would have been in the top five, at most being competitive with Colleyville Heritage. On the other hand, Richland, to my ears, very clearly had the best winds sonority. If energy is what they lacked, I don't see how they couldn't be competitive with any of Burleson Centennial, Aledo, and Colleyville Heritage.

🤓