how about gran nats

Is there no IndiBands.com or something? They need there dose of Band-Nerdage so they come to a Texas website? A part of me is ok with that. :P

We've had our own website for about 8 years now. For us bigger band geeks, we like to troll around the other sites for any and all information we can get. Seeing as I'm now a bigger fan of BOA than I am of ISSMA, and since Texas is the 2nd greatest state for marching bands ;) I figured I'd try and stay up to date on the latest happenings in the Texas world.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha....

Indiana and Texas have a competitive yet friendly rivalry, especially the past couple of years.

2002 & 2003 come into mind.

In 2002....

Carmel HS of Indiana flew all the way to Texas to compete at the BOA San Antonio Regional. They took the Outstanding Visual Performance & General Effect captions and won the competition.

In 2003....

Texas took places 1, 2 & 3 and all captions at Grand Nationals Semifinals.

1. Westfield (Outstanding Music Performance)

2. Ronald Reagan (Outstanding General Effect)

3. L.D. Bell (Outstanding Visual Performance)

The healthy rivalry is there. smile.gif

Having a healthy rivalry only makes both sides better for sure, which makes all us spectators winners because we're seeing the very best of this activity. I'm very excited about the large turnout of Texas bands this year. It's going to give me a chance to see some bands I'd only previously seen on video (James Bowie) or haven't seen at all (Connally, Cypress Falls). I think the odds of having 3/4 of the Finals field being from Texas and Indiana are very good. It'll be exciting and I'm waiting patiently to see the lineups once BOA posts them.

And of course I have to throw in my argument in the debate... :D

National Championships:

Indiana - 5

Texas - 2

I'd love to meet some of you guys if you plan on attending Nationals. I'll be with the rest of the IndianaMarching.com crew. We'll be wearing dark blue polo shirts with the IM logo on the front, so come say hello if you happen to see one of us.

QUOTE (sethb811 @ Apr 18 2006, 07:42 AM)

National Championships:

Indiana - 5
Texas - 2

Thats not exactly a fair argument, seeing as well, Grand nationals is in Indiana. And a large number of Texas bands havent started going to somewhat recently. If Grand Nationals were held in Texas, i guarantee you those numbers would be flipped.

Thats not exactly a fair argument, seeing as well, Grand nationals is in Indiana. And a large number of Texas bands havent started going to somewhat recently. If Grand Nationals were held in Texas, i guarantee you those numbers would be flipped.

Trust me, my friend, the whole "If Texas were in Nationals" arguement has been going on before you were even in high school.

Fair arguement??? Actually it is, because Texas bands have had numerous high placements in Grand National Finals. It's not like the opportunities haven't been there. There's a good chance that the winning bands, or bands that were ahead of them, would have shown up to Nationals regardless of the location.

A couple of the Txbands.com people (Michael Bui, Dan Sanchez, and myself) are planning to attend Grand Nationals this year. I'd love to meet up with some of the Indiana Marching.com people! Maybe we'll bring you some full-on screaming Mexican food as a gift ^_^

I'll make an argument for Texas, if only to be fair. :)

Since 2001, Texas bands have had an average Finals placing of 5.3 to Indiana's 6.8 (if I remember correctly), so on average the Texas bands place higher than the Indiana bands.

Don't get me wrong, I love having Grand Nationals in Indiana every year, but I wouldn't be opposed to holding it in Texas once every couple years or so. It'd give me another chance to go down there (I've only been to Texas once). I'm excited about flying down for the Atlanta Super Regional on our off week between ISSMA State Finals and the BOA Indianapolis Regional. Atlanta sounds like it'll be a packed house this year. Sometime in the future I plan to go to the San Antonio Super Regional when I'm a little more financially secure.

Let's also keep in mind that GN used to move around and was not always in Indiana, so not really a fair argument there either. At least, in the 70's and 80's LOL

Am I the only one who's seen all these TX and IN bands live?!?!?

It would be cool for a group of Indiana people to travel to the SA Regional!! :)

Here's the official list...what say all of you now?

