Area Competitions!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! What a showing in that region -- according to the UIL results page, only one two was given and every band received 1's overall. http://www.uilforms.com/marchrptuilpublic.asp

Yeah. Every school got a one overall, but Lake Dallas got 2, 1, 1 as their scores. Their band went nuts at announcements though. It was cool to see.

Area F 4A Results:

1. Dawson (Advanced)

2. Friendswood (Advanced)

3. Clear Falls

4. Huntsville

5. Willis

6. Galena Park

7. Vidor

8. Montgomery

9. Little Cypress - Mauriceville

10. Barbers Hill

11. Port Neches - Groves

12. Texas City

Willis placed higher than I expected (but still happy they did, since I student taught there).....so switch Willis with Galena Park and you would've had my Top 5 predictions in perfect order.

whoo! :) and btw, i love your show. just wonderful!

Yeah it was pretty impressive. And thanks so much. :) You went to Newman Smith, right? Because I'm convinced that our success this year is mostly due to Mr Centera coming in. I can't wait to see what we have in coming years though, because this was kind of a weird transition year for us.

Yeah it was pretty impressive. And thanks so much. :) You went to Newman Smith, right? Because I'm convinced that our success this year is mostly due to Mr Centera coming in. I can't wait to see what we have in coming years though, because this was kind of a weird transition year for us.

I did go to Smith during the Centera Era. He's a great man and I'm glad to hear about the successful he is having at Centennial. I know both him and Wykoff (She student teached at my HS during my senior year). And I'm currently on the band staff at Smith so I do see them often :)

But what a great day for Region 24 yesterday!

I did go to Smith during the Centera Era. He's a great man and I'm glad to hear about the successful he is having at Centennial. I know both him and Wykoff (She student teached at my HS during my senior year). And I'm currently on the band staff at Smith so I do see them often :)

But what a great day for Region 24 yesterday!

I've been going to Centennial pre-Centera and am currently a field staff member there this year. He's a great director. Our prior staff laid such a strong foundation of excellence, and I'm glad to see that Mr. C is continuing the tradition.

I honestly have to say Newman Smith is one of the strongest bands in Area B right now. But I do look forward to giving you guys a run for your money Saturday. =] Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition. lol.

To emphasize the competitiveness of Area D even more...

Area D will (most likely) send 5 bands to state. The top 4 spots will be filled with Vandegrift, Cedar Park, Dripping Springs, and Lake Travis (in no particular order). However, the 5th spot is still "up for grabs". Competing for that spot are:

-Hendrickson (5th at State 2005, 2007, and 2009),

-Connally (2nd at state in 2007),

-Vista Ridge (6th at state in 2007 and 22(?)nd at 5A state in 2008),

-McCallum (consistent area finalist),

-LBJ (12th at state in 2009),

-Hays (10th at state in 2009),

and who knows who else may have a really strong year this year.

Basically, 6 bands are competing for that 5th spot in Area D.

On another note, it's safe to make the assumption that any band making Area D finals has a VERY strong chance to make State finals (should they have the opportunity). It's crazy how much talent is in this Area, and I really hope the judges (including the Hebron head director and the Argyle head director) are really ready to make some hard/tough calls next Saturday.

Area D will be sending 22 bands (Region 18 = 9, Region 26 = 8, Region 8 = 3, and Region 12 = 2) with only 4 of those advancing to state on November 8. I have to agree with your prediction mentioned above for the four advancing to state. I have seen the shows of all 4 and not that I am biased or anything, but I believe Lake Travis' show is by far the best. Lake Travis did beat Dripping Springs at the USSBA competition back in September but then then Drip beat Lake Travis at the Westlake Festival by only .3 of a point. Lake Travis came in fourth at the Vista Ridge Marching Festival behind 1st/Vandegrift, 2nd/Cedar Park, and 3rd/Westlake (5A). Lake Travis placed 1st at the USSBA, 5th at Westlake, and 4th at Vista Ridge so they have really been coming on strong this year. Whatever the outcome next weekend, I wish all bands the best of luck!

http://www.uilforms.com/regions/19/AreaMar...eaF-Results.pdf

Here are the official scores and everything from Area F.

Pretty consistent judging.....the only things that stick out are the judge #1 score hijacking (which means the results would've leaned slightly more towards Judge #1 if this were a score-based contest instead of ordinal-based), and also Huntsville receiving 4th/11th in Marching and the 5th/9th/11th ranking for Barbers Hill in Music. Other than that the judging was pretty consistent.

Even though a sizable gap separated Dawson/Friendswood from Clear Falls & Huntsville (and also a marginal gap between Hville and CF), both schools were only 1 rank-point away from being the 3rd band to go to State. If 1 more Music judge had ranked Clear Falls 3rd or better, or if either of the Marching judges had ranked Huntsville 3rd or better, F would have sent 3 bands to State instead of 2 (much like how Galena Park got to be the 3rd band to go with Friendswood and Dawson in 2009).

Also, look at the following hypothetical situation:

Band M1 M2 M3 - V1 V2

Dawson 1 1 4 - 1 4

Friendswood 2 2 1 - 2 2

Clear Falls 3 4 2 - 4 1

Huntsville 4 3 3 - 3 3

Under this judging conclusion, all 4 bands would have advanced from Area F based on UIL's "Rule of Three".

(pardon my crappy indents)

And actually this would've happened for real if Judge 3 swapped his scores for Clear Falls and Friendswood, and Judge 4 swapped his scores for LC-Mauriceville & Huntsville.

I hate to break this, but I hope the best result comes from this. Mesquite Poteet has been DISQUALIFIED from Saturdays Area C contest.....The new director at Poteet messed up on his papers and instead of lying about it where nobody would have ever known, he told the truth and now Poteet is out. The school has one full day to try and get the band back into the contest..... I hope that they allow the band to compete, seeing as its something so small and he did tell the truth about it, but I don't know to much about how this works or odds, but by the time Poteet plays their football game Friday night we will know 100% if they are going to be in or out of Saturday... I will keep updating this as I get new information, but for now this is what the facts are.

I hate to break this, but I hope the best result comes from this. Mesquite Poteet has been DISQUALIFIED from Saturdays Area C contest.....The new director at Poteet messed up on his papers and instead of lying about it where nobody would have ever known, he told the truth and now Poteet is out. The school has one full day to try and get the band back into the contest..... I hope that they allow the band to compete, seeing as its something so small and he did tell the truth about it, but I don't know to much about how this works or odds, but by the time Poteet plays their football game Friday night we will know 100% if they are going to be in or out of Saturday... I will keep updating this as I get new information, but for now this is what the facts are.

Thats Awful, I hope it works out

I really hope they allow Poteet to compete. I'd hate to see any band kept out of the state competition because of something as small as what sounds like a paperwork issue. Kudos to the director for handling it the way he did.

WOH!

SPEECHLESS!!!!!!

I'm with you. Fingers crossed they can get this ordeal situated ASAP!

Got word that they do get to march now

I just received a text that Poteet is being allowed to march now

As they should. A really noble move by the director to be honest about what ever this malpractice was. That's why I love the band world. Only in band will you see leaders admit to a mistake that no one would notice. Would you see this from a coach? Heck no...and this past year of college sports drama has done a pretty good job of proving that. I'm ecstatic to hear that his honesty was rewarded.

Great to hear that Poteet is now going to compete at area after all.