Seven bands? Sounds like at least one spot should be donated to Area D. :P

1st The Woodlands

2nd Spring

3rd The Woodlands College Park

4th Brazoswood

5th Westfield

6th Pearland

7th Clear Brook

I'm thinking The Woodlands has this one in the bag. Then again, He11 has been known to freeze over in UIL.

I have absolutely no idea how Spring is going to do. First Friendswood misses finals at BOA Conroe, then next week they beat Spring handily at LSP, I know the logic is a little flawed but couldn't one infer that Spring would've also missed finals at Conroe? Of course things changed over the weeks, but I haven't been sure about how Spring will do in a season since... I can't even remember! They are just all over the place! I'm having the most trouble predicting the placements in this area out of all of them, not because there aren't enough State spots, because there are almost too many! Every one of these bands deserves to go to state of course, yet a large amount of them are on the same level which happens to be the 4-7 range. I have no doubt that TW will get first again but beyond that, I have no clue.

I have absolutely no idea how Spring is going to do. First Friendswood misses finals at BOA Conroe, then next week they beat Spring handily at LSP, I know the logic is a little flawed but couldn't one infer that Spring would've also missed finals at Conroe? Of course things changed over the weeks, but I haven't been sure about how Spring will do in a season since... I can't even remember! They are just all over the place! I'm having the most trouble predicting the placements in this area out of all of them, not because there aren't enough State spots, because there are almost too many! Every one of these bands deserves to go to state of course, yet a large amount of them are on the same level which happens to be the 4-7 range. I have no doubt that TW will get first again but beyond that, I have no clue.

I'm not sure I'd take LSP results all that seriously. I remember back in 2004 when Westfield beat Reagan in both performance captions. Reagan won the contest through GE, although they should have swept the captions. For whatever reason, the judges at LSP (although strangely not when they judge at BOA) seem to take some liberties with their scoring. At the same time, though, I'm thinking most groups attend LSP not so much to win LSP, but to receive feedback from judges that they'll see later down the road at BOA San Antonio and Grand Nationals. This was probably the case with Claudia Taylor Johnson last year.

I'm not sure I'd take LSP results all that seriously. I remember back in 2004 when Westfield beat Reagan in both performance captions. Reagan won the contest through GE, although they should have swept the captions. For whatever reason, the judges at LSP (although strangely not when they judge at BOA) seem to take some liberties with their scoring. At the same time, though, I'm thinking most groups attend LSP not so much to win LSP, but to receive feedback from judges that they'll see later down the road at BOA San Antonio and Grand Nationals. This was probably the case with Claudia Taylor Johnson last year.

Because of the different scoring method it will be really interesting to see how it shakes out. The only thing Im sure about is that Woodlands is in the first slot. Spring and College Park have a lot going for them, but the were both a little dirty at LSP.

I have absolutely no idea how Spring is going to do. First Friendswood misses finals at BOA Conroe, then next week they beat Spring handily at LSP, I know the logic is a little flawed but couldn't one infer that Spring would've also missed finals at Conroe?

I'm not trying to sound biased for defending my school, but that logic is VERY flawed. Friendswood got 11th at Conroe and 1st at LSP. Morton Ranch got 19th at Conroe and 4th at LSP. Brazozwood got 12th at Conroe and 7th at LSP. College Park got 6th at Conroe and 6th at LSP. Clear Brook got 14th at Conroe and 5th at LSP. Clear Falls got 22nd at Conroe and 10th at LSP.

All of those placements only show that a lot can change in just one week, and it's been two weeks since LSP. It's a moot point.

Anywho, this weekend will be fun because we're on the eve of that big week in San Antonio. It's what I love about Area weekend! :)

This is a valid point, and I can agree that the LSP results shouldn't have been given that much weight in my analysis.

I'm not trying to sound biased for defending my school, but that logic is VERY flawed. Friendswood got 11th at Conroe and 1st at LSP. Morton Ranch got 19th at Conroe and 4th at LSP. Brazozwood got 12th at Conroe and 7th at LSP. College Park got 6th at Conroe and 6th at LSP. Clear Brook got 14th at Conroe and 5th at LSP. Clear Falls got 22nd at Conroe and 10th at LSP.