Avon H.S. Avon IN

Avon H.S. Avon OH

Bassett H.S. Bassett VA

Beechwood H.S. Ft. Mitchell KY

Bellbrook H.S. Bellbrook OH

Ben Davis H.S. Indianapolis IN

Blackhawk H.S. Beaver Falls PA

Blue Springs H.S. Blue Springs MO

Bourbon County H.S. Paris KY

Brentwood H.S. Brentwood TN

Broken Arrow Sr. H.S. Broken Arrow OK

Brunswick H.S. Brunswick OH

Carlisle H.S. Carlisle OH

Carmel H.S. Carmel IN

Carroll H.S. Dayton OH

Cary H.S. Cary NC

Castle H.S. Newburgh IN

Center Grove H.S. Greenwood IN

Centerville H.S. Centerville OH

Central Crossing H.S. Grove City OH

Central Hardin H.S. Cecilia KY

Clayton H.S. Clayton NC

Cleveland H.S. Cleveland TN

Clinton H.S. Clinton TN

Collinsville H.S. Collinsville IL

Columbus North H.S. Columbus IN

Connally H.S. Austin TX

Croatan H.S. Newport NC

Cypress Falls H.S. Houston TX

Davenport Central H.S. Davenport IA

Eastern H.S. Middletown KY

Farmington Harrison H.S. Farmington Hills MI

Firestone H.S. Akron OH

Francis Howell North H.S. St. Charles MO

Gallatin County H.S. Warsaw KY

Godwin Heights H.S. Wyoming MI

Grandville H.S. Grandville MI

Greeneview H.S. Jamestown OH

Hart County H.S. Munfordville KY

Herscher H.S. Herscher IL

Indian Hill H.S. Cincinnati OH

Jackson Academy Jackson MS

James Bowie H.S. Austin TX

Jenison H.S. Jenison MI

Kennesaw Mountain H.S. Kennesaw GA

Kings H.S. Kings Mills OH

L.D. Bell H.S. Hurst TX

Lake Central H.S. St. John IN

Lake Park H.S. Roselle IL

Lakeland H.S. White Lake MI

Lawrence Central H.S. Indianapolis IN

Lebanon H.S. Lebanon OH

Louisville Male H.S. Louisville KY

Marian Catholic H.S. Chicago Heights IL

Marietta H.S. Marietta OH

Marion County H.S. Lebanon KY

Martinsville H.S. Martinsville IN

Meade County H.S. Brandenburg KY

Mercer County H.S. Harrodsburg KY

Metamora Township H.S. Metamora IL

Miamisburg H.S. Miamisburg OH

Milford H.S. Highland MI

Milford H.S. Milford OH

Moore H.S. Moore OK

Morton H.S. Morton IL

Normal West H.S. Normal IL

Northmont H.S. Clayton OH

Norton H.S. Norton OH

Norwell H.S. Ossian IN

Paul Laurence Dunbar H.S. Lexington KY

Plymouth-Canton Ed. Park Canton MI

Portage Central H.S. Portage MI

Rampart H.S. Colorado Springs CO

Roosevelt H.S. Sioux Falls SD

Seminole H.S. Seminole FL

South Lyon H.S. South Lyon MI

Springboro H.S. Springboro OH

Stephen F. Austin H.S. Sugar Land TX

Summerville H.S. Summerville SC

Tarpon Springs H.S. Tarpon Springs FL

The Woodlands H.S. The Woodlands TX

Tippecanoe H.S. Tipp City OH

Upland H.S. Upland CA

Victor J. Andrew H.S. Tinley Park IL

Walton H.S. Marietta GA

West Johnston H.S. Four Oaks NC

Western Brown H.S. Mt. Orab OH

William Mason H.S. Mason OH

Winston Churchill H.S. San Antonio TX

Wright City H.S. Wright City MO

I do believe Richland was 4A when they attended Grand Nats in 2002. But I could be mistaken.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'm not exactly sure where my compatriot got his information, but let me tell ya, I was awfully excited to be the first 4A from Texas to hit up GN.

And if not, second isn't a bad place, either. :P

QUOTE (HashBrownJM @ Apr 18 2006, 08:34 PM)
Can anyone confirm or deny this?  I'm not exactly sure where my compatriot got his information, but let me tell ya, I was awfully excited to be the first 4A from Texas to hit up GN.

And if not, second isn't a bad place, either. tongue.gif

John B. Connally will in fact be the first 4A Texas band to attend the BOA Grand National Championships. Richland was a 5A school when they went to Grand Nationals in 2001. They were a 4A school only during the 2002-2003 & 2003-2004 school years.

John B. Connally will in fact be the first 4A Texas band to attend the BOA Grand National Championships. Richland was a 5A school when they went to Grand Nationals in 2001. They were a 4A school only during the 2002-2003 & 2003-2004 school years.

