Double-Tounging

TRtrumpet

Well, there are many ways to work on double-tonguing. For starters, you need to do know HOW to double tongue. Say the syllables "tu-ku-tu-ku" over and over again without the horn or mouthpiece. Once you get this done, start with the mouthpiece, and then with the horn. Basically, you can turn any exercise into a double tonguing exercise (i.e. playing a scale up and down, and double tonguing a rhythm on each note). First, you should start out slowly double tonguing on a single note, and gradually get to the point where you can double tongue at faster tempos. After you are comfortable with this, you should double tongue on different notes (for example, articulating the "tu" syllable on an F and articulating the "ku" syllable on a G). You should try to practice double tonguing as much as possible if you're a beginner, so that you can build this important skill. I'm not an expert per se, and I'm sure other people will comment on this topic, but I hoped that I help you at least a little bit.

- mm

I've seen lots of high school bands do double tounging, or at least realllyy fast tounging in their show. How do you learn to do that. I can toung fast enough, just not double tounging fast. So is there a lip exercise or something I can do to help me learn.

sometimes you have it naturally, sometimes you gotta work on it, like mindfulmusician said "tu-ku-tu-ku" is the way to say it, i double tongue on Alto Sax a lot because i cant tongue that fast really

you could try alternating the tu's and ku's

do like this, 4 eigth notes and a quater note, on any note, starting at about 90bpm and gradually increasing.

tu-tu-tu-tu--tu

ku-ku-ku-ku--ku

ku-tu-ku-tu--ku

tu-ku-tu-ku--tu

then you can add it to scale patterns.

you could also try using different sounds.

du-gu, da-ga, whatever.

or my band director says to make a sort of "que" sound on the ku/gu part.

whatever you try, make sure you use plenty of AIR. they don't need to be short, unless marked other wise. play them long and connected. Keep your tongue close to the front and your mouth open, but not too open.

then you can play Concert Etude or Carnival of Venice! two of my favorite pieces.

i have an excersize on double tonguing, but i lent it to my friend last year... maybe i can get it back from him and scan it and send it to you.... Or you could buy and Arban Book. its considered the "Trumpet Bible" and i'm pretty sure thats were my old private lesson teacher copied it from.

• 1 year later...
Another tip- put an accent on the ku syllable while you practice. That makes the back of your tongue stronger and more precise. Ex: tu-KU-tu-KU

Highly agree with the one before me. Doing this actually will help you tremendously when you learn to triple tongue....I had a lot of trouble with speed when I was first learning to triple tongue and by accenting the KU-sound, I was able to get a lot more definition to each note, plus it gave my tongue a bit of a "springboard" which allowed me to increase my speed.

In multiple-tonguing, your non-tongued syllables need to have just as much definition as your tongued ones. You cannot achieve this without enacting a harsher KU-sound in practice.

i think it helps to have a shallower mouthpiece

I REALLY wouldn't recommend switching mouthpieces.

My lesson teacher, Dr. H.D. Smith made me practice doing scales and the stuff from the first few pages out of the Arbans book just on the "ku" or "ga" (depending on what you play) syllable. If you can make the "ku" sound as good as the "tu" then combining it won't be much harder.

I started really working on double tonguing second semester of my sophomore year, and I can do it pretty well now. I mean, I auditioned for bands with it, and I got my full points for doing articulation at 132. :-D

Anyway, I recommend just doing a lot of easy scale/method things with your tonguing. Approach it like you would anything else (like vibrato and range).

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I've seen lots of high school bands do double tounging, or at least realllyy fast tounging in their show. How do you learn to do that. I can toung fast enough, just not double tounging fast. So is there a lip exercise or something I can do to help me learn.

here is a site for double tonguing

http://www.trumpetguild.org//itgyouth/mast...s/blackmore.htm

it helped me a lot with double tonguing

especially when i had to get really good, really fast at it