2014 BOA San Antonio Super-Regional Predictions

Jbl3770

Oh, lord. Calm down. We'll see in a few minutes whether or not I misspoke.

I don't need to calm down when we're already discrediting the judges on all their work judging this contest for us and having to assign numbers to all those amazing performances.  Show me these strong opinions that cloud their field of judgment and I'll buy it, other wise, I'd like to think that they know what they're doing and wouldn't let preconceived assumptions or opinions make decisions for them.  I swear, first it was UIL, now it's BOA, next it'll be WGI, and after that it'll be DCI, judges can never get it right for some people.  

Ryan George writes for Leander. I think we all know who he is, he writes for Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, and James Bowie as well. The head guard director for Leander is a guard director for Round Rock too. Oh the similarities....

Jeremy Hunt writes Anderson's drill and Ryan George arranges for them too. (They beat Round Rock, Westlake, and Hendrickson at Area D prelims... And we all know how crazy finals were)

Congrats to all the finalists tonight!! Probably the hardest marching band competition of the country.

I don't need to calm down when we're already discrediting the judges on all their work judging this contest for us and having to assign numbers to all those amazing performances.  Show me these strong opinions that cloud their field of judgment and I'll buy it, other wise, I'd like to think that they know what they're doing and wouldn't let preconceived assumptions or opinions make decisions for them.  I swear, first it was UIL, now it's BOA, next it'll be WGI, and after that it'll be DCI, judges can never get it right for some people.  

Of course the judges never get it right! It's totally subjective, and everyone has his own opinion. People will rarely agree 100% with rankings and whatnot. Heck, I don't even disagree with these rankings! Just the gaps. Also, I neither said nor implied that strong opinions "clouded" any judgments. And yes, you do need to calm down.

Of course the judges never get it right! It's totally subjective, and everyone has his own opinion. People will rarely agree 100% with rankings and whatnot. Heck, I don't even disagree with these rankings! Just the gaps. Also, I neither said nor implied that strong opinions "clouded" any judgments. And yes, you do need to calm down.

We'll agree to disagree then. 

Prelims Top 20:

1)  Leander - 93.0

2)  Marcus - 92.15

3)  The Woodlands - 91.8

4)  Claudia Taylor Johnson - 91.8

5)  James Bowie - 91.45

6)  Hebron - 91.25

7)  Flower Mound - 90.6

8)  LD Bell - 89.85

9)  Ronald Reagan - 89.55

10)  Vandegrift - 88.85

11)  Cedar Park - 87.0

12)  Round Rock - 86.85

13)  Vista Ridge - 85.95

14)  Westlake - 85.7

15)  Hendrickson - 85.1

16)  Richland - 84.45

17)  Friendswood - 84.3

18)  Keller - 83.3

19)  Berkner - 83.15

20)  Keller Central - 83.05

What a contest! Here are some of my thoughts (I apologize, this may be lengthy):

Congrats to CTJ on their first BOA Super Regional championship, and a well deserved one at that! It's awesome to see them finally medal, and it happened to be a gold! Don't know that I agree with them winning visual, but that GE win was very well deserved! Those kids really sold that show! Not to mention their phenomenal brass sound was super impressive!

Bowie had an unbelievable finals run! I was rather unimpressed with them in prelims (at least in comparison to the other top groups), but MAN did they step it up tonight! In my personal opinion, they were the best band in finals. They are going to make some serious noise at State this Tuesday if they perform the way they did tonight. Congrats to Bowie on their Silver!

Leander actually did it. They medaled. YESSSS!!! I can only imagine how excited they are, what a fantastic finish to a great year for them! Like many others, Leander had my favorite show of the year. Hearing them seamlessly transition into Somewhere Over the Rainbow never got old all year! Just amazing stuff! Can't wait to see what the future holds in store for these guys.

Marcus is just incredible, as they have been for nearly a decade. Happy to see them get the recognition in music they deserve this year! After what I saw today, I'll be surprised if they don't walk away with State Championship #5 this Tuesday.

The Woodlands and Hebron finished within .5 of each other. Again. It's pretty cool seeing these two go at it like that! And as for their placements, I don't know how I feel. Part of me thinks that there's no way they should have placed as low as they did (especially considering I thought they were both clear picks for the top 3 after prelims, heck I was convinced Hebron was going to win it all), but the other part of me understands why after watching finals. This whole top 6 group is just down-right legendary, probaby the most memorable top tier group in this contest's history for me. It's been something special watching them compete with each other. I like that all 6 of them were the ones to break 90. There's something about that that just feels right.

This is already getting super long, so I'll put the rest of my thoughts on another post just so this doesn't take up a whole page...

I'm so happy for Leander. Great, great program this year. Prelims champ!

Interesting that one Music GE judge gave Marcus a 16.8, while the other gave them an 18.7. A similar situation happened with Hebron in music GE, where they received a 19 and a 17.5. Speaking of Hebron, they were clobbered in visual performance, which seems a bit extreme, though I agree that the visual was a bit of an Achilles' heel. The surprising gaps in finals are pretty easily explained by the fact that you've got judges handing out scores like 16.8 to one group in that top cluster, while handing out 19+ scores to others. Huh?

