2012 5A State Marching Contest

To be upfront, I am a Rowlett alum with two siblings who are/were in the program as well, so I'm plenty bias.

But can anyone break down how Rowlett is not making finals at state when they consistently outperform others in their area who consistantly make finals? There seem to be lots of talk about how this particular band is old and developed and this other band made finals in years past, etc etc. Shouldn't they just judge based on what they see and hear on the field?

I have not seen the scoresheets, only the summary posted on the UIL website. But I was at state starting around 1:30 and thought that Rowlett outperformed some of the bands that we saw that made finals. Rowlett plays for the majority of its show without any long drum or dance breaks to give everyone's chops a rest. They sounded like you we're listening to a concert hall, again, in my opinion.

So can anyone enlighten me on how two of the judges can look at Rowlett's state performance and rank them 24th?? I do know that all kids in all bands play their hearts out, it's just disheartening to follow the Rowlett band for so long and see them improve as such a young program and never make finals. I joined TxBands just to ask this question, hope I wasn't too abrasive. I thought all the bands looked great, I just thought Rowlett knocked it out of the park.

Any thoughts?

TXMarchingMadness responded to this very eloquently, but I want to add my two cents since I've followed the Rowlett program since they first started going to State consistently. They're definitely sentimental favorites of mine.....Mr. Alvarado is awesome and they typically have some of my favorite shows in the DFW area. I've always been puzzled by their lack of success at State, especially since they often wind up in the top 2 in a tough area. Frankly, they are never as good at State as they are at Area. I've seen Rowlett at Area and State nearly every two years since 2002 and this has always been the case. Often they're still great at State and there have been years when I had them in my personal top 10 (this year no, but 2010 definitely yes.) But somehow that Area magic is never there. It's a combination of energy and the fact that they just never sound as good in the Alamodome. I don't think it's an accident that Rowlett's best ever State placement happened the last time SMBC was at Baylor (10th in 2002.) They have a beautiful, full sound outdoors that somehow gets a bit lost in translation. On the contrary, Coppell sounds amazing in the Alamodome in ways that they never manage to sound at Mesquite Memorial Stadium at Area. Perhaps that's part of the reason why Rowlett and Coppell always seem to flip-flop between Area and State. As an outsider, I also wonder if there are pacing issues. They're almost always able to give the performance they need at Area to not only make it to State, but also to beat some serious 5A powerhouses. Yet the momentum somehow gets lost in the week leading up to State. This is obviously conjecture as I haven't ever been to a Rowlett rehearsal. I told a friend yesterday that if 5A State happened the last Saturday of October at an outdoor stadium, Rowlett would make finals every time.

Edited by Donezo

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been some outstanding, insightful posts today. Seeing the Alamodome absolutely packed yesterday for finals announcements is always a thrill and it never gets old.

There is always a ton of anxiety and consternation over the judging and there are certainly specific items that you can question (Bell 9th in music), but I really felt like this group really nailed it in finals. Marcus and Hebron seemed a clear 1 & 2. The group of LDB, Coppell, Bowie, and Woodlands could have coin flipped 3-6 and it would have been tough to argue (although I thought Regan was going to slip in there). The same for Westlake, Berkner, and CTJ. I actually thought CTJ would earn a higher spot but they really struggled in finals.

Compliments to the UIL and the judging staff for getting it right!

On the contrary, Coppell sounds amazing in the Alamodome in ways that they never manage to sound at Mesquite Memorial Stadium at Area.

I couldn't agree more. I'm never overly impressed with Coppell and Woodlands until I see them in the Alamodome. The power they bring in that venue blows you out of your seat and they always seem to be there in the end, even when you don't expect it. Can you imagine what it would be like if Allen and their 700+ kids ever showed up at BOASA. Ear plugs would need to be provided at the door.

First of all, great job by all the bands at the 2012 State Marching Contest.... What an amazing showcase of talent displayed by the 38 bands that competed. Also kudos to Txbands blogging staff and the job they did reporting very vivid accounts of each band performance!! Way to go!!

