US Bands Yamaha Cup: Converse (San Antonio) - Saturday, October 12, 2019

Hello there! This is shaping up to be a great contest yet again this year!

Saturday, October 12th, 2019

D.W. Rutledge Stadium

900 S. Seguin Rd

Converse TX 78109

Performing Ensembles:

James Madison HS, SA

John B. Alexander HS, Laredo

Veterans Memorial HS (Judson ISD), San Antonio,

Douglas MacArthur HS, SA

L.E.E. HS, SA

Samuel Clemens HS, Schertz

Wagner HS, SA

Harlan HS, SA

Harlandale HS, SA

Marble Falls HS, Marble Falls

John Marshall HS, SA

Hanna HS, Brownsville 

Earl Warren HS, SA

United South HS, Laredo

Luther Burbank HS< SA

Medina Valley HS, Castroville

Lehman HS, Kyle

McCollum HS, SA

Fredericksburg HS, Fredericksburg

Memorial HS, SA

Somerset HS, Somerset

Sidney Lanier HS, SA

Steele HS, Cibolo

Boerne HS, Boerne

Winn HS, Eagle Pass

Boerne-Samuel V. Champion HS, Boerne

Bandera HS, Bandera

John F. Kennedy HS, SA

Antonian HS, SA

Hope to see you there!

• 5 weeks later...

I remember this comp from my freshman year. Hendrickson blew my mind and then Johnson came with Enigmatic and I learned how deep Texas talent can run.

I think top 3 will be

1. Alexander

2. Warren

3. Madison

After that, I don't know the programs competing enough to predict where they'd place.

Anything is possible. I saw Hanna there on the list too. They could possibly be in the top 3 or 4 as well.

Warren has a powerful percussion section and an inspiring color guard. Of course, they lost their percussion director (but seem to keep doing great with their new one). USBands looks at both of those captions pretty closely.

Anything is possible.

Warren has a powerful percussion section and an inspiring color guard. Of course, they lost their percussion director (but seem to keep doing great with their new one). USBands looks at both of those captions pretty closely.

You're right. They'll probably have us in percussion, but our guard won the TECA state championship last year, sooo.... That will be a fun caption to watch.

Warren is in a higher class - Scholastic Open

That's true but our varsity skipped finals this year so our large upperclassmen group could have their only chance to go to prom. This is nothing against warren's group, I'm just trying to say that warren doesn't have that caption in the bag against us. If I remember correctly we won that caption in finals last year against an amazing John. B. Alexander group who was 4 points ahead of us in prelims and finished the year 12 places or so ahead of us at BOA San Antonio. Not saying that we will win that caption again, I am just highly confident in our guard. They are on a roll this year from what I've seen. Warren's band is great. At one point in time I was zoned for Warren and in fact lived within walking distance of campus. I went to Evers Elementary for two years -- let's just say I've moved a lot.

I don't mean to make anyone mad with this post -- just trying to have a friendly discussion. I'm a trombone player, and if I remember correctly, my sophomore and junior years they had a trombone player advance to state, and iI remember them singling this guy out during halftime when we met them in the first round of playoffs last year. It was really cool. It was also cool getting to watch them perform their UIL still even though both of our seasons had already ended.

I know the placements between at least us two will be very close -- Warren placed just two places below us at the super regional last year. Depending on the improvements of our bands we could even be much closer or even better than JBA. Who knows. These things are completely(Almost) subjective anyways. I'm definitely excited for this first competition of the season, as it sets the stage for what our season is to come. 

That's true but our varsity skipped finals this year so our large upperclassmen group could have their only chance to go to prom. This is nothing against warren's group, I'm just trying to say that warren doesn't have that caption in the bag against us. If I remember correctly we won that caption in finals last year against an amazing John. B. Alexander group who was 4 points ahead of us in prelims and finished the year 12 places or so ahead of us at BOA San Antonio. Not saying that we will win that caption again, I am just highly confident in our guard. They are on a roll this year from what I've seen. Warren's band is great. At one point in time I was zoned for Warren and in fact lived within walking distance of campus. I went to Evers Elementary for two years -- let's just say I've moved a lot.

I don't mean to make anyone mad with this post -- just trying to have a friendly discussion. I'm a trombone player, and if I remember correctly, my sophomore and junior years they had a trombone player advance to state, and iI remember them singling this guy out during halftime when we met them in the first round of playoffs last year. It was really cool. It was also cool getting to watch them perform their UIL still even though both of our seasons had already ended.

I know the placements between at least us two will be very close -- Warren placed just two places below us at the super regional last year. Depending on the improvements of our bands we could even be much closer or even better than JBA. Who knows. These things are completely(Almost) subjective anyways. I'm definitely excited for this first competition of the season, as it sets the stage for what our season is to come.

Good stuff! No harm or bad will intended at all :)

Good mix of bands in the contest. I'm excited about seeing everyone and see more of the JBA show. This is another strong year for them and they're definitely progressing, if they continue with this stride they're definitely going to give it a run for finals at BOA super regional in SA this year. Good luck to everyone. 

• 2 weeks later...