Wonderful! Thanks for your help. I'll let everyone at home base know.

QUOTE (MartinHorn @ Apr 23 2006, 06:48 PM)

Why did Carmel fly all the way down here for the regional?

So they could experience the marching band culture here in Texas.

I was told that after Richard Saucedo, Carmel Head Director, judged the 2001 BOA San Antonio Regional, he wanted to take his own band down to Texas because he was so impressed by the quality of bands that he saw.

I thought it was pretty cool to see Carmel down here. Not only did it add stiff competition to the event but it gave us Texans an opportunity to see how marching band is done in other parts of the country.

So they could experience the marching band culture here in Texas.

I was told that after Richard Saucedo, Carmel Head Director, judged the 2001 BOA San Antonio Regional, he wanted to take his own band down to Texas because he was so impressed by the quality of bands that he saw.

I thought it was pretty cool to see Carmel down here. Not only did it add stiff competition to the event but it gave us Texans an opportunity to see how marching band is done in other parts of the country.

While I'm pretty flattered that Carmel came down here to see how marching band was done in Texas, is it accurate to say that only seeing one school shows us how marching band is done in other parts of the country?

I only ask because Carmel seems to be such a force in their own area, are there any bands in their region/area that offer them any competition?

I only ask because Carmel seems to be such a force in their own area, are there any bands in their region/area that offer them any competition?

Lawrence Central, Avon, Center Grove, Homestead, Ben Davis, and Castle to name a few...

Some interesting information...

2003 ISSMA Class A

1. Avon

2. Homestead

3. Center Grove

4. Lawrence Central

5. Carmel

2003 BOA Nationals Indiana Placings

3. Carmel

7. Avon

9. Center Grove

11. Lawrence Central

2004 ISSMA Class A

1. Avon

2. Lawrence Central

3. Ben Davis

4. Homestead

5. Castle

6. Carmel

2004 BOA Nationals Indiana Placings

1. Lawrence Central

3. Carmel

6. Avon

9. Ben Davis

Of course, in 2005, Carmel decided to no longer participate in ISSMA. One could look at their lack of success in ISSMA and their subsequent success in BOA and assume they figured they were being "robbed" in ISSMA. In my own opinion, I believe they deserved their placings in ISSMA, as they had very sub-par performances, whereas after an additional 2-3 weeks of practice, they cleaned it up and had great runs in BOA. I'd feel pretty confident in saying that they could've easily won ISSMA Class A in 2005, as they were much cleaner early this past year than they were the two previous years, but we'll never know, and it looks like they won't be participating in ISSMA again for a while.

Anyway, back to HashBrown's original question. Yes, there are plenty of bands that give them competition in Indiana, and as a spectator it saddens me that they feel the need to no longer compete against some of them, but I'm in no position to judge their decision.

Lawrence Central, Avon, Center Grove, Homestead, Ben Davis, and Castle to name a few...

Some interesting information...

2003 ISSMA Class A

1. Avon

2. Homestead

3. Center Grove

4. Lawrence Central

5. Carmel

2003 BOA Nationals Indiana Placings

3. Carmel

7. Avon

9. Center Grove

11. Lawrence Central

2004 ISSMAClass A

1. Avon

2. Lawrence Central

3. Ben Davis

4. Homestead

5. Castle

6. Carmel

2004 BOA Nationals Indiana Placings

1. Lawrence Central

3. Carmel

6. Avon

9. Ben Davis

Of course, in 2005, Carmel decided to no longer participate in ISSMA. One could look at their lack of success in ISSMA and their subsequent success in BOA and assume they figured they were being "robbed" in ISSMA. In my own opinion, I believe they deserved their placings in ISSMA, as they had very sub-par performances, whereas after an additional 2-3 weeks of practice, they cleaned it up and had great runs in BOA. I'd feel pretty confident in saying that they could've easily won ISSMA Class A in 2005, as they were much cleaner early this past year than they were the two previous years, but we'll never know, and it looks like they won't be participating in ISSMA again for a while.

Anyway, back to HashBrown's original question. Yes, there are plenty of bands that give them competition in Indiana, and as a spectator it saddens me that they feel the need to no longer compete against some of them, but I'm in no position to judge their decision.

Thanks for all the information. I can see where you're coming from, in terms of being "dissed" by Carmel, but I must commend you on being so open-minded.

Again, thanks, and perhaps I'll talk to you all again soon, if we can re-ignite the flame this thread started with. :P