All of those placements only show that a lot can change in just one week, and it's been two weeks since LSP. It's a moot point.

I *of course* wasn't trying to attack your school by any means, but I do want to retract my earlier statement about the LSP results I mentioned in my initial post. That being said, I still believe that Spring could place anywhere in finals. I really wish they had been at Conroe, that would've provided us something to compare them to. I do think that Brazoswood will do better at area given their time to clean, and I highly doubt that College Park would miss finals, or State. They've had good season so far. I would like to see Westfield at state but I am not prepared to put them in as a lock yet.

Anyone have any commentary about the finals bands?

I had the opportunity to see the final 2 performing bands, Dickinson H.S. and The Woodlands H.S., as I had other commitments in the evening which prevented me from seeing the other finalist bands perform.

Dickinson HS "Revolution": The band did a good job in performing Beethoven's Symphony No. 7, Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, and Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. The technique by the woodwinds and the brass were very crisp, especially during the 1812 Overture in their closer, but they had some trouble projecting their sound to the press box, now granted, the weather at 10 PM was in the low 40s; although, it definitely reminded me of the closer performed by Carolina Crown from their 2008 show. The visual performance was great from the double helix move in the opener, to the choreography by the color guard, and to the effective drill design throughout the show. Overall, it was a treat watching this group, especially at the end, a member of the band comes off the field and goes up the drum major podium to knock him out and claim victory for the group. Best wishes to you guys at state!

The Woodlands HS "Letters to Home": WOW, WOW, and WOW. I can see why they're the BOA Conroe regional champions as well as being one of the favorites going into the BOA San Antonio Super Regional. This show contains some really difficult music (i.e. Letters to Home by Aaron Copland and Symphony No.2 by David Diamond) as well as a demanding visual performance and it is played and marched flawlessly. This show moves and it definitely makes you hold on to your seat. The beginning starts with the woodwinds on side 1 playing Copland's Letters to Home and then the story of "Sarah" begins as she writes her family about her journey into the world. The music then transitions to the brass on side one, and my goodness, the low brass reminds me of the powerful low brass from Lassiter 2002, if you've never seen that show, you're definitely missing out. Even in the cold weather, the sound was so clear and the projection of their sound reached the press box without any issues. I can only imagine what it will sound like in San Antonio. The 2nd movement goes into more Copland selections and the mellophones really shine, especially at the final chord at the end of the movement with some ridiculous trills. The show then goes into the ballad with a more soothing rendition of Copland's Letters to Home with a major impact by the whole band at the end of the ballad, in which no words can express the beauty of the music. I know there are many within the band community who oppose the use of narration in show, but the narration performed throughout this show provides so much effect and truly displays their theme of "Letters to Home." Finally, the band begins playing excerpts from David Diamond's Symphony No. 2 with the technique performed interchangeably by the brass and woodwinds which has so much calmness, clarity, and it is played with ease. We are then brought back again into a final close with Copland's Letters to Home where the band (including the color guard who are beautifully dressed in white dresses) just moves so well in unison, provided the never ending individual visual choreography, and the power that is exuded by these musicians definitely sparks the emotions within one's self. This show has it all: music technicality, visual design & choreography, and most importantly the general effect. I wish this band the all best and best of luck at BOA and UIL State.

STATE ADVANCEMENT COMMENTARY:

Spring HS: Overall great show Spring! I love your musicality. I feel like the show has too many solos, but it does not hinder them from anything. Great players! But Spring...please. The Tents. Too many Tents! 16? C'mon guys it's very distracting.

Woodlands HS: I love the repertoire for your show this year! Big Brass sound. Very Color full woodwinds. Soloists were wonderful. I had the privilege of sitting near the field and I definitely adore how your color guard chooses to perform for the audience from head to toe. It's amazing to see. There's still room for improvement such as a few diagonals not quite defined, but overall great performance.

