Texas Bands @ BOA Nationals 2013

I know that 2012 BOA Grand Nationals hasn't even started yet, but I'm curious to see how many bands from Texas already know that they want to make the trip next year. I hope it's a lot, since this year and last year have been sort of dry attendance-wise for Texas. I'm thinking The Woodlands is a sure thing, since they go every other year. I'm thinking maybe Marcus, too, if they're on the once-every-4-years schedule. Can anyone from Marcus confirm that they're planning the trip? How about CTJ, LD Bell, and Cedar Park? I'm really hoping that Hebron and Round Rock attend soon, since I think they'd be strong contenders for finalist spots.

I know that 2012 BOA Grand Nationals hasn't even started yet, but I'm curious to see how many bands from Texas already know that they want to make the trip next year. I hope it's a lot, since this year and last year have been sort of dry attendance-wise for Texas. I'm thinking The Woodlands is a sure thing, since they go every other year. I'm thinking maybe Marcus, too, if they're on the once-every-4-years schedule. Can anyone from Marcus confirm that they're planning the trip? How about CTJ, LD Bell, and Cedar Park? I'm really hoping that Hebron and Round Rock attend soon, since I think they'd be strong contenders for finalist spots.

I know Round Rock and Anderson both want to go next year.

Are they in the same school district? I know they're both from central Texas. I hope they get to make the trip. I think both of them have a shot at finals if they put everything they've got into their shows next year.

Round Rock is in RRISD with Cedar Ridge and three other schools. Anderson is in Austin ISD with Bowie, Westlake and a good five or six more.

So there's this one band that I'm fairly sure is going next year. They would really hope to make finals and if they do, it would mark their first finals appearance at Grand Nats in 20 years. Hopefully, I'm not being too painfully obvious... :P

Okay, so Spring, The Woodlands, Round Rock, and Anderson. Well, that's already more than we have going this year! Hopefully they all follow through with their plans. Anybody know about Marcus, Bell, Cedar Park, and maybe even Hebron? You can tell I'm hoping for a perfect storm of Texas bands next year. Then again, maybe no more than 6 or 7 should go, since they'll start knocking each other's chances at finals, and I'm sure they all want a good shot at finals!

I'm assuming Tarpon Springs and Kennesaw Mountain will sit next year out since they're going this year. Does anyone know if PCEP is planning on returning? Haven't they sat some nationals out recently?

Okay, so Spring, The Woodlands, Round Rock, and Anderson. Well, that's already more than we have going this year! Hopefully they all follow through with their plans. Anybody know about Marcus, Bell, Cedar Park, and maybe even Hebron? You can tell I'm hoping for a perfect storm of Texas bands next year. Then again, maybe no more than 6 or 7 should go, since they'll start knocking each other's chances at finals, and I'm sure they all want a good shot at finals!

I'm assuming Tarpon Springs and Kennesaw Mountain will sit next year out since they're going this year. Does anyone know if PCEP is planning on returning? Haven't they sat some nationals out recently?

Tarpon will not be there. They have Rose Bowl. I bet PCEP will be there.

I have heard from a few Marcus people that they will be going to Grand Nationals next year. They get a trip every four years and next year is trip year!

This is going to make a lot of spectators happy next year! Okay, so, Marcus, The Woodlands, Spring, Round Rock, Anderson, and maybe Hebron. Just add Bell! Just add Bell!

I'm thinking about out-of-state bands that are for sure locks for finals on any given year. Those bands would be Avon, Carmel, Marian Catholic, and Broken Arrow. I'd like to include Lawrence Central, but they've been inconsistent recently, and CTJ demonstrated last year that it's possible for a first time Texas group to overtake a perennial finalist in national finals. Adding Marcus and TW as probable locks for finals, that leaves 6 spots available for groups like Lawrence Central, Center Grove, PCEP, William Mason, Union and Owasso (if they decide to go), and the other Texas groups. I usually give finalist edges to groups that sound better, since music contributes more to a band's score. I accurately predicted that Wando would be in finals last year and that Harrison would make finals (whenever they made it the first time) based on music alone.

My advice to Texas groups wanting to make finals at nationals is as follows: sound as good or better as you've been sounding, and perform a show that has some demand, but is easy enough that you can get it cleaner than any show you've done so far. If anything will kick a borderline TX group out of finals contention, it is going to be visual performance. Oh, and maybe GE, too. :P

Okay, Cedar Ridge is stongly considering making the trip.

So many awesome groups! I hope they all follow through with their plans. If all of these groups go and perform at a level similar to this year, we'll see at least one (maybe even more) new Texas group in finals. It's only fitting that on the 10th anniversary of the year Texas dominated nationals that we send most of our brightest stars! Of course, I'm not so naive that I think the top three will all be TX groups like in 2003 semis; the level of competition is too high these days. But maybe, just maybe, a new Texas national champion?

Marcus and The Woodlands, we're looking at you!!!!

Just think, Marcus, The Woodlands, Avon, Broken Arrow, Carmel, and (Maybe) LD Bell. ALL AT THE SAME COMPETITION! HOW COULD ANYONE POSSIBLY RANK THEM?!? Thats the 3 top bands from Texas, the top band from Oklahoma, and the 2 top bands from Indiana. And every one of them has the possibility of bringing that Eagle home.

This is going to make a lot of spectators happy next year! Okay, so, Marcus, The Woodlands, Spring, Round Rock, Anderson, and maybe Hebron. Just add Bell! Just add Bell!

I'm thinking about out-of-state bands that are for sure locks for finals on any given year. Those bands would be Avon, Carmel, Marian Catholic, and Broken Arrow. I'd like to include Lawrence Central, but they've been inconsistent recently, and CTJ demonstrated last year that it's possible for a first time Texas group to overtake a perennial finalist in national finals. Adding Marcus and TW as probable locks for finals, that leaves 6 spots available for groups like Lawrence Central, Center Grove, PCEP, William Mason, Union and Owasso (if they decide to go), and the other Texas groups. I usually give finalist edges to groups that sound better, since music contributes more to a band's score. I accurately predicted that Wando would be in finals last year and that Harrison would make finals (whenever they made it the first time) based on music alone.

My advice to Texas groups wanting to make finals at nationals is as follows: sound as good or better as you've been sounding, and perform a show that has some demand, but is easy enough that you can get it cleaner than any show you've done so far. If anything will kick a borderline TX group out of finals contention, it is going to be visual performance. Oh, and maybe GE, too. :P

Well SURPRISE!!! L.D. BELL is going to Grand Nationals NEXT YEAR !!!!!!

Also BOA San Antonio was a real competition (the wood lands bell and marcus) ^_^ real competition

Well SURPRISE!!! L.D. BELL is going to Grand Nationals NEXT YEAR !!!!!!

Also BOA San Antonio was a real competition (the wood lands bell and marcus) ^_^ real competition

Mother of God. A perfect storm, the likes of which has never been seen. I will need to fly to Indianapolis next year.

Mother of God. A perfect storm, the likes of which has never been seen. I will need to fly to Indianapolis next year.

Well, this is sort of what happened in 2009. Bell, Marcus, The Woodlands ,and Bowie all made the trip. What makes 2013 so exciting for me is the fact that even more bands than usual seem to want to go, and many of them have a shot at making finals for the first time. I like tallying up the total number of different national finalists Texas has produced over the years. I think it's at 13 or something right now.