I work with a that band faced a very similiar situation to Rowlett and the numbers they received on Tuesday. In our band we received a large spread between the two marching judges that significantly held us back in placement. That said, and while I wish it didn't occur, I understand it. With a clear UIL Rubric in place that describes the level of excellence acheived in the various areas of performance you would think that it would help control the scores and keep them more balanced. But, it comes down to interpretation and personal opinion.... Case in point, if many bands in the State Marching Contest hit sets, marches in step, have good technique and display it 100% of the time do they all win? No, ultimately with so many great bands comes a very picky demeanor of what best soots the judges ears or eyes. For instance, one of the marching judges felt our pant length was a little too short and drew too much attention away from the foot. The other judge thought the pants helped provide great definition.... Picky? Sure... but it's literally down to execution and the smallest of details. So if one judge loved a straight leg and the other a bent leg technique, they might have differing opinions as to how clear one style is to the other. The same goes for music, some judges feel as though a band should closely resemble a Concert Band on the field while others like a more aggresive approach. With our band on Tuesday we were very clean and marched with impecccable technique. One judge revealed a few things that were minor inconsistencies and gave a good score. The other thought we executed well and had a few minor inconsistencies and scored us low. Both saw the same thing but interpreted what to score differently based on their knowledge.... It's so hard to judge a marching contest but it must be crazy to judge the State Contest. I figure it has to be like judging art. Someone might really like Monet, but yet another prefers Picasso, neither is worng in their opinion but they might feel differently in their opinions of what great art is. Just food for thought. By the way I thought Rowlett was fantastic!:)

First of all, great job by all the bands at the 2012 State Marching Contest.... What an amazing showcase of talent displayed by the 38 bands that competed. Also kudos to Txbands blogging staff and the job they did reporting very vivid accounts of each band performance!! Way to go!!

I work with a that band faced a very similiar situation to Rowlett and the numbers they received on Tuesday. In our band we received a large spread between the two marching judges that significantly held us back in placement. That said, and while I wish it didn't occur, I understand it. With a clear UIL Rubric in place that describes the level of excellence acheived in the various areas of performance you would think that it would help control the scores and keep them more balanced. But, it comes down to interpretation and personal opinion.... Case in point, if many bands in the State Marching Contest hit sets, marches in step, have good technique and display it 100% of the time do they all win? No, ultimately with so many great bands comes a very picky demeanor of what best soots the judges ears or eyes. For instance, one of the marching judges felt our pant length was a little too short and drew too much attention away from the foot. The other judge thought the pants helped provide great definition.... Picky? Sure... but it's literally down to execution and the smallest of details. So if one judge loved a straight leg and the other a bent leg technique, they might have differing opinions as to how clear one style is to the other. The same goes for music, some judges feel as though a band should closely resemble a Concert Band on the field while others like a more aggresive approach. With our band on Tuesday we were very clean and marched with impecccable technique. One judge revealed a few things that were minor inconsistencies and gave a good score. The other thought we executed well and had a few minor inconsistencies and scored us low. Both saw the same thing but interpreted what to score differently based on their knowledge.... It's so hard to judge a marching contest but it must be crazy to judge the State Contest. I figure it has to be like judging art. Someone might really like Monet, but yet another prefers Picasso, neither is worng in their opinion but they might feel differently in their opinions of what great art is. Just food for thought. By the way I thought Rowlett was fantastic!:)

Thank you for that detailed insight into, basically, what the judges are thinking. I've often wondered what's going on in their minds at times. lol To be honest, I am a tad baffled that pant length would be such a viable topic in judging marching, but, I guess, they will find whatever they want in order to find a place for each band when the competition is so thick. You're right on the mark when you point out that judges can SEE or HEAR the exact same thing and have the same conclusion but score differently. That's definitely the human element that's involved here. Anyway, congratulations for making it to State. It's the toughest competition, imo, in the country. Kudos to you!

To be upfront, I am a Rowlett alum with two siblings who are/were in the program as well, so I'm plenty bias.

But can anyone break down how Rowlett is not making finals at state when they consistently outperform others in their area who consistantly make finals? There seem to be lots of talk about how this particular band is old and developed and this other band made finals in years past, etc etc. Shouldn't they just judge based on what they see and hear on the field?

I have not seen the scoresheets, only the summary posted on the UIL website. But I was at state starting around 1:30 and thought that Rowlett outperformed some of the bands that we saw that made finals. Rowlett plays for the majority of its show without any long drum or dance breaks to give everyone's chops a rest. They sounded like you we're listening to a concert hall, again, in my opinion.