Pearland HS: Great Brass!! I loved when they stood on the platforms and just played their heart out! It's amazing to see passion for music in these kids, but I believe that they can do the same while marching. I feel like if the kids play at the same energy and power when they were standing as when they are marching. You guys could possibly make 2 performances at San Antonio. Great Job.

Clear Lake HS: [DID NOT SEE]

Brazoswood HS: Wow. I did not recognize you guys. Last time I saw you was at LSP. Great new uniforms! I felt that these new suits gave you guys TONS OF ENERGY! Your show was completely different compared to your BOA Conroe showing. Your Front Ensemble and Soloists can now be heard! They are a wonderful bunch! I loved how you added a sudden tempo change in the end of your show, full energy till the end! B'wood is back for redemption from 2010. Can't wait to see you guys again at SAN ANTONIO!

Clear Brook HS: [DID NOT SEE]

Dickinson HS: Kudos guys! 1st time to advance to state in the 5A Conference. Great to see you move on! I loved the idea of your show! But I think you can add more musicality in your playing. More phrasing. It was heartbreaking to see the Saxophone Soloist having a hard time playing during their Finals Performance. Below 40 degree soloing is such a difficult job to do, but eventually he came through! I love how you guys portray a full sound, but I hear edge in your playing. That's a tough job to fix, but I believe this band can fix that easily.

STATE ADVANCEMENT COMMENTARY:

Spring HS: Overall great show Spring! I love your musicality. I feel like the show has too many solos, but it does not hinder them from anything. Great players! But Spring...please. The Tents. Too many Tents! 16? C'mon guys it's very distracting.

Woodlands HS: I love the repertoire for your show this year! Big Brass sound. Very Color full woodwinds. Soloists were wonderful. I had the privilege of sitting near the field and I definitely adore how your color guard chooses to perform for the audience from head to toe. It's amazing to see. There's still room for improvement such as a few diagonals not quite defined, but overall great performance.

Pearland HS: Great Brass!! I loved when they stood on the platforms and just played their heart out! It's amazing to see passion for music in these kids, but I believe that they can do the same while marching. I feel like if the kids play at the same energy and power when they were standing as when they are marching. You guys could possibly make 2 performances at San Antonio. Great Job.

Clear Lake HS: [DID NOT SEE]

Brazoswood HS: Wow. I did not recognize you guys. Last time I saw you was at LSP. Great new uniforms! I felt that these new suits gave you guys TONS OF ENERGY! Your show was completely different compared to your BOA Conroe showing. Your Front Ensemble and Soloists can now be heard! They are a wonderful bunch! I loved how you added a sudden tempo change in the end of your show, full energy till the end! B'wood is back for redemption from 2010. Can't wait to see you guys again at SAN ANTONIO!

Clear Brook HS: [DID NOT SEE]

Dickinson HS: Kudos guys! 1st time to advance to state in the 5A Conference. Great to see you move on! I loved the idea of your show! But I think you can add more musicality in your playing. More phrasing. It was heartbreaking to see the Saxophone Soloist having a hard time playing during their Finals Performance. Below 40 degree soloing is such a difficult job to do, but eventually he came through! I love how you guys portray a full sound, but I hear edge in your playing. That's a tough job to fix, but I believe this band can fix that easily.

Westfield HS:

The Bassoon soloist had a problem with his mic or his reed which didnt allow him to be heard during most of his solo in the opener which seemed to throw things off. Ive seen Westfield a couple of times this year and this was definitely not their best performance.

Westfield HS:

The Bassoon soloist had a problem with his mic or his reed which didnt allow him to be heard during most of his solo in the opener which seemed to throw things off. Ive seen Westfield a couple of times this year and this was definitely not their best performance.

Wow. Yeah, I was shocked that Westfield did not make it. I did not see their performance either.

Do you know what happened to TWCP?

