Break 3:15pm

Lewisville HS - 5A 3:30pm

Haltom HS - 5A 3:45pm

Marcus HS - 5A 4:00pm

McKinney Boyd HS - 5A 4:15pm

Wylie HS - 4A 4:30pm

McKinney HS - 5A 4:45pm

Prelims Awards Ceremony 5:00pm

Looks to be a great competition. There are definitely some bands I can't wait to see! Any locks for finals? Who's on the bubble? Discuss...

It looks as if the majority of the 5A bands in this competition are in the same UIL Area B group which will compete next month to see who goes to the state contest. I also believe that LD Bell is in that same group though not in this competition. This will be a good early indicator to see who the major players are going to be for those 3-4 spots.

It's actually a shame that PESH is hosting the event and can not compete. That would give them a chance to see where they rate against their main competitors. They had a strong show two years ago and nearly made state. I think I'll try to make it to this one.

I'm sure it being in the same place as the UIL Area B competition on the 27th has a lot to do with there being so many bands who will be vying for those coveted State spots.

I was thinking the same about Plano East. I remember when they performed at Area two years ago in the pouring rain. It would be great if they could actually compete. At least they will get judges' comments. That's better than nothing, I suppose.

It's going to be a great day.

Just checked the weather and WOAH! They're forecasting the high in the 50s! What in the world? There's a slight chance of rain with the freezing-cold-for-Texas cold front coming in Friday night. Wow. I checked the weather yesterday and the high on Saturday was supposed to be in the 70s. What a change! brrr Bring your jackets/coats everyone!

Edited by TXMarchingMadness87654

Wow the weather did change quick, I can't wait to go either! When I saw the line up I thought wow this is going to be one heck of a competition. Anyone else going to be there?

MarcusPlace 2HaltomPlace 3HebronPlace 4Wylie Place 5MansfieldPlace 6McKinney BoydPlace 7AllenPlace 8Lakeview CentennialPlace 9Naaman ForestPlace 10CreekviewVisual captionMarcusPercussion captionMarcusAuxillary captionMarcusHeres goes my estimate, any debates??? :)

MarcusPlace 2HaltomPlace 3HebronPlace 4Wylie Place 5MansfieldPlace 6McKinney BoydPlace 7AllenPlace 8Lakeview CentennialPlace 9Naaman ForestPlace 10CreekviewVisual captionMarcusPercussion captionMarcusAuxillary captionMarcusHeres goes my estimate, any debates??? :)

I think Hebron will be second. They are much improved from last year and they are looking really good this year. They did really well at BOA Denton even with the awful conditions.

I picked Haltom second, too. Their show last year was amazing and I'm looking forward to seeing what they bring this year. In fact, I can't wait to see all the shows! This is going to be a great competition. Most everyone has Marcus in first(for good reason) and there's a pretty good chance they'll win the captions. We'll see. It's going to be a good & cold day! lol I love watching marching shows when it's chilly...much better than super hot! Bring on the cocoa!!!

Plano East Prelims Results:

2A Winds - Whitewright

2A Percussion- Whitewright

2A Marching - Whitewright

2A GE - Whitewright

2A Guard - Whitewright

2A Drum Major - Whitewright

2A Best in Class - Whitewright

3A Winds - Mineola

3A Percussion - Mineola

3A Marching - Mineola

3A GE - Mineola

3A Guard - Mineola

3A Drum Major - Mineola

3A Best in Class - Mineola

4A Winds - Wylie

4A Percussion - Wylie

4A Marching - Wylie

4A GE - Wylie

4A Guard - Wylie

4A Drum Major - Wylie

4A 3rd - Parkway

4A 2nd - Creekview

4A Best in Class - Wylie

5A Winds - Marcus

5A Percussion - Marcus

5A Marching - Marcus

5A GE - Marcus

5A Guard - Marcus

5A Drum Major - Marcus

5A 3rd - Haltom

5A 2nd - Hebron

5A Best in Class - Marcus

Finalists:

Parkway

Creekview

Lewisville

McKinney Boyd

Mansfield

McKinney

Wylie

Haltom

Hebron

Marcus

This was the best PEMI that I've ever seen. It was a really good preview of what Area B might look like as many of the big players in Area B were at this contest.

Parkway brought unbridled sound and fear from Louisiana while Creekview and Haltom painted beautiful Pictures at an Exhibition for us. The crowd took off with laughter whenever the drum majors from Lewisville would fly around like Brrdz. McKinney Boyd lit up the night like fireworks with their LED covered shakos, drums, and tubas while we were waiting for Mansfield to start their metamorphosis into beautiful butterflies. Hebron put on a great concert as Marcus was preparing to open the gates into the magical musical world of Bach. And THAT Wylie Band ran like the wind after McKinney explained to all of us how the world is going to end on 12/21/2012.