So can anyone enlighten me on how two of the judges can look at Rowlett's state performance and rank them 24th?? I do know that all kids in all bands play their hearts out, it's just disheartening to follow the Rowlett band for so long and see them improve as such a young program and never make finals. I joined TxBands just to ask this question, hope I wasn't too abrasive. I thought all the bands looked great, I just thought Rowlett knocked it out of the park.

Any thoughts?

Note to Daniel Sanchez - please come out to Area C for your next 5A podcast. I can promise you, it will be exciting (and nerve-wrecking). The GISD and MISD have a some goods bands that are progressing very well. (Rowlett mom)

Edited by Yoursong

Well, someone posted videos, so I'll put links to the finalist bands' performances on here. I saw plenty of others on the video list, so I think all of the bands that participated in the prelims are on Youtube as well. I also found other additional videos of Reagan and Hebron as well:

-Marcus Hi-Cam:

-Hebron: Hi-Cam No Preshow:

Multi-Cam W/ Preshow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_MnjEkYl24

-LD Bell Hi-Cam:

-Bowie Hi-Cam:

-Coppell Hi-Cam:

-The Woodlands Hi-Cam:

-Westlake Hi-Cam:

-Reagan Hi-Cam:

BOA Field Level:

-Berkner Hi-Cam:

-CTJ (Johnson) Hi-Cam:

I'll add more videos (Different angles, Multi-Cam, etc.) of each of these bands performing at San Antonio as I find them if any more show up.And thanks to clarineticorn for letting me know that these are the finals runs.

Edited by ~ME~

I'm not affiliated with Duncanville, but was privileged to see their heart-tugging performance in SMC Prelims and was wowed by them. They marched and played such a different and emotional show this year. Their on-field warm-up was what got my attention--BEAUTIFUL!!! Then their opening set grabbed my attention--their drill was all over the field, which is extremely difficult to manage--but they did more than manage and their marching was outstanding! Holy Woodwind technique!! Those fingers were movin'--and together!! And that front ensemble and battery... WOW! Then there is the Colorgaurd--tons of them--with great routines!

I was shocked like most others that they didn't grab a finals spot, but luckily I was there to witness such an amazing show. Glad someone posted it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sWARkurBMQ

I have to admit that was my favorite show of the night. (ahhhh.... MAHLER!!!) Congrats to all the bands that performed on Tuesday and Best of luck to all the Texas bands. :-) AND a big thanks to txbands.com for providing all they do for this website. Great job!!

On the topic of why Rowlett never makes finals.... I am in the Rowlett HS band and attended the state marching contest in 2010 as a sophomore, and 2012 as a senior. In 2010, I felt as though the band was just aiming to make state, since none of us had been (Rowlett didn't make it in 2008). Once we made it, the band seemed to just be satisfied and stop giving their full effort in rehearsals prior to state. So I do believe we peaked at Area that year, and our state performance wasn't as great. However, in 2012 we had a different mindset. As a trumpet section leader, myself and the other leaders and drum majors kept telling everyone to "keep on pushing" and aim for the top just to see where we end up. We had a week of great rehearsals and hoped for a spot in finals. Now, I personally felt our state performance was better than area, but in the end we didn't make finals. Sure I was disappointed, but as always I am grateful to be given the opportunity to go to this amazing contest.

Now on the topic of the bands that made finals.... Rowlett stayed to watch them all, so I got to see them first hand. All I have to say is WOW. The level of performance in this state contest is OUTSTANDING and to be a part of it is just a complete honor.Coppell's brass is just amazing, and being a trumpet player, I love that huge brass sound they have. I've watched Marcus and Bowie over the years and they absolutely blow me away every time. I still remember eating dinner with a group of Marcus kids at DMI last year, and they're so nice and friendly. Congrats to them for making first for the 4th time!! This was my first time to see CTJ and Reagan and I was really impressed. Both were very entertaining and fun to watch. I definitely plan on seeing them again in the future. And that trumpet solo in Westlake's show.... OH MY GOSH. The fact that he's able to walk down stairs and play that amazing. WOW!!! Overall, I really enjoyed watching finals, and great job to all the bands that peformed!

The 2012 State Marching Contest was definitely strange. Overall, it was a fun and emotional experience, and the best way to end my high school marching career. Congrats to all the bands that attended and I hope everyone enjoyed it just as much as I did!