The Woodlands College Park placed 11th in prelims. Their ordinals were 4 17 4 13 13. If the second music judge had agreed with the other two music judges, TWCP would have placed 6th in prelims, putting them in a good position to make state. The same music judge that foiled TWCP's chances had some other unusual placements, such as Clear Brook in first place. (The other two music judges had CB 15th and 10th.)

The Woodlands won finals with ordinals of 1 2 1 1 5, with a 7 point lead over Spring. The marching judges were pretty divided towards the top, for whatever reason.

You can find full results here:

http://www.uilforms.com/regions/19/AreaMarchingENTRY.htm

The Woodlands College Park placed 11th in prelims. Their ordinals were 4 17 4 13 13. If the second music judge had agreed with the other two music judges, TWCP would have placed 6th in prelims, putting them in a good position to make state. The same music judge that foiled TWCP's chances had some other unusual placements, such as Clear Brook in first place. (The other two music judges had CB 15th and 10th.)

The Woodlands won finals with ordinals of 1 2 1 1 5, with a 7 point lead over Spring. The marching judges were pretty divided towards the top, for whatever reason.

You can find full results here:

http://www.uilforms.com/regions/19/AreaMarchingENTRY.htm

Some wacky disagreements between judges there, for sure. I feel for College Park. They got "Round Rocked," although to a lesser extent.

I am also very surprised to see Spring so seemingly close to The Woodlands. I don't think you can really make out much of a spread in the 1-1000 scoring scheme since every judge seems to do it differently (one guy has every band separated by only single digits! out of 1000!), but it is significant that they almost overtook The Woodlands in prelims. Is The Woodlands not as strong as we thought, is Spring much better than we thought, or is it simply a case of strange judging?

Some wacky disagreements between judges there, for sure. I feel for College Park. They got "Round Rocked," although to a lesser extent.

I am also very surprised to see Spring so seemingly close to The Woodlands. I don't think you can really make out much of a spread in the 1-1000 scoring scheme since every judge seems to do it differently (one guy has every band separated by only single digits! out of 1000!), but it is significant that they almost overtook The Woodlands in prelims. Is The Woodlands not as strong as we thought, is Spring much better than we thought, or is it simply a case of strange judging?

I think that might grow to be the term of the season! :P Shame about TWCP, I didn't see so I can't comment.

But yeah, I was looking at the scores for finals, couple of things I noticed,

Pearland was VERY close to overtaking Spring, one point difference.

Marching judge 2 (J5) Seems to have boxed himself in. 20 points (out of 1000) separate 7 bands.

That Spring 1 in music was 2 points (Out of 1000) away from being a Woodlands 1, that could mean anything from a tuning issue to one wrong note could've had a different outcome. In all fairness that was the best I've heard Spring all year. Marginally better. The judging tends to be pretty consistent at this contest, save for marching judge 2 (J5). But I agree with the overall results, afterall, area tends to be a stepping stone for a lot of these bands. We could see amazingly different results at state. Good luck, see you next Tuesday!

I think that might grow to be the term of the season! :P Shame about TWCP, I didn't see so I can't comment.

But yeah, I was looking at the scores for finals, couple of things I noticed,

Pearland was VERY close to overtaking Spring, one point difference.

Marching judge 2 (J5) Seems to have boxed himself in. 20 points (out of 1000) separate 7 bands.

That Spring 1 in music was 2 points (Out of 1000) away from being a Woodlands 1, that could mean anything from a tuning issue to one wrong note could've had a different outcome. In all fairness that was the best I've heard Spring all year. Marginally better. The judging tends to be pretty consistent at this contest, save for marching judge 2 (J5). But I agree with the overall results, afterall, area tends to be a stepping stone for a lot of these bands. We could see amazingly different results at state. Good luck, see you next Tuesday!

I clicked on that site, but couldnt find results.... where are they??

strange judging i think!

strange judging i think!

Strange, maybe. The raw scores were certainly generous, although they don't mean much. I don't think there's any other area where scores of 990+ were given in both music and marching. Then again, I haven't seen results from area B. Still, it's pretty humorous. Were they really that close to perfect? REALLY?