BOA Austin Regional - 9-27

Here is the schedule as of 9/5 for the BOA Austin Regional on 9/27.  This contest is absolutely stacked.  There are 26 bands on the schedule and I would say over half of them have a legitimate shot at being a finalist.

9:15 AM  - Cuero HS - Cuero, TX

9;30 AM  - Westwood HS - Austin, TX

9:45 AM  - Cinco Ranch HS - Katy, TX

10:00 AM - John B. Connally HS - Austin, TX

10:15 AM - Vandegrift HS - Austin, TX

10:30 AM - Hendrickson HS - Pflugerville, TX

10:45 AM - Aledo HS - Aledo, TX

11:00AM - Cedar Park HS - Cedar Park, TX

LUNCH

12:00 PM - Ronald Reagan HS - San Antonio, TX

12:15 PM - Vista Ridge HS - Cedar Park, TX

12:30 PM - Leander HS - Leander, TX

12:45 PM - Pflugerville HS - Pflugerville, TX

1:00 PM - Earl Warren HS - San Antonio, TX

1:15 PM - Anderson HS - Austin, TX

1:30 PM - Cedar Ridge HS - Round Rock, TX

1:45 PM - Westlake HS - Austin, TX

2:00 PM - Sandra Day O'Connor HS - Helotes, TX

BREAK

2:45 PM - Lehman HS - Kyle, TX

3:00 PM - Dripping Springs HS - Dripping Springs, TX

3:15 PM - Round Rock HS - Round Rock, TX

3:30 PM - James E. Taylor HS - Katy, TX

3:45 PM - McCallum HS - Austin, TX

4:00 PM - Wakeland HS - Frisco, TX

4:15 PM - East View HS - Georgetown, TX

4:30 PM - James Bowie HS - Austin, TX

Finals placements are so incredibly difficult to predict for this regional. There are 5 grand national finalists attending that have made it since 2010 + vandegrift (would have also made it last year imo), westlake, leander, and some others.

My finalist predictions in order:

1) James Bowie - They're consistently the strongest group early on and beat every one of these bands at SA last year. Their tendency to be clean right out of the gate makes me believe that they'll win Austin again this year.

2) Round Rock - Almost winning both performance captions in GN semi-finals last year bodes well, but I'm not sure if that'll translate to an early season win. They certainly have the potential, but they were the definition of late-peaking last year so I think they'll slide in at 2nd and perhaps snag a caption.

3) Cedar Ridge - 5th in GN semi-finals last year also bodes well for this group. They placed 8th at BOA Austin last year but 3rd at Conroe (+music cap.) so I'm not sure how they'll do. They're one of the top groups in Texas for music performance in my opinion but they also peaked late last year. They improve enormous amounts each season and I think that trend will continue. (Nearly positive they'll win BOA SoCal.)

4) Vandegrift - Last year was Vandegrift's year for sure. Music at SA and 4A state champion, Vandegrift's only issue now is their director change. Of course they may place higher, and could even win, but it all depends how clean they are by this point. They typically are pretty strong at the start of the season compared to some of these other groups.

5) Cedar Park - They're already looking better than last year, and last year they still did very well. They have the potential to steal class AAA away from Vandegrift.

6) Westlake - They made SA finals and placed 6th at Austin last year as well. I think they'll do decently well, but could potentially fall below bands like Reagan or Leander.

7) Ronald Reagan - Their 7th place finish at Conroe last year makes me think they'll have  a slow start again. By San Antonio they'll probably be as strong as ever, but Austin is a very early regional.

8) Leander - I've seen some videos from their show and I really enjoy it. They're using the same music that Avon did last year in their opener, and being the first band out of finals at SA last year, I think they're going to place pretty well.

9) Anderson - They placed 7th last year at Austin above Cedar Ridge, so they have the capability to do some damage.

10) Vista Ridge - Their bronze medal at UIL last year makes me think that they'll squeak in at #10. Of course, this spot could easily go to a number of other groups.

Other potential finalists:

- Pflugerville

- Wakeland

- Southwest

- Hendrickson

- James E. Taylor

- Connally

This is going to be an extremely tough regional. The big question is going to be the fact that it is so early in the season. Most shows probably won't go much (if at all) past their ballad, most body work won't be in, many props won't exist yet, etc. But every band will be excited and still give it everything they have.

6 of these bands have been BOA Grand National Finalists before.

It's going to be a tough competition. I can't wait to see Cedar Ridge and Round Rock Highschool placements Saturday.

I watched one of Round Rocks practices the other day and it was pretty scary looking at how many people they are marching. Very loud no doubt, although i'm not sure i'm feeling the disney theme they've been doing lately. I can't imagine how hard it is to clean their drill with 200+ marchers.

And Cedar Ridge, wow. They just added props on the field, (I am very uncertain what they are supposed to be though..) but it sure is interesting. With minor drill problems they look really good in the standings. They sure proved themselves last year, I hope they do it again.

Can't wait to see these 2 Grand Nationals Finalist groups perform. Goodluck to them both!

Finals placements are so incredibly difficult to predict for this regional. There are 5 grand national finalists attending that have made it since 2010 + vandegrift (would have also made it last year imo), westlake, leander, and some others.

1) James Bowie - They're consistently the strongest group early on and beat every one of these bands at SA last year. Their tendency to be clean right out of the gate makes me believe that they'll win Austin again this year.

2) Round Rock - Almost winning both performance captions in GN semi-finals last year bodes well, but I'm not sure if that'll translate to an early season win. They certainly have the potential, but they were the definition of late-peaking last year so I think they'll slide in at 2nd and perhaps snag a caption.

3) Cedar Ridge - 5th in GN semi-finals last year also bodes well for this group. They placed 8th at BOA Austin last year but 3rd at Conroe (+music cap.) so I'm not sure how they'll do. They're one of the top groups in Texas for music performance in my opinion but they also peaked late last year. They improve enormous amounts each season and I think that trend will continue. (Nearly positive they'll win BOA SoCal.)

4) Vandegrift - Last year was Vandegrift's year for sure. Music at SA and 4A state champion, Vandegrift's only issue now is their director change. Of course they may place higher, and could even win, but it all depends how clean they are by this point. They typically are pretty strong at the start of the season compared to some of these other groups.

5) Cedar Park - They're already looking better than last year, and last year they still did very well. They have the potential to steal class AAA away from Vandegrift.

6) Westlake - They made SA finals and placed 6th at Austin last year as well. I think they'll do decently well, but could potentially fall below bands like Reagan or Leander.

7) Ronald Reagan - Their 7th place finish at Conroe last year makes me think they'll have  a slow start again. By San Antonio they'll probably be as strong as ever, but Austin is a very early regional.

8) Leander - I've seen some videos from their show and I really enjoy it. They're using the same music that Avon did last year in their opener, and being the first band out of finals at SA last year, I think they're going to place pretty well.

9) Anderson - They placed 7th last year at Austin above Cedar Ridge, so they have the capability to do some damage.

10) Vista Ridge - Their bronze medal at UIL last year makes me think that they'll squeak in at #10. Of course, this spot could easily go to a number of other groups.

- Pflugerville

- Wakeland

- Southwest

- Hendrickson

- James E. Taylor

- Connally

Don't count out Dripping Springs. Mr. Lancaster always has a strong bunch

• 3 weeks later...

7) Ronald Reagan - Their 7th place finish at Conroe last year makes me think they'll have a slow start again. By San Antonio they'll probably be as strong as ever, but Austin is a very early regional.

- Pflugerville

- Wakeland

- Southwest

- Hendrickson

- James E. Taylor

- Connally