-The Woodlands Hi-Cam:

This is the first time I've seen this show from very high up. I have to admit I was a bit baffled they tied Marcus in visual performance in BOA SA finals. After seeing this, however, it makes a lot more sense. They were much cleaner than I (and others) gave them credit for. Aside from that moving brass arc in the ballad (wtf was that supposed to be anyway?) and some spacing and other form issues during the end of the opener and a little bit in the closer, much of this looks way better than I thought it did earlier. Still, I don't know if I would have placed them ahead of Marcus in ensemble visual, although taking difficulty into account maybe I would have. In any case, I think the BOA visual judges are somewhat redeemed by this video.

-Bowie Hi-Cam:

I'm also happy to see this show from very high up, because I'm noticing a lot of forms that really didn't quite hit. This concerns me for nationals. Unfortunately, I'm thinking visual performance won't be as much of an asset to them this year as it was last year at BOA SA, when they scored fabulously in visual performance. Some of the music design is also a bit "schizophrenic", although they sound excellent for the most part. I probably should have noticed the "schizophrenia" earlier. On an unrelated note, I love, love, love the planets. The colors really brighten up the field.

Preliminaries Results

1 Marcus HS, Flower Mound 1 1 1 2 1 6

2 Bell HS, Hurst 8 7 6 3 3 27

3 Reagan HS, San Antonio 2 17 2 6 6 33

4 Coppell HS, Coppell 3 8 8 1 15 35

5 Hebron HS, Carrollton 4 5 5 11 13 38

6 Bowie HS, Austin 5 4 19 10 4 42

7 Westlake HS, Austin 6 3 11 9 20 49

8 Johnson HS, San Antonio 9 16 15 4 5 49

9 Berkner HS, Richardson 11 2 13 13 10 49

10 The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands 20 11 9 8 2 50

11 Keller H S, Keller 17 22 4 5 11 59

12 Spring HS, Spring 13 10 7 12 17 59

13 Richland H S, N Richland Hills 12 18 12 7 14 63

14 Duncanville HS, Duncanville 19 19 3 15 12 68

15 Lake Travis H S, Austin 21 6 21 16 18 82

16 Rowlett H S, Rowlett 7 13 24 24 16 84

17 Brazoswood HS, Clute 10 9 17 25 26 87

18 Dickinson H S, Dickinson 18 14 14 14 29 89

19 Plano East Sr HS, Plano 24 15 10 32 9 90

20 Cy-Fair H S, Cypress 14 24 23 28 8 97

21 Hendrickson HS, Pflugerville 16 26 32 20 7 101

22 O'Connor HS, Helotes 15 20 18 18 32 103

23 Pearland H S, Pearland 22 21 20 26 25 114

24 Clear Lake HS, Houston 23 12 30 21 33 119

25 Langham Creek H S, Houston 26 36 16 17 31 126

26 Clear Brook HS, Friendswood 28 27 22 22 27 126

27 Fossil Ridge HS, Keller 25 33 27 27 19 131

28 Clements HS, Sugar Land 33 35 26 19 22 135

29 Coronado HS, El Paso 30 23 29 31 24 137

30 Central HS, Fort Worth 27 31 25 23 35 141

31 Seven Lakes H S, Katy 29 34 37 29 21 150

32 Harlingen HS, Harlingen 31 28 34 33 28 154

33 Donna HS, Donna 34 25 28 34 34 155

34 San Benito HS, San Benito 32 29 31 30 37 159

35 Hanna H S, Brownsville 38 32 38 35 23 166

36 Lopez HS, Brownsville 36 30 36 36 30 168

37 Harlingen South HS, Harlingen 35 37 33 37 36 178

38 United HS, Laredo 37 38 35 38 38 186

Last # is composite score

from left to right judges are: Beatty, Caneva, Clemmer, Hudson, Wessels

Quick comments:

Reagan (3) and Coppell (4) are higher than expected

Bowie (6), CTJ (8), and The Woodlands (10) are lower than expected

Spring (12) and Duncanville (14) nowhere to be found!

Did anyone notice the very low placement of Area G bands? 7 of the 8 bands advancing from Area G were the bottom seven bands at state. Yes, I understand that the exception was my school, O'Connor. I am reluctant to bring up this topic simply because of the school I go to and the band program am I affiliated with. Please understand I am in no way trying to boast of my school's placement or anything of that nature.