That was one freezing cold competition warmed by the beautiful music and incredible marching... ;) I enjoyed all of the shows, but have a busy day ahead, so please excuse me for just reviewing the top three.

Marcus-Um. L-O-V-E this show. Even though last year's show was fun & lovely, I believe I enjoyed this show even more. I love the gates. I love the three different uniforms(especially those copper ones that match the gates. a-mazing). Of course, they play just beautifully and kept some fun in it as well. I haven't seen LD Bell's show, but wow...not sure how anyone could beat this one. Just lovely. Marching was well-done w/o too many slip-ups, and certainly any slip-ups were short-lived. And Marcus parents are so nice! Several of the parents sitting around us stood and clapped for every band after their performance. :)

Hebron-GREAT music! They really bring an incredible show to the field. Much better for me than last year's show. They look and sound awesome. I thought the props really added a nice height and helped with the theme of their show. A few more slip-ups than Marcus, but also short-lived. Bright sound. There were moments in their show where I closed my eyes to just listen and had to remind myself that I needed to watch, too! haha To be honest, I did that many times during the evening. Such great bands in finals. Hebron is a band to watch out for in UIL. They kept me riveted the entire time. I'm certain they'll only get better as the season progresses, but I'm not sure what more they need to do. Just great!

Haltom-Love the brightness of their show this year after last year's dark(but moving) show. Music was crisp and some difficult drill as well. Seems their color guard is improving each year. Also had some slip-ups here and there and more than the top 2 bands, but pulled out of them cleanly. The new uniforms are AWESOME! What a complete change from the almost all black ones from years past. One of my favorite parts was at the beginning when there are two units marching toward each other. One unit has grey pants showing and the other has black. Neat-o effect. When they came in to watch Marcus after their finals performance and sat on the opposite side of the field, their silver-rimed shakos shined and sparkled over at us. haha Can't wait to see what they bring in the future.

I will have to agree that it was one of the best PEMIs ever. Considering how Minnesota-cold it was last night, the bands brought great sound. I felt so bad for the trophies that blew over at the end and broke! I hope some hot glue will fix them. The crowd was lively. The bands, a-mazing. What bargain entertainment for an evening for $8! You couldn't find such talent at any other concert quite like a marching band contest(in my opinion). Congrats to ALL of the bands. Hope everyone is warming up today! :)

Edited by TXMarchingMadness87654

I guess we needed a cold misty night to remind us it was fall. I was surprisingly impressed by the finals bands and left thinking the next few weeks are going to be really fun. Big compliments to the Creekview and particularly, Lewisville who have shown huge maturity and improvement over past years. I do not know who is over the Lewisville ISD Fine Arts programs, but the band programs at those schools (Marcus, Hebron, Lewisville, Flower Mound) are outstanding and seem to be improving every year to the point where I've come to assume it's district driven.

There was no question that Marcus, Hebron, and Haltom were the top tier and there was little question that Marcus was the top show. Their music is so clean and their visuals are so engaging that they captivate you. Marcus only played for 6 minutes so there is obviously more to come. What surprised me was that I did not think there was huge gap between Marcus and Hebron to the point where I think UIL is going to be interesting.

One thing for sure, UIL Area B is going to be a beast. I'm not sure if they'll take 3-4 bands to state from that Area, but Marcus, Hebron, and LDB are likely going to be in the middle of it. Let's hope they take 4 so another deserving band will have a shot.

Edited by Statebound

I do not know who is over the Lewisville ISD Fine Arts programs

That would be none other than Bill Watson.

He was the director at Spring in 1993 when they won BOA Grand Nationals with that extremely famous show and also the director at Richland when they made 5A State Finals in 1998 and later won 4A State and later made BOA GN Finals.

Detailed Finals Rankings:

Mus1, Mus2, Perc, Mar1, Mar2, Vis, Aux = Total1)  Marcus	 -	 2,	1,	1,	1,	1,   1,   1 = 9.752)  Hebron	 -	 1,	2,	2,	2,	2,   2,   3 = 9.233)  Haltom	 -	 3,	4,	8,	3,	3,   3,   6 = 7.494)  McKinney   -	 5,	3,	5,	4,	6,   6,   8 = 6.365)  Wylie	  -	 4,	5,	3,	6,	4,   5,   5 = 6.336)  Mansfield  -	 9,	7,	7,	7,	5,   4,   2 = 4.207)  Boyd	   -	 7,	6,   10,	8,	7,   7,   4 = 4.018)  Creekview  -	 6,	8,	4,	9,	9,   9,   9 = 3.209)  Lewisville -	10,	9,	9,	5,	8,   8,   7 = 2.7710) Parkway	-	 8,   10,	6,   10,   10,  10,  10 = 1.66

