4A State Results Discussion

Difficulty is a factor on the UIL sheets, and I think it was applied more appropriately in finals than in prelims. I certainly wouldn't put Centennial or Friendswood in the "play loud and stand still" category. In fact, I think both were in the same league as Dripping Springs.

From the groups I saw, I think it's fair to say that MOST of the bands didn't fall into this category at all. They were all spectacular, really well played shows. Heck, some of my favorite shows didn't even finish top 5 this year.

Spectacular event! Much thanks to the TXBands staff for the incredible coverage! Also, to Yamaha, Mr. Video and the UIL for the live stream. 2 days full of live band just a mouse click away was awesome!

So proud of the Cedar Park band! Amazing performances yesterday! Y'all blow me away every time! I was so glad that the camera on the live feed panned back out during finals to capture that awesome 4-to-5 pass through.

Congratulations to all the bands that competed! I was impressed with the high quality of everyone's performances. Between these past 2 days and BOA San Antonio this past weekend, what a great showcase of Texas marching band we have had!

How about centennial.?! They came from no where to get 3rd in state finals! And not to mention winning area B! Probably one of the hardest areas in Texas!

Congratulations to Centennial! They did great!

All 4 Area D Bands were in Finals! That's a tough area too.

Edited by geebee1022

Cedar Park didn't run away with it.

http://utdirect.utexas.edu/uilsmbc/lbw2_sc...;s_display_sw=R

Them and dripping springs were very close.

AMAZING bands, congrats to all!

Hey Drummantx - CP really did walk away with the title. If you consider on the whole that there were 10 different judges evaluating all 10 of the final bands between their prelim and finals - then realize that 8 out of 10 judges on the day evaluated CP as the #1 band. I think CP improved their performance for Finals in the same way that those finishing in the top 5 did - because you never know what the next set of judges may like or not. Every band, all 24, deserved to be in the Alamodome yesterday and you are right -

Amazing bands across the entire day - Congrats to All !!

Just want to be sure that proper credit is given to CP - 8 out of 10 judges say - CP is definitely #1 this UIL Season. :rolleyes:

Britt gave Dripping Springs 4th in music? Really? Were we listening to the same bands?

I really hope this topic doesn't go down this route. I think you could make a real case that any of 5 or 6 bands could have been ranked 1st. (Not taking anything away from the winner when I say that, I'm just giving respect to all of the great bands.) 4th isn't controversial at all. This year was my 10th as a marching band parent and our 4th trip the State Marching contest. I've seen a lot wider range of scores than 1st to 4th. Dripping Springs should be very proud of their performance. They did an amazing job. This doesn't hit the radar screen of scores that seem a little nutty.

We once went with a band that got 4 first place rankings and an 8th. We finished 3rd that year. The only thing that still bothers me is our band director had such a bitter attitude about it and that is what my children remember. I wish my girls had no knowledge of the breakdown of the scores. All those months of hard work, a fantastic ride through all the contests leading up to State and all the pride of a job well done thrown away because one judge didn't care for their show? They remember the year they got robbed instead of the year they really did a great job and finished 3rd in State!

I really hope this topic doesn't go down this route. I think you could make a real case that any of 5 or 6 bands could have been ranked 1st. (Not taking anything away from the winner when I say that, I'm just giving respect to all of the great bands.) 4th isn't controversial at all. This year was my 10th as a marching band parent and our 4th trip the State Marching contest. I've seen a lot wider range of scores than 1st to 4th. Dripping Springs should be very proud of their performance. They did an amazing job. This doesn't hit the radar screen of scores that seem a little nutty.

We once went with a band that got 4 first place rankings and an 8th. We finished 3rd that year. The only thing that still bothers me is our band director had such a bitter attitude about it and that is what my children remember. I wish my girls had no knowledge of the breakdown of the scores. All those months of hard work, a fantastic ride through all the contests leading up to State and all the pride of a job well done thrown away because one judge didn't care for their show? They remember the year they got robbed instead of the year they really did a great job and finished 3rd in State!

I don't think he/she meant this to be inflammatory. Believe me, we're very proud of getting 2nd at what probably was one of, if not THE most competitive 4A state competitions ever. We had a blast performing our show this year and are glad we got to do it in the dome. Cedar Park had an amazing show in prelims and finals. They deserved the title. We're glad we could be even that close in competition to them.