Rather, I'm trying to pose a question: was there a sort of regional bias in the judging? I understand that Area G is not very closely followed on this site and it's for a good reason: it hasn't produced a state finals caliber band in decades. Area G bands typically place around the bottom at state anyways. But I think having them all place at the bottom is unusual. Especially after reading the reviews on the liveblog about there truly not being a "hierarchy of areas," I think the results clearly show that that is in fact not the case.

Did anyone notice the very low placement of Area G bands? 7 of the 8 bands advancing from Area G were the bottom seven bands at state. Yes, I understand that the exception was my school, O'Connor. I am reluctant to bring up this topic simply because of the school I go to and the band program am I affiliated with. Please understand I am in no way trying to boast of my school's placement or anything of that nature.

Rather, I'm trying to pose a question: was there a sort of regional bias in the judging? I understand that Area G is not very closely followed on this site and it's for a good reason: it hasn't produced a state finals caliber band in decades. Area G bands typically place around the bottom at state anyways. But I think having them all place at the bottom is unusual. Especially after reading the reviews on the liveblog about there truly not being a "hierarchy of areas," I think the results clearly show that that is in fact not the case.

When I made that comment I was really trying to say that everyone who was there deserved to be there. I was a little shocked that the bottom seven were all from Area G, however, looking back it reflected my personal opinions too. Does that mean any of these programs are bad? Definitely definitely DEFINITELY not. They are all super strong programs!

This reason I feel that O'Connor placed higher than the other Area G programs is because the have more fuel! They come down to Westlake and BOA San Antonio. Those other programs are destroying their area where as Sandra Day is additionally coming down and facing stronger bands. That is just my personal $0.02 on the situation. I really hope I didn't offend.

Edited by T.Stechnij

Don't think that CORRELATION is CAUSATION. Having 7 out of the 8 from area G as the bottom is more than likely a huge coincidence rather than regional bias. First off your band, O'Connor, wouldn't have made it to 22nd if there was regional bias between ALL 5 different judges. Secondly, I'm pretty sure the judges don't have an opinion to give with where a band comes from, they just show up, judge, and get paid. They aren't active followers of the UIL areas, some are even out of state! Lastly this was a very hard contest from top to bottom, bands that *traditionally* should've been in finals were way off. It's a real accomplishment to have gotten to the State Marching Contest and every one of those kids should be proud they were there. And, like you said, area G hasn't produced a finals caliber band in decades. Yet that area was given the most spots because the most bands qualified, spots that some would argue should've gone to other areas for more 'deserving bands'. This more than anything proves that EVERYONE is given their fair chance, there is no regional bias, every area follows the rules and every band there deserves to be there no matter what!

I was at the 3A SMC also and sitting next to me was an older gentleman of no apparent band affiliation there with his friend. Every time a military marching band came onto the field he would loudly say things like 'They don't deserve to be here' 'that warm ups not going to help, they won't win' and 'this band is a waste of my time'. China Springs, a military marching band went on to make finals. Story was a little unrelated to the above post but I wanted to share it.

I can assure you regional bias would be unfeasible coming from professionals with no hand in the game. Even if one or two judges did have a bias, there would be 3 other judges to counter them. That's just how this system works. As you hopefully see, the scores given were consistent to those bands.

To reply to both you:

I understand what you all are saying. I guess what I'm getting at is not so much a "regional bias" sort of thing but rather a trend in judges preferences. Firstly, let me mention that six those seven bands that placed at the bottom are from the Rio Grande Valley and the other one is from Laredo. It was mentioned in the liveblog that these bands from South Texas added a "Spanish flair" to the contest. I think it's possible that judges do not particularly favor this style of show, leading them to be placed at the bottom.

Really, there are plenty of other reasons as to why these bands placed the way they did, and I won't delve into them because I'd probably sound a little coarse. Regardless, suggesting that the judges are biased against bands from a certain area simply because they are from that area (and I mean geographical area, not UIL area) was pretty silly of me.

The why or how of this situation is dependent on many things, but I guess I just found it very interesting that the placements did fall that way because I think it's pretty unheard of for this to occur.

Edited by OCPantherSnare

I'm not affiliated with Duncanville, but was privileged to see their heart-tugging performance in SMC Prelims and was wowed by them. They marched and played such a different and emotional show this year. Their on-field warm-up was what got my attention--BEAUTIFUL!!! Then their opening set grabbed my attention--their drill was all over the field, which is extremely difficult to manage--but they did more than manage and their marching was outstanding! Holy Woodwind technique!! Those fingers were movin'--and together!! And that front ensemble and battery... WOW! Then there is the Colorgaurd--tons of them--with great routines!

