What makes a brass section good?

The title pretty much says all, but as a senior band student who has just returned from the State Marching Contest, I’ve been thinking about this a lot. My band’s woodwind program was fairly strong, largely due to the fact that we had many talented players. My woodwind director also regularly tested the students on how well they could play technical passages, so in the end I understand it amounts to individual accountability. But the brass, on the other hand, having nowhere near as much technique as the woodwinds, were never held to quite that standard. Obviously, having attacks and releases together, being in tune, playing loud AND good... those are all things a brass section needs to be successful. But how can directors ensure that every student is doing their part? Do other bands test their brass players much like my director did the woodwinds? If anyone is/was a student of one of the top bands, or has any sort of advice/experience, feel free to comment! Coming from a band with not the strongest brass section, I’m just curious as to how directors can efficiently ensure everyone is doing their part.

Does your director also have each of the kids in private lessons? That makes a huge difference as well and all of the top Texas programs pretty much require this. I do think it helps!

Most of the high school kids take private lessons, but it’s not required. It’s pretty varied- some of the middle schools in my area don’t even stress lessons prior to high school, while it’s almost mandatory for others in order to be successful. I agree that must have a huge impact!

A band having strong woodwinds but not strong brass has both to do with the background of the band directors and the strength of the private lesson staff.  It also has to do with how band directors place students in the beginning, including their strong/smart students and those with some kind of previous music backgrounds.  Some directors believe the dumb kids should be on low brass and percussion (which will weaken your brass and percussion section), but some schools require piano background to be on percussion, which can be a drawback because your piano background kids will likely be among your strongest students, especially if they had more than 2 years of it, and thus should be allowed to spread more among your band.

But really the attributes that go into making a good brass section are the same for woodwinds.  What gets done in 6th grade sets the pace for future success.  The 6th graders need to all be capable of producing big full brass sounds that sound characteristic of the instrument they play by the end of their 6th grade year.  Every other attribute (technique, range, articulation, flexibility, intonation) will be acquired with experience, but the tone quality and sounding like your instrument should sound (as though a pro were playing it) at an early age is most important.  If your brass beginner teachers weren't able to achieve this it will affect the makeup of the brass section in your high school band.

A band having strong woodwinds but not strong brass has both to do with the background of the band directors and the strength of the private lesson staff. It also has to do with how band directors place students in the beginning, including their strong/smart students and those with some kind of previous music backgrounds. Some directors believe the dumb kids should be on low brass and percussion (which will weaken your brass and percussion section), but some schools require piano background to be on percussion, which can be a drawback because your piano background kids will likely be among your strongest students, especially if they had more than 2 years of it, and thus should be allowed to spread more among your band.

But really the attributes that go into making a good brass section are the same for woodwinds. What gets done in 6th grade sets the pace for future success. The 6th graders need to all be capable of producing big full brass sounds that sound characteristic of the instrument they play by the end of their 6th grade year. Every other attribute (technique, range, articulation, flexibility, intonation) will be acquired with experience, but the tone quality and sounding like your instrument should sound (as though a pro were playing it) at an early age is most important. If your brass beginner teachers weren't able to achieve this it will affect the makeup of the brass section in your high school band.

That makes sense! A full brass sound is definitely important, especially since that contributes to most of the band (compared to the woodwinds).Thanks so much for the feedback; it was really informational and helpful! :)