Also, huge congraddulations to Vandy and Lake Travis for an excellent first showing at state. Our band is very proud of y'all. Having all of the area D bands in finals was awesome.

I was extremely proud to see Lake Travis congratulate CP and DS on their gold and silver placements in the stands at the dome.

Hey Drummantx - CP really did walk away with the title. If you consider on the whole that there were 10 different judges evaluating all 10 of the final bands between their prelim and finals - then realize that 8 out of 10 judges on the day evaluated CP as the #1 band. I think CP improved their performance for Finals in the same way that those finishing in the top 5 did - because you never know what the next set of judges may like or not. Every band, all 24, deserved to be in the Alamodome yesterday and you are right -

Amazing bands across the entire day - Congrats to All !!

Just want to be sure that proper credit is given to CP - 8 out of 10 judges say - CP is definitely #1 this UIL Season. :rolleyes:

By that I meant that they didn't sweep, Cedar Park performed their very challenging show EXTREMELY well and definetely deserved to win, I was just saying they didn't have a perfect score, Dripping Springs put on an EXTREMELY clean finals run. Those 2 were definetely in a leagure of the own from a cleanliness standpoint. COMPLETELY agree with the results! :D

I am the parent of a Freshman. Of course, this is my first year in marching band so I know very little. But, I must say that yesterday was incredible. Each and every student on that field demonstrated an incredibly high level of commitment and talent. I know the hours that have gone into our program and I just wanted to commend each school for their amazing level of dedication.

Honestly, I do not know where I have seen so much talent in one place in one day ever before. And, I must say all of the student band members demonstrated good sportsmanship and appreciation for each other.

Our band did not place in the top three, but I am so proud of the way they handled themselves before, during and after their performances. They are a great group and I am honored to be able to be a small part of their program.

Thank you all for the information given in the discussions here. I have so much to learn as I was never involved in band or music myself and you all have helped educate me a little!

MK

Proud Dawson Mom

That's where I had them too. It was a deep field....nothing to get indignant about.

Didnt' mean to sound indignant. Just curious. Every band going in yesterday stood a chance of going to finals and every band in finals stood was capable of taking first. It was a great line up of hard working students. I was very impressed with all of the bands and the sportsmanship shown.

I wasn't trying to go down any negative route. Very clearly, Cedar Park brought it to the Alamodome. I am constantly blown away by the dedication of students, directors and parents in band programs throughout Texas. Once again this year, there was excellence on the field throughout the day. I never meant to diminish that by my comment.

Thank you very much. Being a very proud LTHS band mom, your kind words really mean a lot. Yes, seeing that this was our first trip ever in the 30 year history of our district, I believe we did very well.

Just being able to be there yesterday was quite an honor among so many great competitors. Just because a band may have not been in the final ten, all are still winners. All 24 are in a very elite group....one of 24 best 4A bands in all of Texas. Pretty amazing once you put it all into perspective.....

Also, huge congraddulations to Vandy and Lake Travis for an excellent first showing at state. Our band is very proud of y'all. Having all of the area D bands in finals was awesome.

I was actually pretty suprised that Dawson and Vandergrift finished where they did. Fairly odd; but I guess it's the judges decision, not ours.

Congragulations to everyone that was there.

Friendswood and Dawson represented Area F well. I also was surprised by Vandegrift's finals placement - I figured they would finish in the top 5. This was definitely a really exciting contest and probably the toughest 4A contest ever.

I thinkany bands took a huge risk this year like Wakeland, turning the whole band to gold in under 30 seconds.

Idk. Cedar Park playing non-stop Mahler with that absolutely RIDICULOUS drill at the tempo they march and sounding as epic in the dome as they did seems like a HUGE risk to me. Mahler isn't easy. And it's even harder when you add that drill. All this to say, I think every band this season had quite a few risky moments in their shows.

Area D is really turning into the most competitive area in Texas for band. Eight of the BOA finalists were Area D bands, and all four of the Area D bands attending 4A state were finalists. Plus, there were other bands in Area D that didn't make the top four at the area contest and therefore didn't advance that would have done really well at state.

All in all, next year is looking like another competitive year for Area D.