I was shocked like most others that they didn't grab a finals spot, but luckily I was there to witness such an amazing show. Glad someone posted it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sWARkurBMQ

I have to admit that was my favorite show of the night. (ahhhh.... MAHLER!!!) Congrats to all the bands that performed on Tuesday and Best of luck to all the Texas bands. :-) AND a big thanks to txbands.com for providing all they do for this website. Great job!!

As a member of the Duncanville band, it was shocking and depressing to miss out on finals. But this deep emotion only added to this already emotional show. But I think all of us gained a lot of pride through this experience, and we performed "The Crossing" for the last time at our football game tonight, only two days after state. It was even better than in the Alamodome, and the applause we received was tremendous. As a senior, with four years of marching with the amazing Duncanville band, this show ended up meaning so much more than a medal to us.

To reply to both you:

I understand what you all are saying. I guess what I'm getting at is not so much a "regional bias" sort of thing but rather a trend in judges preferences. Firstly, let me mention that six those seven bands that placed at the bottom are from the Rio Grande Valley and the other one is from Laredo. It was mentioned in the liveblog that these bands from South Texas added a "Spanish flair" to the contest. I think it's possible that judges do not particularly favor this style of show, leading them to be placed at the bottom.

Really, there are plenty of other reasons as to why these bands placed the way they did, and I won't delve into them because I'd probably sound a little coarse. Regardless, suggesting that the judges are biased against bands from a certain area simply because they are from that area (and I mean geographical area, not UIL area) was pretty silly of me.

The why or how of this situation is dependent on many things, but I guess I just found it very interesting that the placements did fall that way because I think it's pretty unheard of for this to occur.

The reason Area G tends to struggle at the SMC or even BOA, if they attend, goes to the old saying "Money buys you Championships."

Now I absolutely hate to say it that way because every band at the SMC has a tremendous amount of talent but when you compare Area G bands to the bigger more affluent bands such as LD Bell, they don't have the resources to bring out major props or LED screens. Just looking at the demographic of the schools that are in Area G, outside of Bexar County, they come from less affluent areas than those of the other bands at the SMC.

Now in the end I don't think this is the major contributing factor to the under representation of Area G in the Finals but it is something worth comparing. All of the bands that were at State were amazing and it is truly awesome the product Texas puts out. there!

This is way more likely, and what probably actually happened. They are all from a common area with a common sound that may not have been taken the best by the judges. Same with their marching technique

The reason Area G tends to struggle at the SMC or even BOA, if they attend, goes to the old saying "Money buys you Championships."

Now I absolutely hate to say it that way because every band at the SMC has a tremendous amount of talent but when you compare Area G bands to the bigger more affluent bands such as LD Bell, they don't have the resources to bring out major props or LED screens. Just looking at the demographic of the schools that are in Area G, outside of Bexar County, they come from less affluent areas than those of the other bands at the SMC.

Now in the end I don't think this is the major contributing factor to the under representation of Area G in the Finals but it is something worth comparing. All of the bands that were at State were amazing and it is truly awesome the product Texas puts out. there!

I disagree that money and 'wow' props wins championships. Hard work from student and staff wins these things. Besides, giant props and LED boards are the kind of thing that would be better received at a BOA competition rather than UIL. Cedar Park won 4A State championships last year with no real props or even a theme! Unless you call the music of Gustav Mahler a theme, I don't, I call it the Music of Gustav Mahler xD

When you are in this world of 5A, with the largest most affluent bands you do get a large influx of props and 'creativity', just because that is the type of show these bands put on. Most of the top bands also compete in BOA which rewards General Effect, which props can boost greatly. Now are the props free? No. Are they cheap? No. But that's why these bands put on fundraisers for the students to raise their own money for fees that go towards props among other things.

With the location of bands like Marcus and LD Bell in large suburban areas there is a larger group of students wanting to participate, more talent, higher quality. Huge bands, which technically speaking does have them in reach of more money, but is that the reason they are constantly successful? Not at all. Another factor is that the middle schools feeding into these high schools do an excellent job of teaching and preparing those kids for this world. Just some things to think about. :P

Edited by Nosagi