Lone Star Cup

LostChoirGuy

I had never heard of this before. Apparently UIL does a competition every year where each school's results from all qualifying sports/activities are tallied together and then schools are ranked based on their classification.

Rules can be found here: https://www.uiltexas.org/lone-star-cup/rules

Last year's results are found here: https://www.uiltexas.org/press-releases/detail/2017-18-uil-lone-star-cup-winners-announced

Since marching band accounts for part of the score, I thought I would bring it up. It is also interesting to see which schools are good at both band and many sporting activities and those that have great sporting teams but havent developed strong competitive band programs. I only linked to 6A, but there are links on the page to get to other classifications as well.

It's a pretty cool deal, but not nearly as well publicized as state championships.  Because it requires strong performance overall, it does favor the schools with resources to pour into the full range of UIL activities (athletics, arts, and academics).  Unfortunately, only marching band represents music in the LSC scoring, and choir and orchestra are completely left out.  Concert & Sight Reading doesn't have a state championship ranking process, so there's no way to have that competition generate points.  Honor Band/Orchestra/Choir and All-State are run by TMEA, not UIL, so they don't factor in to LSC.  I do think they could incorporate State Solo & Ensemble into the scoring by awarding points to schools when they have students earn Outstanding Performer.