Mus1, Mus2, Perc, Mar1, Mar2, Vis, Aux = Total1)  Marcus	 -	 2,	1,	1,	1,	1,   1,   1 = 9.752)  Hebron	 -	 1,	2,	2,	2,	2,   2,   3 = 9.233)  Haltom	 -	 3,	4,	8,	3,	3,   3,   6 = 7.494)  McKinney   -	 5,	3,	5,	4,	6,   6,   8 = 6.365)  Wylie	  -	 4,	5,	3,	6,	4,   5,   5 = 6.336)  Mansfield  -	 9,	7,	7,	7,	5,   4,   2 = 4.207)  Boyd	   -	 7,	6,   10,	8,	7,   7,   4 = 4.018)  Creekview  -	 6,	8,	4,	9,	9,   9,   9 = 3.209)  Lewisville -	10,	9,	9,	5,	8,   8,   7 = 2.7710) Parkway	-	 8,   10,	6,   10,   10,  10,  10 = 1.66

Really surprised how close Marcus and Hebron are.

Really surprised how close Marcus and Hebron are.

Well, Hebron was VERY good on Saturday. Marcus still has a couple of minutes of show to add, too. Like I said in my review, I don't know that there's too much Hebron needs to do to improve. Their show was really fantastic. Marcus is always incredible, of course, but we haven't technically seen their "whole" show yet. It will be interesting to see if the rest of their show pulls them further away from Hebron. Should be a great UIL. Also, they will both be at the BISD festival this coming Saturday. Another showdown! I've said it on another post, but while people are set on admiring two great bands, they need not forget about others, like Hebron, who have also consistently made it to State in the past, along with Haltom & Richland.

I see that percussion may be a major issue for Haltom in future contests. It's too bad, because their marching, as usual, looks really great. Their music sounded great, too. hmm Hope they get the percussion issue straightened up before Area. I hate seeing any band "unbalanced," so to speak.

I'm anxiously waiting to see what else Marcus will bring to the field!!! Can't wait!!!! Anyone seen both LD Bell's and Marcus' shows this year? I'd like to know how they compare. Go bands go!

Well, Hebron was VERY good on Saturday. Marcus still has a couple of minutes of show to add, too. Like I said in my review, I don't know that there's too much Hebron needs to do to improve. Their show was really fantastic. Marcus is always incredible, of course, but we haven't technically seen their "whole" show yet. It will be interesting to see if the rest of their show pulls them further away from Hebron. Should be a great UIL. Also, they will both be at the BISD festival this coming Saturday. Another showdown! I've said it on another post, but while people are set on admiring two great bands, they need not forget about others, like Hebron, who have also consistently made it to State in the past, along with Haltom & Richland.

I see that percussion may be a major issue for Haltom in future contests. It's too bad, because their marching, as usual, looks really great. Their music sounded great, too. hmm Hope they get the percussion issue straightened up before Area. I hate seeing any band "unbalanced," so to speak.

I'm anxiously waiting to see what else Marcus will bring to the field!!! Can't wait!!!! Anyone seen both LD Bell's and Marcus' shows this year? I'd like to know how they compare. Go bands go!

I am going to be honest, I am a Hebron Alumni, I graduated 4 years ago after the show Watched. I know we always were big rivals with Marcus and I know how hard the year was last year for the kids at Hebron but I am so happy to see how far they have come this year, they are making sure they bounce back strong.

Mus1, Mus2, Perc, Mar1, Mar2, Vis, Aux = Total  1)  Marcus	 -	 2,	1,	1,	1,	1,   1,   1 = 9.75  2)  Hebron	 -	 1,	2,	2,	2,	2,   2,   3 = 9.23  3)  Haltom	 -	 3,	4,	8,	3,	3,   3,   6 = 7.49  4)  McKinney   -	 5,	3,	5,	4,	6,   6,   8 = 6.36  5)  Wylie	  -	 4,	5,	3,	6,	4,   5,   5 = 6.33  6)  Mansfield  -	 9,	7,	7,	7,	5,   4,   2 = 4.20  7)  Boyd	   -	 7,	6,   10,	8,	7,   7,   4 = 4.01  8)  Creekview  -	 6,	8,	4,	9,	9,   9,   9 = 3.20  9)  Lewisville -	10,	9,	9,	5,	8,   8,   7 = 2.77  10) Parkway	-	 8,   10,	6,   10,   10,  10,  10 = 1.66

The quality of the musical programs are very close. Hebron had two big disruptions that they need to fix and have had the same problem for two consecutive contests. To be fair, Marcus also had a big tear this week which is very atypical for them.

Marcus simply has a different level of finish and detail that others (other than perhaps LDB) can't touch. Also, Hebron also appears to be marching their entire show where Marcus has not yet completely put in their 3rd set and that will make it more comparable. There is still a lot of time to tweak these programs.

I still haven't seen LDB yet. Can't wait to add them to the mix.

Edited by Statebound