Also, Flower Mound was 7th in prelims. So much for GE being king at BOA! (Take that, critics of GE!) Even though they dropped considerably in finals, I think they'll be fine at nationals. A truly wonderful show.

My Recap Breakdown for Finals Everyone!  Some quick highlights before.  

Hebron 13th in Visual in finals.

I might be eating some Crow Mr. Rubisco, because those GE Music 1 Rankings are pretty wack, as is the whole Music Effect sub-caption 1 and 2 from finals.  

Marcus was 12th from the Music Effect 1 judge (ARE YOU KIDDING?) and 2nd from the Music Effect 2 Judge.  Flower Mound 14th in Music Effect 1, 4th in Music Effect 2.  James Bowie 1st from Music Effect 1, 7th from Music Effect 2, Johnson 1st and 6th.  Cedar Park was 2nd in Over Musical Effect.  Leander was 5th in Music Effect 1, and 13th in Music Effect 2.  Hebron wast 2nd and 9th.  LD Bell 4th and 12th.  HUGE disagreements here.  The Woodlands were 10th from both Music Effect Judges.  

Cedar Park ties for 2nd in GE with James Bowie.  

Very surprised at The Woodlands GE scores, I thought that along with Visual, they'd be pretty strong.  Interesting.  

Flower Mounds prelims to finals GE ordinals:

Music 1 - 2nd/14th

Music 2 - 7th/4th 

Visual - 4th/12th

They didn't even win one in prelims, and won overall effect, and then were at the bottom and close in 2 in finals.  Oi Vey.  

Leander was 1st to 13th in all captions.  Wow.  1st in Visual Effect was VERY well deserved in my eyes, well done!  After two disappointing near misses last year, this has to be some insanely good validation.  Congrats Leander, I think everyone knew you would be up there, and you were for sure.  Will be remembered for a LONG time!  

I might do prelims....I dunno.  I don't know if my mind could break that all down. We'll see, anyways here you go!  One of the craziest all over the place recaps I've seen.  Had Leander not gotten that Music Effect 2 score....I dunno.  Hebron was pretty consistently towards the top besides Visual.  Anyways, congrats to everyone!  I'll say it again, the best marching contest I've ever watched.  

20141102-9g6-71kb.jpg

Alright, here's the continuation of my thoughts:

Cedar Park was so close to Hebron and The Woodlands! Wow! I've always had a ton of respect for how Cedar Park just marches and plays, executing it all at such a high level. They sounded absolutely amazing tonight, and I'm a huge fan of how well they did. I felt the judges really got this one right.

LD Bell showed why they should be going to State (I definitely think they be a finalist if they were to go). Such a great performance from them! Those trombones were so amazing! Nothing but respect for Bell...

Reagan always makes such a huge improvement from the start of the season to the end. Nothing short of impressive. Those singers were pretty amazing also!

I thought Vandergrift sounded even better than they did last year. I really dug their show! I think they've certainly proven that they have what it takes to be a consistent finalist in the coming years.

Round Rock blew the doors off the stadium with that LOUD in-your-face sound. I really wish I could have experienced it live as opposed to on the stream. But even on video you could tell how powerful they were, and it was awesome!

Westlake's brass never ceases to impress me. They are such a strong musical group, and they were fun to watch as always. They should do well at State.

Yeah, Flower Mound really should have placed higher in my opinion, but whatever. I love this show they are taking to Grand Nationals (I definitely expect to see them in finals there). Easily one of the most visually interesting programs of the year, hands down.

And finally, a HUGE congrats to vista Ridge on their first BOA SA finals performance! Like Cedar Park, they are just so good at simply marching and playing and executing it all at such a high level. The guard was stunning, and the band sounded fantastic. Can't wait to see more from these guys!

This competition made my jaw drop several times. All 14 of the finalists were amazing, and I'll be remembering this finals for a long time. Congrats, and great job to everyone that participated!

On a side note, I'm going to also predict that Leander places first in visual GE. 

Man, I am too good. ;)

On a serious note, it really looks like the judges came in and tried to be as unbiased as possible and didn't judge based on rep. Cedar Park in 3rd for both music GE judges? I would never have expected that, so congrats to them. It seems though that the MGE judges disagreed on everything else. I guess they kind of balanced each other out though? One low and one high score for each of the top bands pretty much. It definitely seemed like GE scores increased as the night went on too. If you just glaze down the GE column on the right hand side, it almost uniformly increases.  Performance order definitely played a pretty big role. 

And like everyone else, I'm shocked at Flower Mound's placement. For a band to win GE in prelims and then drop to 12th in GE in finals is a bit... funny. But I guess their music performance could have hurt them. I think performing right after Leander didn't help, and had they gone towards the end of the night I bet they would've scored higher. I don't think they will have any trouble making GN finals though. Their show is great and if it sticks out enough in a 64 band prelims to win GE, it'll stick out in GN semi-finals as well. 

So basically, all of the weird judging evened out and created (pretty much) expected, reasonable placements.